Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default can JB Weld be used to anchor bolts in concrete or brick?

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 9:05:08 AM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
On 04/03/2018 08:58 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
On 4/3/2018 at 5:49:53 AM, JBI wrote:

I have two pavers (one brick and another concrete) that I recently
obtained for a special project. I had to drill four 1/4" holes near
each corner for placement of an anchor bolt. When I did this
yesterday, I didn't realize that there was something called anchoring
epoxy, so I drilled all the way through. Each bolt has a head so I
went all the way through and then used a stop nut on the non-headed
end; probably not the best way. Anyway, now the bolt of course
rotates when I try to secure the paver to wood. I was just thinking
of placing a small amount of JB Weld into each hole to stop the
rotation of the anchor and wondered if this could work? Don't see
the need now for spending twenty something on concrete epoxy for
something this small and it's pretty much done, just need to stop the
bolt rotation.

Thanks!

Why would you not use lag screws to secure the paver blocks to the wood?

I need it to be easily installable and removable at any time, and
weather resistant. What I ended up using were 1/4" brass machine screws
with lock nuts on the other end. I made a hole just slightly larger so
the lock nuts would all be flush with the paver surface. Problem is
that now the whole screw rotates when I install the wooden board on top.
I could jam something in between the nut and concrete, but just
thought there might be a method a little better which is why I thought
of JB Weld.

Any epoxy should be fine to use. It just has to stop the bolt from
rotating, not provide the main holding strength. But if you put it
in the hole, then obviously the bolt isn't coming out, but depending
on what your dis-assembly needs are, that may be OK.