Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can I find replacement pipes like these?

hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2018 4:01 PM, wrote:
hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

??? What kind of "plumber" can't get 1/2" copper?

Other than the what looks like bath handles set which probably ought to
be updated, too, what's the issue?

What says have to replace with copper, anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:01:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

common 1/2 inch copper pipe - available at any hardware or building
supply. Need new tub/shower faucet set - available from the same
places. Can also transition to PEX. All in all a simple repair -
should run under $500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/18 4:01 PM, wrote:
hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

Is there something odd about the size? Your stuff doesn't look
like anything
odd. A second opinion would be a good idea. Just for fun, measure
the outside
diameter of your pipes, then do the same at the local hardware store.
People will
be more than happy to help at a good store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 6:22:29 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/27/18 4:01 PM, wrote:
hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

Is there something odd about the size? Your stuff doesn't look
like anything
odd. A second opinion would be a good idea. Just for fun, measure
the outside
diameter of your pipes, then do the same at the local hardware store.
People will
be more than happy to help at a good store.

+1

looks like 1/2" copper and why does the pipe have to be replaced?
Looks like a crappy bath tub or shower faucet backside, if that has
to be replaced it's easy to cut the copper existing pipe and solder
on new pipe and fittings to mate to the new faucet, unless like Dean
says, it's some odd size copper pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:01:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?
Thanks!
http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

Don't let that "plumber" into your home ever again !
From what I see in the photo, you will need :
: a new 2 handle shower faucet unit $ 70.
: 3 connectors
: 2 shut off valves optional
: a short length of pex piping

http://tinyurl.com/yavj7eh9

The badly oxidized pipe should be cut off down where
a clean connection can be made.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/18 4:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

Looks like soft copper TUBING, not pipe. Just be aware tubing is sized
by OD, not ID so 1/2" pipe is the same size as 5/8" tubing. They ran
that in my house too when the retro fitted the bad pipe under the slab
with tubing in the attic. Since tubing comes in big rolls they did not
have to lay on their belly in a 2.5:12 attic making a lot of joints,
They pretty much "fished" the whole thing. If they don't have it at
the plumbing supply, try a HVAC supplier. They use the same stuff for
line sets.
I also agree CPVC or PEX is a cheaper alternative and if you have bad
water, a better one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:01:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

hi
this house was built in 1955 and we think these pipes are original.
These pipes have to be replaced now
And the plumber said that if he cant find compatible or original pipes it will be a bigger job.
Does anyone know where to find replacement pipes?

Thanks!

http://tinypic.com/r/15dxav9/9

The kind word for this is upselling.

But con-job seems to fit also.

No plumbing stories but I had a noise in the car exhaust,

Went to Mr. Tire - no time to look at it today.
Went to Midas, 360 to replace flexible exhaust pipe.
But they recommended replacing exhaust pipe to muffler (but not
muffler) $750.
Does that mean I get new 02 sensors? No, we take out your old ones and
put them in the new pipe. But I'm sure when the time came they'd try to
sell me new ones at 240 each, right, so now we're up to 1230.

Ended up going to a shop not in the suburbs, closer to the city, what
would have been a new n'hood in the 1940's. He didn't even have to look
at the car. He heard me drive in and said it was the flexible pipe.
180 for the flexible pipe. Counting sales tax, but not under the
counter. Paid with credit card. Quiet as a kitten.

The part at retail is only $20 and it took him 20 minutes, so he still
made good money, but Midas recommends I spend more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Midas and the other "chain" shops will always try the upsell.

Always referred to them as BOHICA Automotive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Is some of this because the stores near me are in the suburbs where
people have more money and some people have loads of money, so they
think, "I'd better replace a (perfectly good) pipe now so it won't ruin
my day playing cards with Nancy and the girls" or "so it won't break
down in the rain", but in the city people wait until it's actually at
least partly broken?

Always referred to them as BOHICA Automotive.

BOHICA? I looked it up. Never heard it before.

They used to constantly advertise a lifetime guarantee, but it didn't
include clamps, you learned when you wanted warranty service, and
somehow the charge for new clamps was, I'm told, as much as the charge
for the muffler and pipes.

BTW, this is not the right thread, but there was a link in a plumbing
thread and it sent me to Home Depot which always changes what my local
store is. Walmart and Target doe this too. This time it claimed my
local store was Niagara Falls NY! Even though I'm in Baltimore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:45:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 01:13:53 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/27/2018 6:55 PM, wrote:

Looks like soft copper TUBING, not pipe. ...

The lower _may_ be, but I'd be virtually certain the upper runs are pipe.

The kink in the lower L _may_ indicate tubing, but I think it was/is
just pipe somebody bent rather than run a small offset.

Either way, it's common as can be albeit there are cheaper alternatives
but again, it's likely the pipe itself doesn't actually need to be
replaced other than perhaps a short section near the bath set it the
corrosion there is bad enough.

You would never get away with trying to make those bends in hard
copper pipe. It has to be tubing.

I saw that bend and wondered about it too. I've never tried to bend
copper pipe like that. Also never seen it before, which I guess we would
if it was possible, easy, practical, because it would be very useful.
So, I think you're right that it's some kind of tubing, which would then
make part of what the plumber says true.

The remaining issue then is you'd need a transition fitting from what's
there to either new copper, Pex, etc. You'd think such a fitting
would exist. It certainly exists for any tubing in use today, ancient
stuff, IDK, but you'd think that if it was tubing made for plumbing use,
then fittings would still be available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Always referred to them as BOHICA Automotive.

HAAAAA Haven't seen that term in awhile. The MIDAS touch - to your wallet.

--
Tekkie