Posted to alt.home.repair
Dove Tail Dove Tail is offline

Default can JB Weld be used to anchor bolts in concrete or brick?

On 4/3/2018 at 8:07:48 AM, JBI wrote:

On 04/03/2018 09:17 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 4/3/2018 at 6:05:02 AM, JBI wrote:

On 04/03/2018 08:58 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 4/3/2018 at 5:49:53 AM, JBI wrote:

I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I
recently obtained for a special project. I had to drill four
1/4" holes near each corner for placement of an anchor bolt.
When I did this yesterday, I didn't realize that there was
something called anchoring epoxy, so I drilled all the way
through. Each bolt has a head so I went all the way through
and then used a stop nut on the non-headed end; probably not
the best way. Anyway, now the bolt of course rotates when I
try to secure the paver to wood. I was just thinking of
placing a small amount of JB Weld into each hole to stop the
rotation of the anchor and wondered if this could work?
Don't see the need now for spending twenty something on
concrete epoxy for something this small and it's pretty much
done, just need to stop the bolt rotation.

Thanks!

Why would you not use lag screws to secure the paver blocks to
the wood?

I need it to be easily installable and removable at any time, and
weather resistant. What I ended up using were 1/4" brass machine
screws with lock nuts on the other end. I made a hole just
slightly larger so the lock nuts would all be flush with the
paver surface. Problem is that now the whole screw rotates when
I install the wooden board on top. I could jam something in
between the nut and concrete, but just thought there might be a
method a little better which is why I thought of JB Weld

As I understand it, you have counter-sunk the holes in the paver and
the nuts are on the paver side and the screw head is on the wood
side?

You want to be able to tighten the screws but, because the nuts are
counter sunk in the paver, you cannot grip the nuts to tighten the
assembly?

Obviously you could try using an epoxy putty to hold the nuts in
place, but how well it holds depends upon how much torque you need
to apply to tighten the screws.

If it were me, I would enlarge the counter-sink holes so I could
grab the nuts with a hand held nut driver or a thin wall socket.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

https://s7.postimg.org/xhxf7mg57/plywoodpaverissue.jpg

OK, now I understand. I would use a good epoxy putty and set the bolt
into the paver.

If I were doing it from scratch, I would have used studs / threaded
rod. drilled an oversized hole partially through the paver and simply
set the studs in epoxy.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"