Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

Default can JB Weld be used to anchor bolts in concrete or brick?

I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently
obtained for a special project. I had to drill four 1/4" holes near
each corner for placement of an anchor bolt. When I did this yesterday,
I didn't realize that there was something called anchoring epoxy, so I
drilled all the way through. Each bolt has a head so I went all the way
through and then used a stop nut on the non-headed end; probably not the
best way. Anyway, now the bolt of course rotates when I try to secure
the paver to wood. I was just thinking of placing a small amount of JB
Weld into each hole to stop the rotation of the anchor and wondered if
this could work? Don't see the need now for spending twenty something
on concrete epoxy for something this small and it's pretty much done,
just need to stop the bolt rotation.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 at 5:49:53 AM, JBI wrote:

I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently
obtained for a special project. I had to drill four 1/4" holes near
each corner for placement of an anchor bolt. When I did this
yesterday, I didn't realize that there was something called anchoring
epoxy, so I drilled all the way through. Each bolt has a head so I
went all the way through and then used a stop nut on the non-headed
end; probably not the best way. Anyway, now the bolt of course
rotates when I try to secure the paver to wood. I was just thinking
of placing a small amount of JB Weld into each hole to stop the
rotation of the anchor and wondered if this could work? Don't see
the need now for spending twenty something on concrete epoxy for
something this small and it's pretty much done, just need to stop the
bolt rotation.

Thanks!

Why would you not use lag screws to secure the paver blocks to the wood?

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"
Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

On 04/03/2018 08:58 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
[...]

I need it to be easily installable and removable at any time, and
weather resistant. What I ended up using were 1/4" brass machine screws
with lock nuts on the other end. I made a hole just slightly larger so
the lock nuts would all be flush with the paver surface. Problem is
that now the whole screw rotates when I install the wooden board on top.
I could jam something in between the nut and concrete, but just
thought there might be a method a little better which is why I thought
of JB Weld.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 at 6:05:02 AM, JBI wrote:

[...]

As I understand it, you have counter-sunk the holes in the paver and
the nuts are on the paver side and the screw head is on the wood side?

You want to be able to tighten the screws but, because the nuts are
counter sunk in the paver, you cannot grip the nuts to tighten the
assembly?

Obviously you could try using an epoxy putty to hold the nuts in place,
but how well it holds depends upon how much torque you need to apply to
tighten the screws.

If it were me, I would enlarge the counter-sink holes so I could grab
the nuts with a hand held nut driver or a thin wall socket.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 8:05 AM, JBI wrote:
On 04/03/2018 08:58 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 4/3/2018 at 5:49:53 AM, JBI wrote:

I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently
obtained for a special project.Â* I had to drill four 1/4" holes near
each corner for placement of an anchor bolt.Â* When I did this
yesterday, I didn't realize that there was something called anchoring
epoxy, so I drilled all the way through.Â* Each bolt has a head so I
went all the way through and then used a stop nut on the non-headed
end; probably not the best way.Â* Anyway, now the bolt of course
rotates when I try to secure the paver to wood.Â* I was just thinking
of placing a small amount of JB Weld into each hole to stop the
rotation of the anchor and wondered if this could work?Â* Don't see
the need now for spending twenty something on concrete epoxy for
something this small and it's pretty much done, just need to stop the
bolt rotation.

Thanks!

Why would you not use lag screws to secure the paver blocks to the wood?

I need it to be easily installable and removable at any time, and
weather resistant.Â* What I ended up using were 1/4" brass machine
screws with lock nuts on the other end.Â* I made a hole just slightly
larger so the lock nuts would all be flush with the paver surface.Â*
Problem is that now the whole screw rotates when I install the wooden
board on top. Â*I could jam something in between the nut and concrete,
but just thought there might be a method a little better which is why
I thought of JB Weld.

You might be better off getting one of those quick epoxy packs . They
make self-mixing kits , look like a pair of syringes with a plunger to
dispense . Toss the first little bit that comes out , it's not always a
good mix and may not set up properly .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JBI" wrote in message news
I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently obtained
for a special project. I had to drill four 1/4" holes near each corner for
placement of an anchor bolt. When I did this yesterday, I didn't realize
that there was something called anchoring epoxy, so I drilled all the way
through. Each bolt has a head so I went all the way through and then used
a stop nut on the non-headed end; probably not the best way. Anyway, now
the bolt of course rotates when I try to secure the paver to wood. I was
just thinking of placing a small amount of JB Weld into each hole to stop
the rotation of the anchor and wondered if this could work? Don't see the
need now for spending twenty something on concrete epoxy for something this
small and it's pretty much done, just need to stop the bolt rotation.

Yes. Back out the bolt and pour the JB (or plain epoxy) in the hole, put
the bolt back, screw on & tighten the nut and wipe off squeeze out. Wait at
least three days before stressing. You may need to enlarge the holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

On 04/03/2018 09:17 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
[...]

Here's what I'm trying to do:

https://s7.postimg.org/xhxf7mg57/plywoodpaverissue.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
JBI JBI is offline

On 04/03/2018 09:18 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/3/2018 8:05 AM, JBI wrote:
[...]

Here's what I'm trying to do, perhaps the quick epoxy for the job?

https://s7.postimg.org/xhxf7mg57/plywoodpaverissue.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 9:05:08 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
[...]

Any epoxy should be fine to use. It just has to stop the bolt from
rotating, not provide the main holding strength. But if you put it
in the hole, then obviously the bolt isn't coming out, but depending
on what your dis-assembly needs are, that may be OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 at 8:07:48 AM, JBI wrote:

[...]

OK, now I understand. I would use a good epoxy putty and set the bolt
into the paver.

If I were doing it from scratch, I would have used studs / threaded
rod. drilled an oversized hole partially through the paver and simply
set the studs in epoxy.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you epoxy the bolts in, they will hold but you will never get them out.

so do this instead: epoxy the bolts in, but from the bottom. when they are set firmly, put the board on, with the nuts on top. If you need to remove the board, just take the nuts off.

You will want to lubricate the threads the nuts go over, or weather is likely to make them jam sometime later. Use a heavy grease or antiseize, or Teflon tape, either works well for this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

"JBI" wrote in message news
[...]

Alternatively, assuming the bolts are flat head as shown in your later
drawing, take out the bolts and grind a flat on two parralel sides of the
head so they are no longer round. Now put them back in and pack the epoxy
around the head. If you want to be able to remove the bolt from the brick,
dip the head in wax or grease before the epoxy.

Concrete anchor bolts ss UK diy 5 August 28th 12 10:34 PM
Titan Anchor rod, anchor bit Jack Home Ownership 0 February 1st 08 07:53 AM
self rock anchors, anchor rod, anchor bit Jack Home Ownership 0 February 1st 08 07:34 AM
Anchor Bolts Peter C UK diy 6 May 16th 07 11:57 PM
Help: Projecting Anchor Bolts Gary UK diy 17 January 21st 05 12:31 PM