Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe cutter replacement cutter wheel...

Have a 60+ yr-old pipe cutter (Craftsman) of grandfather's that is very
good but obviously no longer listed as having replacement parts for...I
broke the cutter wheel yesterday and the locals have nothing of proper
dimensions in stock.

I found a Ridgid replacement wheel a few years ago by matching OD/ID
that was thicker that a plumbing-supply had on the shelf. It was
thicker than the opening so had to grind off a little from each side to
fit; unfortunately, that also removed the Ridgid part number and I
didn't think to write it down.

Now I can't find anywhere I can find a list of specifications of OD/ID
for cutters to try to match and the above supply house is no longer in
town...

Anybody got ideas on how to do a search...the cutter is roughly 1" OD
with a 5/16" pin for ID...the Ridgid site is essentially useless for
parts it seems; all it does it run me around in circles of a parts list
for a specific cutter which doesn't show the cutter wheel; says it's on
a replacement cutters list which if go to that search result after about
twenty redirects takes you back to the same top-level product...never
did find an actual replacement cutter.

Similar for Reed or others; a whole list by part but no list by sizes to
find a cross...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 9:34 AM, dpb wrote:

Anybody got ideas on how to do a search...the cutter is roughly 1" OD
with a 5/16" pin for ID...

OK, just went and fetched...

OD 1-5/32"
ID 5/16"
T 1/4" (thick, as noted the existing was 1/4", that's fixable)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 10:02 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/6/2018 9:34 AM, dpb wrote:

Anybody got ideas on how to do a search...the cutter is roughly 1" OD
with a 5/16" pin for ID...

OK, just went and fetched...

OD 1-5/32"
ID 5/16"
TÂ* 1/4"Â* (thick, as noted the existing was 1/4", that's fixable)

And, depth of cutting flange (max wall thickness capacity) is 1/4"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2018 10:34 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

You can buy a whole new pipe cutter for $18 @ https://www.harborfreight.com/no-2-p...ter-62243.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 10:22 AM, Jumbo Jim wrote:

You can buy a whole new pipe cutter for $18 @
https://www.harborfreight.com/no-2-p...ter-62243.html

And I'd have a new but much less well-built one, yes...but more
importantly, it wouldn't be grandfather's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/18 9:34 AM, dpb wrote:
Have a 60+ yr-old pipe cutter (Craftsman) of grandfather's that is very
good but obviously no longer listed as having replacement parts for...I
broke the cutter wheel yesterday and the locals have nothing of proper
dimensions in stock.

I found a Ridgid replacement wheel a few years ago by matching OD/ID
that was thicker that a plumbing-supply had on the shelf.Â* It was
[...]

I bet you've already looked on Ebay for a similar cutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 12:23 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I bet you've already looked on Ebay for a similar cutter.

Yeah, lots of 'em and undoubtedly there's one or more that would work;
problem is there's no way to search by size and all of the listings I
looked at didn't even provide the data so unless I can cross-reference a
part number can't find appropriate particular needle out of the haystack
full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2018 09:22 AM, Jumbo Jim wrote:
[...]

And you'll wish you hadn't... My experience with HF pipe cutters is
they are much better at lightly threading the pipe than cutting it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 12:36 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/06/2018 09:22 AM, Jumbo Jim wrote:

You can buy a whole new pipe cutter for $18 @
https://www.harborfreight.com/no-2-p...ter-62243.html

And you'll wish you hadn't...Â* My experience with HF pipe cutters is
they are much better at lightly threading the pipe than cutting it.

Yeah, there's more to making one than just mounting a roller in a
handle...if they don't run true your description is an apt one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 9:34 AM, dpb wrote:..

OK, did find a listing that a Ridgid 1A/2A pipe cutter has the right
OD/ID but are 7/16" T -- I'm thinking that's what I must have had before
and can live with it if have to; would be cat's meow if could find same
diameters but thinner so not so much modification needed...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

When I was in the service business, I got to know some guys who owned machine shops who would do small jobs. If you can find a cutter wheel that's close, call around and talk to some machinists to see if they would be willing to alter some cutter wheels to fit your grandpaw's pipe cutter. Tell the machinist your reason for repairing the pipe cutter and like most of the guys I've met in the trades he may have sympathy for you and cut you a break on price and may even do it no cost. Get more than one cutter wheel. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2018 11:44 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/6/2018 10:22 AM, Jumbo Jim wrote:

You can buy a whole new pipe cutter for $18 @ https://www.harborfreight.com/no-2-p...ter-62243.html

And I'd have a new but much less well-built one, yes...but more importantly, it wouldn't be grandfather's.

--

Maybe one of these?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-cutting-wheels/=1cqigiu

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2018 2:39 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

When I was in the service business, I got to know some guys who owned machine shops who would do small jobs. If you can find a cutter wheel that's close, call around and talk to some machinists to see if they would be willing to alter some cutter wheels to fit your grandpaw's pipe cutter. Tell the machinist your reason for repairing the pipe cutter and like most of the guys I've met in the trades he may have sympathy for you and cut you a break on price and may even do it no cost. Get more than one cutter wheel. ^_^

It's not a big deal to grind off the excess width; I'd not call in
favors from my machinist buddies in town for such a mundane task, save
them for something really can't do...

I did buy a set (used but look in decent shape) of 6 off of eBay for
$3/ea including shipping on a flyer that they are correct--listing
closed before had time to hear back on actual dimensions but said were
for the Ridgid 1A/2A which are right diameter, just thicker and almost
certainly the same as the one just broken...

