Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Pipe cutter?

On 05/27/2018 08:33 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I need to cut some 1/2" copper and pvc water lines. This is one of
those once in
a billion year's projects. Will something like this
https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-40617-Quarters-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B001P307PO/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1527474324&sr =1-11&keywords=Pipe+Cutter

do a decent job?

Yes it will assuming the tubing is within the range.

That said, that's somewhat specialized. I have one that I use in tight
places where it would be impossible to swing a standard cutter. For most
jobs what I reach for first is something like

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-32920-...dp/B00018AFG0/

I find the full size variety much easier to use. The design gives you a
lot more leverage to rotate the cutter. It's not that you need a huge
amount of force to swing it, but the mini versions can be awkward.

It's not a show stopper, but the full size versions also have the reamer
that swings out. No matter how slowly and gently you feed the cutter
wheel there will be a burr on the inside of the tubing. Realistically a
little burr probably wouldn't hurt but I prefer to get rid of it.