Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a COB Light?

I keep seeing that word "COB" used for LED flashlights lately.

What do they mean by using the word "COB"?
(I remember when COB was part of an ear of corn, and none of them lit
up)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:43:36 -0600, wrote:

I keep seeing that word "COB" used for LED flashlights lately.
What do they mean by using the word "COB"?
(I remember when COB was part of an ear of corn, and none of them lit
up)

http://www.cob-led.com/What-is-cob-L...-on-board.html

... anything else you want us to google for you ?

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I keep seeing that word "COB" used for LED flashlights lately.
What do they mean by using the word "COB"?
(I remember when COB was part of an ear of corn, and none of them lit
up)

http://www.cob-led.com/What-is-cob-L...-on-board.html

.. anything else you want us to google for you ?

John T.

Youbetcha.
Hows about googling "helpful" "tolerant" "considerate" "courteous"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I keep seeing that word "COB" used for LED flashlights lately.
What do they mean by using the word "COB"?
(I remember when COB was part of an ear of corn, and none of them lit
up)

http://www.cob-led.com/What-is-cob-L...-on-board.html
.. anything else you want us to google for you ?
John T.

Youbetcha.
Hows about googling "helpful" "tolerant" "considerate" "courteous"...

try dictionary.com
You're welcome.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I keep seeing that word "COB" used for LED flashlights lately.
What do they mean by using the word "COB"?
(I remember when COB was part of an ear of corn, and none of them lit
up)

http://www.cob-led.com/What-is-cob-L...-on-board.html

.. anything else you want us to google for you ?

John T.

Youbetcha.
Hows about googling "helpful" "tolerant" "considerate" "courteous"...

Sometimes I wish the web did not even exist.
The newsgroups were the original internet. Back then, people discussed
things without referring to web pages. Not only do I still prefer the
newsgroups, but ever since they implemented HTTPS (secure sites), I can
not access most websites. It's a long and rather complicated process
involved, which I dont care to discuss in detail. I will only say that
due to my location, I have very limited access to the internet. The
newsgroups work, email works, but the web is extremely limited.
Something to the order of 1 out of 30 websites actually load properly.
And google does not work at all anymore, nor does Bing. (Yahoo search
still works though).

In the end, not everyone online is able to use all the high tech
gadgets, and high speed internet that they keep forcing upon us, whether
we want it or not. 15 years ago, websites were just text and pictures
and they were useful. Now we have scripts, and huge executible files and
megs of security to protect us from all them scripts and executibles,
and worthless bloat, so the actual content is lost in all the garbage.
These days, to obtain 1K of useful content requires 5 megs of
downloading before the page can load. I do my best to avoid the web
anymore, because it's very frustrating and a huge waste of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ever since they implemented HTTPS (secure sites), I can
not access most websites. It's a long and rather complicated process
involved, which I dont care to discuss in detail. I will only say that
due to my location, I have very limited access to the internet. The
newsgroups work, email works, but the web is extremely limited.
Something to the order of 1 out of 30 websites actually load properly.
And google does not work at all anymore, nor does Bing. (Yahoo search
still works though).

Yikes !
I thought that I was quite late going from dial-up to high-speed -
about 12 years ago - dial-up was becoming futile back then !
And because my first high speed was cellular - very expensive ! -
I still needed to carefully watch my usage.
One thing that helped greatly - I bought a used laptop and made use
of the high speed at the library and coffee shops. - once or twice a
week. I would save links and email a list to myself - used a
"download helper" to save humourous and music Utube videos
and other stuff like big pdf instruction manuals etc.
I didn't think that google was ever slow - but all the top hits that
the searches returned would be fancy paid-for sites - so I learned
to scroll down and look for edu or wiki or less commercial hits.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 1:00:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
And google does not work at all anymore, nor does Bing. (Yahoo search
still works though).

I haven't tried AltaVista in a long time, but that used to be my go-to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And google does not work at all anymore, nor does Bing. (Yahoo search
still works though).

I haven't tried AltaVista in a long time, but that used to be my go-to.

a quick google search for the wiki info :

AltaVista was a Web search engine established in 1995. It became one
of the most-used early search engines, but lost ground to Google and
was purchased by Yahoo! in 2003, which retained the brand, but based
all AltaVista searches on its own search engine. On July 8, 2013, the
service was shut down by Yahoo! and since then, the domain has
redirected to Yahoo!'s own search site.[2]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:54:55 -0500, wrote:

[...]

