Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anchor Bolts

Consdering installing a security post at the end of my tar-mack drive.
The type that I can let down.
There are two security posts on the market, those to cement in and
those using 12mm anchor bolts.
I have never used these bolts before ,so I presume you drill a hole
first. Considering thin layers of tar-mack, Are the bolts likely to
hold ? Or should I go for the ones that cement in ,thus making a mess
of the drive?
Peter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's under the tarmac? Concrete or compacted ground? Anchor bolts
will only be secure in concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
Peter C writes
Consdering installing a security post at the end of my tar-mack drive.
The type that I can let down.
There are two security posts on the market, those to cement in and
those using 12mm anchor bolts.
I have never used these bolts before ,so I presume you drill a hole
first. Considering thin layers of tar-mack, Are the bolts likely to
hold ? Or should I go for the ones that cement in ,thus making a mess
of the drive?

I put one in our old drive. Tarmac on a compacted sub-base, I can't see
that I could have sensibly bolted through into this securely - if it was
laid over on old concrete drive then maybe ok.

I used a sink in one. IIRC it required a hole about 12 inches square.
Concreted in upto a little below the surface and then patch with a bit
of cold cure patching tarmac stuff. Once the stuff had weathered it
wasn't really noticeable at all.

Problems -

1. finding a water or gas pipe and having to move the hole a bit to the
side.

2. Reversing out, down a sloping drive, you couldn't see the post, and
if you forgot it was there - bump!

I installed the cheaper of the two on this page:

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...copic_Security
_Posts.html

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter C wrote:
Consdering installing a security post at the end of my tar-mack drive.
The type that I can let down.
There are two security posts on the market, those to cement in and
those using 12mm anchor bolts.
I have never used these bolts before ,so I presume you drill a hole
first. Considering thin layers of tar-mack, Are the bolts likely to
hold ? Or should I go for the ones that cement in ,thus making a mess
of the drive?

Anchor bolts only hold in solid materials, such as concrete or stone. So
unless your tarmac is over concrete, they won't hold.

--
Grunff
Diamagnetic levitation:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Peter C writes
Consdering installing a security post at the end of my tar-mack drive.
The type that I can let down.
There are two security posts on the market, those to cement in and
those using 12mm anchor bolts.
I have never used these bolts before ,so I presume you drill a hole
first. Considering thin layers of tar-mack, Are the bolts likely to
hold ? Or should I go for the ones that cement in ,thus making a mess
of the drive?

As Dom says, anchors won't hold reliably in tarmac and security posts are
a difficult fix anyway as they have a lot of leverage over the fixings.

If you are absolutely sure there are no services under the spot then you
could nail a mounting plate into the ground using long spikes (60cm long
good, 1m better by 12 or 16mm) and weld the top of the rod to the
mounting plate. You could tap the mounting plate for the post fixings or
weld nuts on the bottom. Excavating a little tarmac from under the plate
and adding a mortar grout would make a suitable bed. If you don't weld
then you may get away with threaded rods but they may buckle under
hammering, and add the fixing nuts and spring washers before you start
hammering as the end of the rod will become mush, cut of the surplus.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 07:49, chris French
wrote:
In message .com,
Peter C writes

[...]

Thanks for all the informative replies, tarmac not ona firm base ,I
will have to have one concreted in. A good point about servives also.
Peter C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 07:49, chris French
wrote:
In message .com,
Peter C writes

[...]

Thank you all for the informative replies. Due to the tarmac sub base
I will have to have a post cemented in.
Good points also re services.
Peter C

Post Anchor Base Roger UK diy 1 August 16th 05 01:42 AM
Where to Buy Anchor Seal Bernie Hunt Woodturning 12 July 23rd 05 08:03 PM
Question about anchor seal Steven Raphael Woodturning 3 May 3rd 05 06:26 AM
Help: Projecting Anchor Bolts Gary UK diy 17 January 21st 05 12:31 PM
Lag bolts vs. carriage bolts GonnyGump Woodworking 12 April 9th 04 01:52 AM