Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Any safe way to provide 120V power to middle of living room?

On 1/12/2018 12:45 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 01/11/2018 04:38 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

Would it work to drop the power from the ceiling down? I think
there were lamps that were literally floor to ceiling design at one
time.

My parents had such a lamp (with 3 separate bulb holders, and a 3-way
switch) and I have seen others at several peoples' houses.

I think you're referring to what I call a pole lamp. I still have one
from the 1960s that we use in our den. I'm not experienced enough to
run romex or other inside-the-wall cable from an outlet up the wall and
across the ceiling to where I would need to either mount a junction box
or a receptacle. In my area, getting an electrician to do the hidden
wiring would cost $250 - $400 - seriously! Besides, my wife hates the
look of pole lamps and I admit it wouldn't look good with our living
room decor. I appreciate your suggestion though.