Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Any safe way to provide 120V power to middle of living room?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:13:41 -0500, Peter wrote:

Our furniture layout has a side table next to an armchair, both of which
are relatively far removed (6'-9') feet from the nearest walls. The
floor surface from the nearest walls to the side table has both bare
hardwood floor and an area rug. The room is in an upper floor condo
unit with old fashioned tongue in groove hardwood floor boards. The
building has concrete and steel construction. We'd like to place a table
lamp on the side table but are unwilling to run an extension cord (major
tripping hazard!) over the bare floor and area rug distance from the
baseboard of the nearest wall to the side table. We're not interested
in having to remove flooring and then refinish the entire floor. Also,
we don't want to install a recessed ceiling fixture centered over the
chair. A wall mounted sconce light would either be directly in the eyes
of those seated elsewhere in the room or create a brilliant reflection
off the glass doors of nearby wall units. Please don't suggest
re-thinking our furniture arrangement - we've spent months doing that
and it's not an option. Is there any type of extremely flat extension
cord would be safe and within code to provide power to that side table?
We would be powering only one 18W LED (100W incandescent equivalent) bulb.

What you need is a nice swag lamp, on a chain ... :-)

http://www.karishma.me/swag-pendant-light/

or a battery powered LED table lamp.

http://foter.com/explore/cordless-table-lamps

John T.