Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home repairs

Have not been posting here for several months as I have been doing
repairs rather than talking about it.

Built a room in the basement.
Repaired water leaks in foundation.
Trimmed bushes.
Painting.
Repaired porch.
Vacuumed rafters in basement of my 120 year old house.
Minor plumbing work.
Got rid of 500# of old computer parts.
Replaced rotted exterior woodwork.

Much more...and a lot of physical work....more than I've done in years.

Though most of my repairs are sort of half-assed...the good news is at
69 years old I have been doing the amount of work I used to do when I
was 40.

After my knees were replaced, due to less activity I was up to a 36"
waist pants and 180#.

I am now 165# and 32" waist...which has set me back 25 years.

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 8:18 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

Need some other things on the list?

Good on ya'...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

My wife has a never ending list.

I could not do much in the 5 years or so before my surgery and for at
least a few years after....so in a house this old there is always
something to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 9:18 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

I have nearly 10 years on you but now old with all that experience
cannot physically do it all. Just had in a plumber to do repairs I
could have done myself. He also straightened out one half assed job I
had done myself. Also had the asphalt drive seal coated. Something I
used to do myself. Then this year, sadly had to hire a lawn service.
There is always something for a home owner to do whether capable or not.
I have seen older neighbors let these home repairs go and the home
deteriorate. Next door neighbor passed on last year and widow had to
sell the house for half what it could have if in repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2018 09:38 AM, RonNNN wrote:

Though most of my repairs are sort of half-assed...the good news is at
69 years old I have been doing the amount of work I used to do when I
was 40.

After my knees were replaced, due to less activity I was up to a 36"
waist pants and 180#.

I am now 165# and 32" waist...which has set me back 25 years.

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

Why are you posting about home repair in this group? Don't
you know this group is for political rants only?

Ok then:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2018 10:09 AM, Frank wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

I have nearly 10 years on you but now old with all that experience
cannot physically do it all.* Just had in a plumber to do repairs I
could have done myself.* He also straightened out one half assed job I
had done myself.* Also had the asphalt drive seal coated.* Something I
used to do myself.* Then this year, sadly had to hire a lawn service.
There is always something for a home owner to do whether capable or not.
*I have seen older neighbors let these home repairs go and the home
deteriorate.* Next door neighbor passed on last year and widow had to
sell the house for half what it could have if in repair.

One thing I do not do anymore is go up on high ladders....four or five
feet is my limit...unless the wife is not watching.

When I did the concrete floor, rather than picking up the 60# bags and
drywall... I had them delivered for a small fee.

When they got here the guy said:

Alright hop up on the the truck and get 'em.

LOL, I told him my days of hopping up on the truck are over and I made
him use the damn forklift that was riding attached to the back of the truck.

Though I had to get them to my house from there, the neighbor's kids
came running over to help even though I said I could do it myself.

Two kids, gave 'em $20 each...worth it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2018 10:30 AM, Bod wrote:
On 15/07/2018 16:29, philo wrote:
On 07/15/2018 09:38 AM, RonNNN wrote:

Though most of my repairs are sort of half-assed...the good news is at
69 years old I have been doing the amount of work I used to do when I
was 40.

After my knees were replaced, due to less activity I was up to a 36"
waist pants and 180#.

I am now 165# and 32" waist...which has set me back 25 years.

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

Why are you posting about home repair in this group? Don't
you know this group is for political rants only?

Ok then:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

:-)

No Trump fan and it was rude, but what the hell...
what is the use of a Royal Family?

One of the few things Trump did wrong that really didn't bother me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 11:29 AM, philo wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

Why are you posting about home repair in this group? Don't
you know this group is for political rants only?

Ok then:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

Yeah, but at least he didn't grab her pussy like he bragged about with
other women.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:18:44 -0500, philo wrote:

Much more...and a lot of physical work....more than I've done in years.

"Work?!" When I hear that word I break out in hives. Must be an
allergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzpQPDSr2s"
--
"Your brain is so scary sometimes... it really is."-Jedediah Bila...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/07/2018 16:45, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:18:44 -0500, philo wrote:

Much more...and a lot of physical work....more than I've done in years.

"Work?!" When I hear that word I break out in hives. Must be an
allergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzpQPDSr2s"

*Work* is the filthiest of all the 4 letter words.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:41:22 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/15/2018 11:29 AM, philo wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

Why are you posting about home repair in this group? Don't
you know this group is for political rants only?

Ok then:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

Yeah, but at least he didn't grab her pussy like he bragged about with
other women.

