Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default can JB Weld be used to anchor bolts in concrete or brick?

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news

"JBI" wrote in message news
I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently
obtained for a special project. I had to drill four 1/4" holes near each
corner for placement of an anchor bolt. When I did this yesterday, I
didn't realize that there was something called anchoring epoxy, so I
drilled all the way through. Each bolt has a head so I went all the way
through and then used a stop nut on the non-headed end; probably not the
best way. Anyway, now the bolt of course rotates when I try to secure the
paver to wood. I was just thinking of placing a small amount of JB Weld
into each hole to stop the rotation of the anchor and wondered if this
could work? Don't see the need now for spending twenty something on
concrete epoxy for something this small and it's pretty much done, just
need to stop the bolt rotation.

Yes. Back out the bolt and pour the JB (or plain epoxy) in the hole, put
the bolt back, screw on & tighten the nut and wipe off squeeze out. Wait
at least three days before stressing. You may need to enlarge the holes.

Alternatively, assuming the bolts are flat head as shown in your later
drawing, take out the bolts and grind a flat on two parralel sides of the
head so they are no longer round. Now put them back in and pack the epoxy
around the head. If you want to be able to remove the bolt from the brick,
dip the head in wax or grease before the epoxy.