Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wifi garage door add-on recommendations?

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 2:32:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:50:16 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone have a wifi *add-on* for their garage door opener that allows them to open/close/check status with their smartphone? If so, what model are you using and are you happy with it? Ive read a lot of reviews and most complain about the door sensors battery dying too often, especially due to cold weather/winter. Thanks!
Theodore

This is just scary. People are getting to the point that if they lose
their phone, they are powerless and the person who has it is
omnipotent.
Any single point failure that can destroy or even seriously disrupt
your life as much as how much people have on their phone is simply
stupid.

Your phone can and should have a passcode and/or fingerprint authentication..
I would expect that the Wifi door app also has a provision for a passcode.
So, I don't see it as an unacceptable risk. If you lose your phone, the
odds that someone is going to get into it, use it to open your garage door
before you figure out your phone is gone and take action, is remote.
If I need a new unit, I'd look for it as a feature. There have been times
when I'm away and start wondering if I closed the garage door. Especially
if you're already a long way away, at the airport, etc., it would be very
handy to be able to check.