Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Garage door repair

On 4/23/18 11:14 AM, None wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 21:08:47 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have a 18 ft two car garage door that was damaged by the spring when it broke. The top part keeps buckling when it is being raised. I tried to put a 18 ft 2x4 under the sheet metal on the top, but it still keeps bending. Any suggestions?
Here is a pic:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/wan/d...559399562.html
The repair guy wants $700 for the top panel. Is there a cheaper place where to get that?

I wonder if your home owners insurance might help to cover this?

Also, if you want to save $, have you considered replacing the top
panel with one that doesn't have the windows? I prefer a windowless
garage for security and to help keep the garage cooler in the summer.

The 18' 2x4 you installed will add substantial weight to the door
which might necessitate a spring adjustment.

I can't imagine a homeowner's insurance policy covering wear and tear
which is what that is.

Besides, homeowner's insurance should be used as catastrophe insurance-
not something to file nickel and dime claims. All they'll do is increase
your premium to get it back, and then some!.

There are household warranty programs that cover stuff like your
appliances, etc. But most people realize these are a waste of money.

The fine print and deductibles and limited range of repair people you
can use will disappoint when something breaks. Instead, put the money
you'd spend each month on the premiums in a cookie jar and when the
appliance breaks, use that money to get it repaired.

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.