Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe cutter?

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 9:33:52 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

I have one of those I bought years ago and it looks the same except for wear. It's better than any other pipe cutter I have in that size. I have a few other small ones but the RIDGID cutter outclasses them and does a better job. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 9:33:52 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Oh yea, the grooves in the rollers is for clearance when you cut a flare off the end of a piece of tubing. It comes in handy in certain situations. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tube Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â* I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines.Â*Â* This is one
of those once in
a billion year's projects.Â* Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

Â* do a decent job?

Â* Yes , and so will this one .

Â* https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 10:12:43 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â* I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines.Â*Â* This is one
of those once in
a billion year's projects.Â* Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

Â* do a decent job?

Â* Yes , and so will this one .

Â* https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html
--
Snag

The HF cutter is five times the size of the tiny RIGID cutter and will not get into the same close quarters. I've been able to use my little RIGID cutter in some very limited spaces. Nothing wrong with the HF cutter if you have the room to use it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tight Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2018 21:33:47 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

It will do the copper, no problem. Should handle the PVC too
although I've never used one on plastic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 May 2018 22:13:11 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
** I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines.** This is one
of those once in
a billion year's projects.* Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

* do a decent job?

* Yes , and so will this one .

* https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html

At about 1/3 the price and includes a reamer - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

The HF I would be my first choice, based on price. The HF cutter might not last as long as Rigid, but if space is not a problem, the HF should last for many more cuts than you are likely to need in a lifetime of home handyman projects, And, you can get a free light or batteries or grabber tool or magnetic strip or many other things for free at HF when you make any sort of purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2018 08:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Yes it will assuming the tubing is within the range.

That said, that's somewhat specialized. I have one that I use in tight
places where it would be impossible to swing a standard cutter. For most
jobs what I reach for first is something like

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32920-...dp/B00018AFG0/

I find the full size variety much easier to use. The design gives you a
lot more leverage to rotate the cutter. It's not that you need a huge
amount of force to swing it, but the mini versions can be awkward.

It's not a show stopper, but the full size versions also have the reamer
that swings out. No matter how slowly and gently you feed the cutter
wheel there will be a burr on the inside of the tubing. Realistically a
little burr probably wouldn't hurt but I prefer to get rid of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 10:41:19 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
[...]

The mini cutter is for close quarters work. I have the mini, medium, large and very large pipe cutters. The cutter I've used the most is the medium. Refrigeration, general restaurant maintenance, and plumbing are what I used them for. Hell, it's been several years since I was able to work. I miss being able to get up and go when something needs to be done. Dangit! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one
of those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Yes , and so will this one .

https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html

At about 1/3 the price and includes a reamer - - -

As long as the cutting wheel tracks straight... I don't know how you can
screw up a tubing cutter but the Chinese that handcraft stuff for HF
manage to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2018 09:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
The mini cutter is for close quarters work. I have the mini, medium, large and very large pipe cutters. The cutter I've used the most is the medium. Refrigeration, general restaurant maintenance, and plumbing are what I used them for. Hell, it's been several years since I was able to work. I miss being able to get up and go when something needs to be done. Dangit! o_O

When you need a mini, you need a mini. The OP didn't say if he was
working in tight spaces though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 1:35:19 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/27/2018 09:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
The mini cutter is for close quarters work. I have the mini, medium, large and very large pipe cutters. The cutter I've used the most is the medium. Refrigeration, general restaurant maintenance, and plumbing are what I used them for. Hell, it's been several years since I was able to work. I miss being able to get up and go when something needs to be done. Dangit! o_O

When you need a mini, you need a mini. The OP didn't say if he was
working in tight spaces though.

The mini does fit neatly inside a flap in my tool bag. The medium slips into the middle of the tool bag with a lot of other tools. I don't think I'm strong enough to pick up the dang tool bag anymore! Tooly the tool bag is calling to me. "Let's go boss! Let's go fix something!" Tooly doesn't like sitting around any more than I do. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/27/2018 9:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
** I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines.** This is one
of those once in
a billion year's projects.* Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

* do a decent job?

* Yes , and so will this one .

* https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-cutter-40913.html

At about 1/3 the price and includes a reamer - - -

As long as the cutting wheel tracks straight... I don't know how you can
screw up a tubing cutter but the Chinese that handcraft stuff for HF
manage to.

I bought one at a farm supply store years ago for some really odd
project. It walked down the pipe instead of making a straight cut. It's in
an iron pile somewhere. The pipe I want to cut is attached to floor
joists.
There should be room to work at least on this project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/28/2018 06:21 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I bought one at a farm supply store years ago for some really odd
project.* It walked down the pipe instead of making a straight cut.

I had one of those poorly-manufactured tubing cutters too.

If you started the cut going clockwise, the cutter would track true.

If you started the cut going anticlockwise, the cutter would start cutting a fine thread.

---

Note: For you millennials who can't read an analogue clock, try youtube for an example of clockwise motion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

I really like these types of cutters. No adjusting, very fast and
they are great in tight spots.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-ha...ter-65791.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Stated on the link:

"Designed for use in restricted spaces on small diameter hard and soft
copper, aluminum, brass and plastic tubing..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Stated on the link:

"Designed for use in restricted spaces on small diameter hard and soft
copper, aluminum, brass and plastic tubing..."

What's to say? I'm growing up to be a cynical old fart. Grumpy,
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Stated on the link:

"Designed for use in restricted spaces on small diameter hard and soft
copper, aluminum, brass and plastic tubing..."

What's to say? I'm growing up to be a cynical old fart. Grumpy,
too.

Go ahead. Just use the right tools.