So you've never said anything malapropos or lascivious when you were involved in "guy talk"? Trump was recorded without his knowledge or permission and he wasn't running for public office at the time. I don't believe he's been fellated in The Oval Office yet or he hasn't been accused of a tryst with an intern. If he was a Democrat/Commiecrat, talking about sexual encounters with anyone male/female/Gay/WTF or animal would be OK. I'm so impressed with all the angelic people posting to Usenet. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Perfect Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 11:41:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

Yeah, but at least he didn't grab her pussy like he bragged about with
other women.

Jimmy Carter kissed this Queen on the lips, really.

She said nobody had done that since her husband died.

I remember when spoke of lust in his heart about other females.
--
"There's nothing like the scent of Cordite in a woman's hair."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 8:19:08 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

Oh man, be careful and don't hurt yourself. I've had 2 orthopedic surgeons write me off. I need both knees and shoulders worked on. The surgeons are reluctant to attempt joint replacement because of the infections I've been hospitalized for. It's very frustrating to be unable to get up and go to do things that need to be done. I'm grateful for the wonderful folks helping me. Take care Phil and don't push yourself to the point of injury. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Concerned Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you want to stay away longer, I need more work done around my home as
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Good for You! I'm also 69 and finally got around to losing another
46 lbs this year. I've been riding the bike, walking, repairing and
catching up on things around here. Ketosis did it for me, actually just
another way of limiting calorie intake but it made it seem easy. I went
from obese to "normal" body mass index in a few months. Getting around
and doing things is much easier now. Falls are the number one reason
for us older folks to have to go to the emergency room. I keep that in
mind when I'm on a ladder. 6 years ago I was in pretty bad shape,
stable angina and knees hurt, since then I've lost 96 lbs, the weight of
a bag of portland cement. It's terrible what the farmers and food
industry has done to our food. Lots of sugar and HFCS and heavily
process foods. Gobs of Youtubes about it, get informed know what going
on and decide for yourself. Don't let the gal in the bikini keep ya
from paying attention.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ug1MnU6LKw
So congratulations!
If we can do it, anyone can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 11:34 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

I quit going up on the roof years a go. I believe I mentioned an 82
year old neighbor here that fell of his losing some teeth and a 75 year
old neighbor killed when cutting down a partially fallen tree. We got a
new roof this spring but 70 year old roofer has crew of younger guys
going on the roof. He just does the contractor part like estimates and
organization.

I have a hand cart for carrying anything much more than 50 pounds. THe
wife got some large bags of mulch the other day and I got out the cart
because she wanted them at a distance but before I got started a new
much younger neighbor jumped in and helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 10:45 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 08:18:44 -0500, philo wrote:

Much more...and a lot of physical work....more than I've done in years.

"Work?!" When I hear that word I break out in hives. Must be an
allergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzpQPDSr2s"

When my knees were replaced the pain med gave me hives,
I stopped taking it as the hives were worse than the pain.
It took a week for the allergy to set in so I was about to go off the
meds anyway
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 11:31 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Lot of people said that

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 12:02 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:
[...]

Good for you!

That's another thing I can't do...ride a bike.
Due to excess scar tissue in one knee my range of motion is not good enough.

Not the end of the world.

Last year I took my bike to the farmer's market and put a "fee" sign on it.

This year I saw it parked in front of a grocery store near here.

For sure it was the same bike....whoever took it finally replaced the
tires I never got around to doing....they were 40 years old!
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

[...]

72 here.

Lots of projects in the last year:

Tear out for bathroom remodel.
Tore down and removed above ground pool and deck.
Reseeded lawn.
Remodeled a closet.
All the yard work.
Painting.
Not afraid of the roof or ladders.
(Well actually they terrify me sometimes but I do it anyway.)
I once vacuumed my rafters then I wondered why I did that.

I swim 2K 3 times a week.
I pay no attention to my diet. Plenty of nutrition in a normal varied diet.
No health issues at all, I'm in as good a shape as I've ever been.
5'8, 166#.

Stay active.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/18 7:50 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
philo writes:

[...]

Are the door's counterweight springs intact?

If one or both is broken, the unsprung weight of the door is beyond the
motor's ability to lift it and the motor will grind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2018 12:06 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Friend of mine lost his 90 year old father.

He went up on the roof to check up on the roofing job and fell off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2018 06:50 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
philo writes:

72 here.

Lots of projects in the last year:

Tear out for bathroom remodel.
Tore down and removed above ground pool and deck.
Reseeded lawn.
Remodeled a closet.
All the yard work.
Painting.
Not afraid of the roof or ladders.
(Well actually they terrify me sometimes but I do it anyway.)
I once vacuumed my rafters then I wondered why I did that.

I swim 2K 3 times a week.
I pay no attention to my diet. Plenty of nutrition in a normal varied diet.
No health issues at all, I'm in as good a shape as I've ever been.
5'8, 166#.

