Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ontel Handy Heater

This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2019 9:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Should be OK:

"A 725-watt refrigerator draws 725/120 = 6 amps."

I googled that for refrigerator start up.

My wife has popped the breaker on our kitchen when using toaster oven
and space heater at the same time. That's overdoing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:06:18 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

If it's a 300W heater then it should be pulling 300W. They probably over
state it to account for any possible variation in the actual heating
element. It will be fine on a 15A circuit with the fridge, even if
it's an older one, unless there are other significant loads there that add up.
New fridges only pull a few hundred watts for a few
seconds when starting and then typically go down to under 100W or less.
On the other hand, you're not going to get a lot of heat from a 300W
heater, but it could be fine, depending on what type and what you're
trying to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jan 2019 14:06:13 GMT, KenK wrote:

This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?
Suggestions?
TIA

Is it this unit ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Ontel-Products.../dp/B01L9UKAHM

... that plugs directly into the receptacle ? or something that
actualy has a power cord ?
The unit in this link looks like a total piece of crap, to me -
for a variety of reasons
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
KenK wrote:

This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Ken-

The worst thing that can happen would be a blown circuit breaker.
Assuming you would notice the loss of power, a refrigerator should keep
cool for several hours. (After storm-caused outages, my refrigerator
keeps solid ice for 8 hours overnight.)

But you are right, it makes no sense. Perhaps they use the same
instruction sheet for higher power heaters.

On the other hand, 400 Watts is not much of a heater. It would only be
good for a small area or a small amount of warming.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jan 2019 14:06:13 GMT, KenK wrote:

This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?
Suggestions?
TIA

If you have ruled-out a radient heater, as several people suggested
in the previous thread - and are set-on an electric heater - why
not one like this :

http://tinyurl.com/ycz98wyh

It has a 6 ft power cord ; high & low heat settings ;
and a couple safety features - all for approx. the same money
as the Ontel Handy Heater ..

https://www.amazon.ca/Ontel-Products.../dp/B01L9UKAHM

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2019 6:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Personally, I'd never add such a device to a fridge circuit. If, due to
a simultaneous start surge it somehow pops the breaker while you are
gone, you could lose everything in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 06:47:49 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

If you want more heat from the heater, by making it run more of the
time, put it in the refrigerator. That will keep it cool so it will run
all the time. This is one of the advantages of plugging it into the
same outlet, you won't need an extension cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:51:51 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 1/23/2019 6:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Personally, I'd never add such a device to a fridge circuit. If, due to
a simultaneous start surge it somehow pops the breaker while you are
gone, you could lose everything in it.

I was going to point out that in the past several people here advised
just what you say, and in fact to put nothing else on the fridge
circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/19 2:51 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/23/2019 6:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Personally, I'd never add such a device to a fridge circuit. If, due to a simultaneous start surge it somehow pops the breaker while you are gone, you could lose everything in it.

The bigger danger is an unattended plug-in space heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2019 9:19 AM, Frank wrote:
On 1/23/2019 9:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Should be OK:

"A 725-watt refrigerator draws 725/120 = 6 amps."

I googled that for refrigerator start up.

My wife has popped the breaker on our kitchen when using toaster oven
and space heater at the same time.Â* That's overdoing it.

Might be that the lost 100 watts are for a fan and for the electronic
temperature control. Hey, heat is heat! Also, in the old days, maybe
only 35 years ago, many new houses didn't have a dedicated circuit for
the fridge. In my old house, built in 1971, there were 2 20A circuits
in the kitchen. The fridge was on one, but there were other outlets on
that circuit as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2019 9:06 AM, KenK wrote:
This is a 300 W space heater that plugs directly into outlet. Says uses
400W. Oddly, instructions say it should be only item on electric
circuit.
Makes no sensa - 400W leaves about 11 A available. The circuit I plan to
use also feeds the refridgerator. Should work ok, right?

Suggestions?

TIA

Should be OK:

"A 725-watt refrigerator draws 725/120 = 6 amps."

I googled that for refrigerator start up.

My wife has popped the breaker on our kitchen when using toaster oven
and space heater at the same time.Â* That's overdoing it.

Might be that the lost 100 watts are for a fan and for the electronic
temperature control.Â* Hey, heat is heat!Â* Also, in the old days, maybe
only 35 years ago, many new houses didn't have a dedicated circuit for
the fridge.Â* In my old house, built in 1971, there were 2 20A circuits
in the kitchen.Â* The fridge was on one, but there were other outlets on
that circuit as well.

My wiring is strange in parts. House is 45 years old. I don't know how
many circuits in the kitchen not including electric range on its own
circuit. When I got a generator years ago and a transfer box, they were
supposed to include the refrigerator but missed it and I need to run a
cord from an active circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/19 8:57 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

My wiring is strange in parts.Â* House is 45 years old.Â* I don't know how
many circuits in the kitchen not including electric range on its own
circuit.

My house is 20 years old, and the outlet behind the refrigerator (a
strange place for a heater) is almost on a dedicated circuit.
Unexpectedly, the bathroom light is on it too.

[snip]

I did a actually plug a microwave in there too. It's been that way for
almost 15 years, and no problem yet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Church teachings are but fiction. I have knowledge of their inanity."
-- Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2019 2:57 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 1/24/19 8:57 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

My wiring is strange in parts.Â* House is 45 years old.Â* I don't know
how many circuits in the kitchen not including electric range on its
own circuit.

My house is 20 years old, and the outlet behind the refrigerator (a
strange place for a heater) is almost on a dedicated circuit.
Unexpectedly, the bathroom light is on it too.

[snip]

I did a actually plug a microwave in there too. It's been that way for
almost 15 years, and no problem yet.

Wife's portable heaters are 1,500 watts. Plugged into other parts of
the house have tripped breaker.

I got her an air fryer for Christmas. She loves it and will not turn on
the portable heater in the kitchen when in use. She was worried about
small TV there but I pointed out that it only uses 40 watts.

People should understand power requirements of appliances and also
recognize that power spikes are needed to start electric motors and too
much load can trip breakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/19 2:17 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

People should understand power requirements of appliances and also
recognize that power spikes are needed to start electric motors and too
much load can trip breakers.

That reminds me of some safety instructions I heard once that said
prevent overloads by never plugging more than 2 things into a
receptacle, as if it didn't matter whether they were 2 little LED
nightlights or 2 1500W heaters.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"No kingdom has shed more blood than the kingdom of Christ."
[Montiesque]