Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

On 08/01/2020 02:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but
virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.

Even my Timex Expedition wris****ch ticks. It's normally not noticeable
but if it's very quiet I can hear it. Last weekend I was out in the
woods and I noticed the car was doing something about 8 hours after it
had last been operated. I assume it was the fuel pump.

A lot of things ain't what they used to be but despite a lifetime of
motorcycles, glasspaks, and guns I still have wolf ears.