Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door repair

I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html
The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/18 11:08 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html
The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?

Would putting a piece of garage door rail across the broken part
do any good?
The ones I saw at a local farm supply store looked a lot like channel
iron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/18 5:35 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 4/22/18 11:08 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when
it broke.Â* The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised.Â* I
tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it
still keeps bending.Â* Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html

The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel.Â* Is there a cheaper place
where to get that?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would putting a piece of garage door rail across the broken part
do any good?
The ones I saw at a local farm supply store looked a lot like channel iron.

This stuff:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-5116-box-rail-galvanized-10-ft?cm_vc=-10005
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:41:10 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 4/23/18 5:35 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 4/22/18 11:08 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when
it broke.Â* The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised.Â* I
tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it
still keeps bending.Â* Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html

The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel.Â* Is there a cheaper place
where to get that?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would putting a piece of garage door rail across the broken part
do any good?
The ones I saw at a local farm supply store looked a lot like channel iron.

This stuff:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-5116-box-rail-galvanized-10-ft?cm_vc=-10005

+1

Or anything steel that's similar, eg a piece of angle iron. HD sells
it in lengths. For that matter, I don't see why the 2x4 would not work
if it was properly bolted in place. But angle iron would be far less
noticeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 21:08:47 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html
The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?

I wonder if your home owners insurance might help to cover this?

Also, if you want to save $, have you considered replacing the top
panel with one that doesn't have the windows? I prefer a windowless
garage for security and to help keep the garage cooler in the summer.

The 18' 2x4 you installed will add substantial weight to the door
which might necessitate a spring adjustment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html
The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?

I wonder if your home owners insurance might help to cover this?

Also, if you want to save $, have you considered replacing the top
panel with one that doesn't have the windows? I prefer a windowless
garage for security and to help keep the garage cooler in the summer.

The 18' 2x4 you installed will add substantial weight to the door
which might necessitate a spring adjustment.

I can't imagine a homeowner's insurance policy covering wear and tear
which is what that is.

Besides, homeowner's insurance should be used as catastrophe insurance-
not something to file nickel and dime claims. All they'll do is increase
your premium to get it back, and then some!.

There are household warranty programs that cover stuff like your
appliances, etc. But most people realize these are a waste of money.

The fine print and deductibles and limited range of repair people you
can use will disappoint when something breaks. Instead, put the money
you'd spend each month on the premiums in a cookie jar and when the
appliance breaks, use that money to get it repaired.

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:56:32 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

I can't imagine a homeowner's insurance policy covering wear and tear
which is what that is.

The policy will not cover the broken spring, but it very well might
cover the damage caused by the spring breaking.

He has nothing to lose by asking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can't imagine a homeowner's insurance policy covering wear and tear
which is what that is.

The policy will not cover the broken spring, but it very well might
cover the damage caused by the spring breaking.

He has nothing to lose by asking.

Yeah, he does. Read the rest of my post which you responded to

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.