At my location, dialup is all there is. Max speed is around 36KPS. If
that's not bad enough. connecting with Windows XP limits connection to
about 10 minutes use, before connection fails to transfer data. But
connecting with Windows 98, works fairly good, but limits browsers to
Firefox 3.x. (which of course cant handle HTML5 or most HTTPS, and gives
constant script errors).

I cant even use a cellphone at my location, NO SERVICE. The only way I
could get fast internet would be to spend around $150 per month for a
satellite dish, which could require installing a tall pole to mount the
dish, at a cost of several thousand to install. I'm retired and on a
fixed income. The dish is NOT gonna happen.

Yea, I have an old laptop with XP, which I can use if I drive about 6
miles. I can use the library, a fast food restaurant, or a local bar to
get their WIFI. I can even use that from in my car if I park close to
the building. I too make a list of videos I want to download and save
from utube, and download large PDF manuals and other large files from
there. But I cant post to the newsgroups from them places. Being winter,
I cant sit in my car spending hours in freezing weather to connect to
many websites that are posted on the newsgroups, nor am I willing to
waste time typing inside a restaurant, and there is no way in heck that
I'll type from inside my car.

The bottom line is that I have very limited internet access. At home I
really only have my email and the newsgroups. So, when I ask "What is a
Cob light", I'm only looking for a sentence or two, cuz I want to learn.
That's how the newsgroups once worked, long before the web even existed.

One note of caution, Google is a dangerous as far as spying on people,
and Facebook is probably worse. I dont care to use FB, but I was using
google till they began asking me to prove Im a real person. Apparently
they were not able to track me to their satisfaction, because of my slow
connection and use of Win98. I just said "goodbye google"....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 16:33:56 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 01/11/2018 09:29 AM, wrote:

[snip]

But
connecting with Windows 98, works fairly good, but limits browsers to
Firefox 3.x. (which of course cant handle HTML5 or most HTTPS, and gives
constant script errors).

You get get up to 9.x (maybe higher) with KernelEX . It does support
some new features like the fullscreen API.

I cant even use a cellphone at my location, NO SERVICE. The only way I
could get fast internet would be to spend around $150 per month for a
satellite dish, which could require installing a tall pole to mount the
dish, at a cost of several thousand to install. I'm retired and on a
fixed income. The dish is NOT gonna happen.

I have had satellite internet (Starband, around 2001). It was nearly
unusable because of the high and variable latency.

[snip]

I have kernel-ex installed. It is helpful with some stuff, but not
browsers. I have tried numerous versions of FF beyond 3.x, and they are
very unstable, or dont work at all. By default, FF 2.x was the limit
without kernel-ex. With it, FF 3.x works, but nothing higher. Some of
them load, but not properly in all cases. Lots of crashes and errors.

Then again, I doubt any of those old versions of FF would work well
today with all the security issues and HTML5. Even my laptop that I use
at WIFI spots (with XP), began acting flakey recently because I was
using FF 18.x. I finally had to upgrade that to a newer version, which
works but runs sluggishly because it's so bloated and that laptop is an
older and slower computer. (And I'm still not using the newest version
of FF on that laptop).

I keep asking when this will all end? Why is all this bloat and complex
junk needed, just to read some text and see some pictures? What ever
happened to the old web that was useful? I suspect they are doing this
to force everyone to keep buying new computers and operating systems. In
all honesty, I can use my old Win98 computer to do anything I can do on
any newer computer, and it does it well. I can watch videos and
everything. Win98 had some limitations with USB support though.

What really bugs me is that I cant even read a Wikipedia site anymore
because of the security crap. Why is all this security needed, just to
read a simple page of text and some pictures? The answer to that is IT'S
NOT NEEDED. It's only needed because of all the scripts and CSS junk
that's being used these days. The internet was much more secure before
they began adding all that junk. And before they allowed Facebook and
Google to track everyone online.

We need to go backwards if the web is going to continue being useful,
but I dont see that happening, because Google, Facebook, and some others
would lose money.....

MR16 LED COB bulbs robgraham UK diy 4 December 15th 14 09:59 PM
COB or not for LED Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 6 February 24th 14 05:50 PM
Info on COB (chip-on-board, led) bulbs please? [email protected] UK diy 1 February 19th 14 12:49 PM
fitting an outside light - problem getting the power cable to light, any ideas? Kam_UK UK diy 1 November 24th 04 04:33 PM
Pilot light won't light? ? ? Ray Jenkins Home Repair 6 April 4th 04 08:29 PM