I'll keep poking around and see if can find one that does match but if
these are what think they are I'll undoubtedly have enough for my
lifetime...

While poking around, I did see a used Ridgid cutter at a heckuva a deal
price so have a bid in just to have a backup...we'll see if it comes
through, another day on it before closes but a Ridgid with still near
pristine paint for under HF price can't turn down...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 8:31:58 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

I wish you luck. I only knew one of my grandfathers and that was my Southern Hillbilly Grandpa who had severe asthma. He made a whistling noise when he breathed. I never met my Italian grandfather. He passed away when I was very small and New York City is a long way from Alabamastan. He was already gone when the whole family visited Brooklyn New York in 1958. We drove to Atlanta from N.E. Alabamastan to take a flight aboard a Lockheed Constellation, the pretty 4 engine prop plane with three tails. I remember watching the blue flames from the engine exhaust flickering over the wing during the nighttime flight and being fascinated by it. I was too young to be alarmed by it or concerned about it. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

[8~{} Uncle Cutting Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2018 10:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I wish you luck. I only knew one of my grandfathers and that was my Southern Hillbilly Grandpa who had severe asthma. He made a whistling noise when he breathed. I never met my Italian grandfather. He passed away when I was very small and New York City is a long way from Alabamastan. He was already gone when the whole family visited Brooklyn New York in 1958. We drove to Atlanta from N.E. Alabamastan to take a flight aboard a Lockheed Constellation, the pretty 4 engine prop plane with three tails. I remember watching the blue flames from the engine exhaust flickering over the wing during the nighttime flight and being fascinated by it. I was too young to be alarmed by it or concerned about it. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

I was fortunate to grow up on the farm with paternal grandparents' house
100 yds away...grandfather passed when about 12 so was long enough to
know well. Maternal grandparents were about as far away from SW KS to
"the valley" in S TX as yours from 'Bama to NY -- they moved there in
the 30s and were part of the initial citrus production there. Only saw
them a few times on rare visits; with both farming, getting away was
difficult...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 1:41:23 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

A lot of children today are born fatherless and miss out on the knowledge and wisdom that can be passed down from male parents. I feel so sorry for them. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Grand Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2018 8:31 AM, dpb wrote:

I did buy a set (used but look in decent shape) of 6 off of eBay for
$3/ea including shipping on a flyer that they are correct--listing
closed before had time to hear back on actual dimensions but said were
for the Ridgid 1A/2A which are right diameter, just thicker and almost
certainly the same as the one just broken...

Well, they're the right OD but for 3/8" roller pin, not 5/16"...

So, still looking...the lack of anybody publishing dimensions is a real
pit(proverbial)a(ppendage)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2018 07:54 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/7/2018 8:31 AM, dpb wrote:

I did buy a set (used but look in decent shape) of 6 off of eBay for
$3/ea including shipping on a flyer that they are correct--listing
closed before had time to hear back on actual dimensions but said were
for the Ridgid 1A/2A which are right diameter, just thicker and almost
certainly the same as the one just broken...

Well, they're the right OD but for 3/8" roller pin, not 5/16"...

So, still looking...the lack of anybody publishing dimensions is a real
pit(proverbial)a(ppendage)

--

Can you bush the pin? 5/16 ID x 3/8 OD bronze bushings exist but
finding one locally would be a trick. Maybe some of the thin wall brass

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/18 8:54 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/7/2018 8:31 AM, dpb wrote:

I did buy a set (used but look in decent shape) of 6 off of eBay for
$3/ea including shipping on a flyer that they are correct--listing
closed before had time to hear back on actual dimensions but said were
for the Ridgid 1A/2A which are right diameter, just thicker and almost
certainly the same as the one just broken...

Well, they're the right OD but for 3/8" roller pin, not 5/16"...

So, still looking...the lack of anybody publishing dimensions is a real
pit(proverbial)a(ppendage)

--

A farmer fix would involve a 3/8" drill bit. That would mess up the
aesthetics even if there is enough material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2018 10:34 AM, dpb wrote:
Have a 60+ yr-old pipe cutter (Craftsman) of grandfather's that is very good but obviously no longer listed as having replacement parts for...I broke the cutter wheel yesterday and the locals have nothing of proper dimensions in stock.

For the love of God, mount your grandfather's 60+ yr-old pipe cutter (Craftsman) on a plaque and hang it on the wall of your shop.Â* Then go buy a Rigid pipe cutter to cut your pipes.

If your grandfather left you a mint 60-year-old car, you wouldn't use it as a daily driver, would you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/18 8:34 PM, Jack wrote:
On 5/6/2018 10:34 AM, dpb wrote:
Have a 60+ yr-old pipe cutter (Craftsman) of grandfather's that is
very good but obviously no longer listed as having replacement parts
for...I broke the cutter wheel yesterday and the locals have nothing
of proper dimensions in stock.

For the love of God, mount your grandfather's 60+ yr-old pipe cutter
(Craftsman) on a plaque and hang it on the wall of your shop.Â* Then go
buy a Rigid pipe cutter to cut your pipes.

If your grandfather left you a mint 60-year-old car, you wouldn't use it
as a daily driver, would you?

Part of dpb's quest is the simple challenge. It's a bit like
crossword puzzles,
Sudoku, and the like.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression

Default DPB asks about "Pipe cutter replacement cutter wheel..."

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message

On 5/6/2018 7:34 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I always though those Ridgid calendar girls were smokin' hawt.

I smelled something last night.