Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wifi garage door add-on recommendations?

Does anyone have a wifi *add-on* for their garage door opener that allows them to open/close/check status with their smartphone? If so, what model are you using and are you happy with it? Ive read a lot of reviews and most complain about the door sensors battery dying too often, especially due to cold weather/winter. Thanks!
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is just scary. People are getting to the point that if they lose
their phone, they are powerless and the person who has it is
omnipotent.
Any single point failure that can destroy or even seriously disrupt
your life as much as how much people have on their phone is simply
stupid.

Not to digress too much: all phones in my family have automatic passcodes so no one can just take phone and use it. And we'll still keep the outdoor wireless keypad on the exterior of the garage. But it's sometimes unreliable and tired of having the missus complain about it. So intent is to have another option. I don't want to rip out the current opener just for built-in WiFi capability. Other input and (especially) product recommendations greatly appreciated. Looking for an add-on. Thanks!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prior to my existing opener, I had an older Liftmaster unit and attached
a Chamberlain WiFi adapter to it. When the Liftmaster finally went
kaput, I bought a Chamberlain WiFi ready opener. I am in complete
control over it with my phone. It alerts me whenever it opens and
closes. I can open or close it from my phone from anywhere. It has a
backup battery in case of power outage, which has happened a few times
and quite useful. SO far, the battery is functioning well with about 8
years since I bought it. Additionally, I can purchase (and have
purchased) other connective devices to control lights in the home. I am
very happy with it.

When you had Liftmaster w/Chamberlain WiFi adapter, do you recall the name/model of the WiFi adapter, and did it have a battery-operated sensor on the door, and did that sensor run low on battery too often or die due to cold weather??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prior to my existing opener, I had an older Liftmaster unit and attached
a Chamberlain WiFi adapter to it. When the Liftmaster finally went
kaput, I bought a Chamberlain WiFi ready opener. I am in complete
control over it with my phone. It alerts me whenever it opens and
closes. I can open or close it from my phone from anywhere. It has a
backup battery in case of power outage, which has happened a few times
and quite useful. SO far, the battery is functioning well with about 8
years since I bought it. Additionally, I can purchase (and have
purchased) other connective devices to control lights in the home. I am
very happy with it.

When you had the Chamberlain WiFi adapter, did that also require a batter-operated sensor on the door, and did that battery run low too often or die in winter??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2019 6:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 2:32:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:50:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone have a wifi *add-on* for their garage door opener that allows them to open/close/check status with their smartphone? If so, what model are you using and are you happy with it? Ive read a lot of reviews and most complain about the door sensors battery dying too often, especially due to cold weather/winter. Thanks!
Theodore

This is just scary. People are getting to the point that if they lose
their phone, they are powerless and the person who has it is
omnipotent.
Any single point failure that can destroy or even seriously disrupt
your life as much as how much people have on their phone is simply
stupid.

Your phone can and should have a passcode and/or fingerprint authentication.
I would expect that the Wifi door app also has a provision for a passcode.
So, I don't see it as an unacceptable risk. If you lose your phone, the
odds that someone is going to get into it, use it to open your garage door
before you figure out your phone is gone and take action, is remote.
If I need a new unit, I'd look for it as a feature. There have been times
when I'm away and start wondering if I closed the garage door. Especially
if you're already a long way away, at the airport, etc., it would be very
handy to be able to check.

I was talking to someone recently after my phone quit accepting my
fingerprint or password who had the same thing happen to him. He had the
additional problem of having $10,000 in crypto currency that his only
access to was through that phone. He seemed to think that there was no
way for him to get access to that money again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 10:09:57 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Guess that's what happens when you screw around with crypto currency?
Seems mighty odd to me. I don't know of any other app or accounts
that work that way. When you say your phone wouldn't accept fingerprints
or password? code?, what was it doing? Rejecting them as invalid or just
refusing to allow them to be entered? What phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2019 10:09 AM, Bob F wrote:

I was talking to someone recently after my phone quit accepting my
fingerprint or password who had the same thing happen to him. He had the
additional problem of having $10,000 in crypto currency that his only
access to was through that phone. He seemed to think that there was no
way for him to get access to that money again.

Crypto currency is too scary for me. I like real US dollars and Euros.
I keep them in banks or under the mattress and have not lost any yet. I
can contact my bank through my phone, any computer, or I can even walk
through the door at the bank.

To have access from one breakable method is irresponsible, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love Usenet, but please stay on topic. This thread is not about phone security or cryptocurrency. I just need WiFi door opener add-on recommendations. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

This has been very helpful! Thank you all very much for the advice!!