Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any safe way to provide 120V power to middle of living room?

Our furniture layout has a side table next to an armchair, both of which
are relatively far removed (6'-9') feet from the nearest walls. The
floor surface from the nearest walls to the side table has both bare
hardwood floor and an area rug. The room is in an upper floor condo
unit with old fashioned tongue in groove hardwood floor boards. The
building has concrete and steel construction. We'd like to place a table
lamp on the side table but are unwilling to run an extension cord (major
tripping hazard!) over the bare floor and area rug distance from the
baseboard of the nearest wall to the side table. We're not interested
in having to remove flooring and then refinish the entire floor. Also,
we don't want to install a recessed ceiling fixture centered over the
chair. A wall mounted sconce light would either be directly in the eyes
of those seated elsewhere in the room or create a brilliant reflection
off the glass doors of nearby wall units. Please don't suggest
re-thinking our furniture arrangement - we've spent months doing that
and it's not an option. Is there any type of extremely flat extension
cord would be safe and within code to provide power to that side table?
We would be powering only one 18W LED (100W incandescent equivalent) bulb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2018 9:13 AM, Peter wrote:
Our furniture layout has a side table next to an armchair, both of which
are relatively far removed (6'-9') feet from the nearest walls.* The
floor surface from the nearest walls to the side table has both bare
hardwood floor and an area rug.* The room is in an upper floor condo
unit with old fashioned tongue in groove hardwood floor boards.* The
building has concrete and steel construction. We'd like to place a table
lamp on the side table but are unwilling to run an extension cord (major
tripping hazard!)

Only thing I can think of is a Wiremold product that is a trough type of
channel that has a tapered top so you don't trip. They are used in
offices to get to a desk. Saver than a bare cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Go battery powered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:13:41 -0500, Peter wrote:

[...]

What you need is a nice swag lamp, on a chain ... :-)

http://www.karishma.me/swag-pendant-light/

or a battery powered LED table lamp.

http://foter.com/explore/cordless-table-lamps

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 9:13:44 AM UTC-5, Peter wrote:
[...]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMS5XF4...a-393450110303

Not recommending it, just pointing out that it's out there and there may
be others. It's made in
China, with poor English, etc., that's a warning sign. Is it UL listed?

I'd consider a flat extension cord as long as the rug isn't walked over
regularly and you keep an eye on it. The typical rug disaster is someone
putting a crappy extension cord under it in an area with traffic, then
ignoring what happens over months and years. There are thicker cord
protectors that are made to walk over, but they are relatively thick
and very noticeable.

Any way to run a longer cord from a different direction that would not
have to go under the rug?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 8:13:44 AM UTC-6, Peter wrote:
[...]

There are rubber/plastic tapered cord covers that roll out on a floor and prevent tripping over a cord but if you have access to an attic over your room, you can install a wired service pole as is done in many offices from the ceiling. Power poles can be painted to match the room. ^_^

http://www.wiremoldproducts.com/

https://www.legrand.us/categories/wi...wer-poles.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Wired Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Lthium Ion powered LED lamp - move it to charge it when not in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/11/2018 9:13 AM, Peter wrote:
Our furniture layout has a side table next to an armchair, both of
which are relatively far removed (6'-9') feet from the nearest
walls.* The floor surface from the nearest walls to the side table
has both bare hardwood floor and an area rug.* The room is in an
upper floor condo unit with old fashioned tongue in groove
hardwood floor boards.* The building has concrete and steel
construction. We'd like to place a table lamp on the side table
but are unwilling to run an extension cord (major tripping hazard!)

Only thing I can think of is a Wiremold product that is a trough type
of channel that has a tapered top so you don't trip. They are used in
offices to get to a desk. Saver than a bare cord.

Ed's suggestion is the best one so far. A rubber channel raceway is a
way to run an extension cord over the floor with minimal trip hazard.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...vZc65fZ1z0ugz3

We would not do anything like this in our home due to the aesthetics.

You said you don't want to entertain changing your furniture layout,
but, you might want to revisit that restriction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/18 8:13 AM, Peter wrote:
[...]

A search for extension cord cover turned up quite a few
options. Would it work to drop the power from the ceiling down? I
think there were lamps that were literally floor to ceiling design at
one time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. The lamp needs to be bright
enough to read comfortably and fit the living room decor. The side
table and arm chair are on the 10' x 12' rug and the area gets regular
foot traffic as does the bare floor around the perimeter of the rug,
making the use of a channel raceway on the polished hardwood floor
impractical. There's no access to the attic (many floors of additional
condos above our unit) besides which the horizontal slabs for the
ceiling/floor on each level are reinforced concrete. For aesthetic and
safety reasons, the best solution seems to be a swag lamp and a flat
channel ceiling and wall raceway hide the run of power cord to a ceiling
hook. Time to discuss this with my decorator in chief (wife).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:52:13 -0500, Peter wrote:

[...]

Yuk.
I'd look long & hard for a cordless lamp before doing that ..
An interchangeable battery with an extra battery plus
a stand-alone charger means you never have to await a re-charge
nor run a temp cord to re-charge nor move the lamp to re-charge.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/11/2018 04:38 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

Would it work to drop the power from the ceiling down?** I
think there were lamps that were literally floor to ceiling design at
one time.

My parents had such a lamp (with 3 separate bulb holders, and a 3-way
switch) and I have seen others at several peoples' houses.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"God isn't as great as you think. Hes just got good marketing."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2018 11:42 AM, wrote:
[...]

That was my first choice too. However, all the ones I found on the web
were (1) too dim, (2) too short, (3) not compatible with the room's
decor, or a combination of all of the above. If there was a lamp that
looked similar in size and design to a traditional living room table
lamp and provided 800+ lumens of light, I'd probably try it. Reviews of
most of them said they were good for a night light or reading only if
the lamp was extremely close. Thanks for the comment though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2018 12:45 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 01/11/2018 04:38 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

Would it work to drop the power from the ceiling down? I think
there were lamps that were literally floor to ceiling design at one
time.

My parents had such a lamp (with 3 separate bulb holders, and a 3-way
switch) and I have seen others at several peoples' houses.

I think you're referring to what I call a pole lamp. I still have one
from the 1960s that we use in our den. I'm not experienced enough to
run romex or other inside-the-wall cable from an outlet up the wall and
across the ceiling to where I would need to either mount a junction box
or a receptacle. In my area, getting an electrician to do the hidden
wiring would cost $250 - $400 - seriously! Besides, my wife hates the
look of pole lamps and I admit it wouldn't look good with our living
room decor. I appreciate your suggestion though.