Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A wet disk tile cutter for the price of a basic dry cutter?

What's the catch here?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...ling+Tools/QEP
+Diamond+Wheel+Wet+Tile+Cutter+450W/d150/sd3286/p10565
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2013 10:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...ling+Tools/QEP
+Diamond+Wheel+Wet+Tile+Cutter+450W/d150/sd3286/p10565

None really, its about the going price for a small machine. Note there
is a limit on the size of tile that these can do easily - about 12mm
thick (max), and probably about 10" square.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
What's the catch here?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain.../sd3286/p10565

It has a very small bed - only a foot square or so. Something like 2ft x
2ft is more like it - unless you're only ever dealing with small tiles.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/13 11:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/12/2013 10:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...ling+Tools/QEP
+Diamond+Wheel+Wet+Tile+Cutter+450W/d150/sd3286/p10565

None really, its about the going price for a small machine. Note there
is a limit on the size of tile that these can do easily - about 12mm
thick (max), and probably about 10" square.

FSVO 'esily' I have in fact cut much largetr slates and even a 1" thick
sandstone paving slab..before I have up and hired a serious diamond
wheeled stone cutter and did in 5 seconds what had taken 15 minutes.

The bloke in the shop looked surprised 'something wrong'?' 'No:
finished: I only needed it for 10 slabs and it ****ed through them'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
What's the catch here?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain.../sd3286/p10565

It has a very small bed - only a foot square or so. Something like 2ft x
2ft is more like it - unless you're only ever dealing with small tiles.

you don't have to have the tile fully supported. Its only a help to
keeping it at the right angle and location.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
What's the catch here?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain.../sd3286/p10565

It has a very small bed - only a foot square or so. Something like 2ft x
2ft is more like it - unless you're only ever dealing with small tiles.

you don't have to have the tile fully supported. Its only a help to
keeping it at the right angle and location.

Yes. You can take the guide off and freehand cut tiles that won't fit.

I've also removed the guard, rested one edge of the tile down and
lowered it to cut into the middle of a tile - allowing me to cut most of
each of the four sides of a rectangle out of the middle of a large tile
squarely, finishing off with a hand saw.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:00:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...ling+Tools/QEP
+Diamond+Wheel+Wet+Tile+Cutter+450W/d150/sd3286/p10565

None really, its about the going price for a small machine.

Looks like a "modernised" version of the old smaller Plasplugs
machine. Indeed it looks remarkably similar to the current Plasplugs
models...

Perfectly fine for most tile work undoubtly slower than scratch 'n
pray but you can do things that with scatch 'n pray would be
impossible or very tricky. Like taking a 10 mm tapering to 5 mm bit
of the edge of a tile. And as others have said freehand cutting to
cut out a slot or center area.

Use it outdoors as even with the guard it'll still spray mucky water
quite a distance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2013 17:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:00:25 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pain...ling+Tools/QEP
+Diamond+Wheel+Wet+Tile+Cutter+450W/d150/sd3286/p10565

None really, its about the going price for a small machine.

Looks like a "modernised" version of the old smaller Plasplugs
machine. Indeed it looks remarkably similar to the current Plasplugs
models...

Yup, looks much the same as the plasplugs one I have.

Perfectly fine for most tile work undoubtly slower than scratch 'n
pray but you can do things that with scatch 'n pray would be
impossible or very tricky. Like taking a 10 mm tapering to 5 mm bit
of the edge of a tile. And as others have said freehand cutting to
cut out a slot or center area.

No need for this to be an either / or situation. I tend to use both for
most tiling jobs. Score and snap for the easy straight cuts cos its
quick and mess free, and the wheel for anything more complicated like
cutouts and narrow rips etc.

Use it outdoors as even with the guard it'll still spray mucky water
quite a distance.

I also find the more use use it between water changes, the messier it
gets. (i.e. it starts spraying cleanish water, and ends up throwing tile
biscuit soup!

--
Cheers,

John.

tile cutter Mr Spoons UK diy 8 February 13th 07 07:12 PM
tile cutter John Rumm UK diy 2 February 12th 07 03:23 PM
tile cutter The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 February 12th 07 10:35 AM
tile cutter Guy King UK diy 6 February 12th 07 10:00 AM
tile cutter Andrew Gabriel UK diy 1 February 12th 07 02:16 AM