Stay active.

That is the benefit of being active....I eat like a pig and can loose
weight too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 9:32:19 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 07/15/2018 12:06 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/15/2018 11:34 AM, philo wrote:
On 07/15/2018 10:09 AM, Frank wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start
re-doing some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my
wife...."make everything a good 15% better!"

I have nearly 10 years on you but now old with all that experience
cannot physically do it all.Â* Just had in a plumber to do repairs I
could have done myself.Â* He also straightened out one half assed job
I had done myself.Â* Also had the asphalt drive seal coated.
Something I used to do myself.Â* Then this year, sadly had to hire a
lawn service.
There is always something for a home owner to do whether capable or
not. Â*Â*I have seen older neighbors let these home repairs go and the
home deteriorate.Â* Next door neighbor passed on last year and widow
had to sell the house for half what it could have if in repair.

One thing I do not do anymore is go up on high ladders....four or five
feet is my limit...unless the wife is not watching.

When I did the concrete floor, rather than picking up the 60# bags and
drywall... I had them delivered for a small fee.

When they got here the guy said:

Alright hop up on the the truck and get 'em.

LOL, I told him my days of hopping up on the truck are over and I made
him use the damn forklift that was riding attached to the back of the
truck.

Though I had to get them to my house from there, the neighbor's kids
came running over to help even though I said I could do it myself.

Two kids, gave 'em $20 each...worth it

I quit going up on the roof years a go.Â* I believe I mentioned an 82
year old neighbor here that fell of his losing some teeth and a 75 year
old neighbor killed when cutting down a partially fallen tree.Â* We got a
new roof this spring but 70 year old roofer has crew of younger guys
going on the roof.Â* He just does the contractor part like estimates and
organization.

I have a hand cart for carrying anything much more than 50 pounds.Â* THe
wife got some large bags of mulch the other day and I got out the cart
because she wanted them at a distance but before I got started a new
much younger neighbor jumped in and helped.

Friend of mine lost his 90 year old father.

He went up on the roof to check up on the roofing job and fell off.

OMG! That's awful! Did no one try to stop the old fellow? There is a point in your life where you have to very careful about the physical tasks you try to undertake. I had to curb a lot of physical activity within the last 4 years. I stopped climbing ladders 3 years ago. I can't even walk now. It's very frustrating to be unable to get up and go whenever I want to get something done. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sympathetic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2018 3:03 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Then who are you picking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

On 07/15/2018 12:06 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/15/2018 11:34 AM, philo wrote:
On 07/15/2018 10:09 AM, Frank wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start
re-doing some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my
wife...."make everything a good 15% better!"

I have nearly 10 years on you but now old with all that experience
cannot physically do it all.Â* Just had in a plumber to do repairs
I could have done myself.Â* He also straightened out one half assed
job I had done myself.Â* Also had the asphalt drive seal coated.
Something I used to do myself.Â* Then this year, sadly had to hire
a lawn service.
There is always something for a home owner to do whether capable
or not. Â*Â*I have seen older neighbors let these home repairs go
[...]

year old neighbor killed when cutting down a partially fallen tree.Â*
We got a new roof this spring but 70 year old roofer has crew of
younger guys going on the roof.Â* He just does the contractor part
like estimates and organization.

I have a hand cart for carrying anything much more than 50 pounds.Â*
THe wife got some large bags of mulch the other day and I got out
the cart because she wanted them at a distance but before I got
started a new much younger neighbor jumped in and helped.

Friend of mine lost his 90 year old father.

He went up on the roof to check up on the roofing job and fell off.

Considering the many ways we can die, I'd count that as a great
way to go.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 11:41:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Trump was late to see the Queen.

Yeah, but at least he didn't grab her pussy like he bragged about with
other women.

Jimmy Carter kissed this Queen on the lips, really.

She said nobody had done that since her husband died.

I remember when spoke of lust in his heart about other females.

Oren, Oren, Oren, oh my. Could you please stop scarring my mind? I have much
less than optimal capacity as it is.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

[...]

Very nice accomplishments. Now that I am older and have to get people in to
find out about all my mistakes. No young people for neighbors so I have to
find people to do things.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/16/2018 08:54 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's a joke my wife and I have....

when it looks like we are getting too old....

Hey, time to check the roof!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/16/2018 02:42 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Now that my projects are done...to keep in shape I may start re-doing
some of the half-assed stuff ...and as I tell my wife...."make
everything a good 15% better!"

Very nice accomplishments. Now that I am older and have to get people in to
find out about all my mistakes. No young people for neighbors so I have to
find people to do things.

I framed a photo last night which for me is nothing new...but this time
I even cut my own mat.

It turned out fine but even before my wife came close...she said I did
it wrong!