Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Snow down south

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2017 8:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Â*Â*Â*Â* Schools closing and all that.Â*Â*Â* The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

Â*Â*Â* It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this.Â* But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
Â*People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff.Â*Â*Â* We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo,Â* NY.

I was laughing this am when I heard of first accident due to snow. A
truck putting down salt water on the streets in Philadelphia crashed.
It may or may not snow there tomorrow and if so probably just a dusting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2017 8:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Â*Â*Â*Â* Schools closing and all that.Â*Â*Â* The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

Â*Â*Â* It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this.Â* But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
Â*People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff.Â*Â*Â* We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo,Â* NY.

I'm in western NC and we have about 3" and it's still falling. I'm sure
the schools are closed. BTW, school closings are usually because the
school buses can't get out. But here in the mountains it's dangerous
going downhill and impossible going uphill with a little snowy ice. In
my case, the county road, which is plowed and salted when there is snow,
is only about 1/8 mile from my house. But it is almost impossible to
get there. That's why we usually leave out car just outside the
subdivision if we know we have to get somewhere. From my driveway to
the subdivision entrance, only about 500', is very steep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/08/2017 07:12 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

I'm in Montana. Where's our snow? Skiing on dry ground and rocks is a pita.

Only kidding -- you can keep the snow as far as I'm concerned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:43:37 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.

We had our first snowfall that stuck yesterday. A jillion
fender-benders demonstrated that people slide down the
learning curve during summer vacation.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/17 5:43 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total is
about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.

Gods way of voting against Roy Moore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/17 9:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:43:37 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.

We had our first snowfall that stuck yesterday. A jillion
fender-benders demonstrated that people slide down the
learning curve during summer vacation.

Cindy Hamilton

"Slide down the learning curve". I like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total is about 2".

La Niña took the week off to do some Christmas shopping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 7:43:37 AM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.

Snow shut down Birmingham, Al today with some places in the area measuring 8 inches deep. It will freeze up on the streets tonight but it will all be gone by tomorrow afternoon. We usually get hit and run snow storms but sometimes it will stick around like The Blizzard Of 1993 when the whole area was paralyzed by snow for days. There were shops selling "I Survived The Blizzard Of 93" T-shirts and I wish I had bought a few. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Snow Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton posted for all of us...

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 8:43:37 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that. The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this. But Nebraska
drivers go through the annual reeducation about driving on slick roads.
People here
should know how to drive on slick stuff. We don't have it all that
bad compared to
someplace like Buffalo, NY.

We had our first snowfall that stuck yesterday. A jillion
fender-benders demonstrated that people slide down the
learning curve during summer vacation.

Cindy Hamilton

Here in PA they don't remember from *X* days. Fill in your own number. Also
remember we get a new batch of novices every year.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

Only kidding -- you can keep the snow as far as I'm concerned.

+1000 on that! If never snowed here again I would be fine. I can understand
skiers would be unhappy. The roads are starting to refreeze here.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2017 02:52 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
rbowman posted for all of us...

Only kidding -- you can keep the snow as far as I'm concerned.

+1000 on that! If never snowed here again I would be fine. I can understand
skiers would be unhappy. The roads are starting to refreeze here.

After my brother moved to the coast of California north of Santa Barbara
he said he thought he would really miss the seasons. Then he realized it
was less than a three hour drive if he wanted to go skiing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2017 4:47 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Snow plow for our development just went by. Did not think we needed it
with just a few inches most of which did not stick to the road.

You find a lot of novices with AWD off in the ditches because they did
not realize that AWD does not mean you can stop better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/17 3:46 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Gods way of showing how he feels about Roy Moore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/17 7:54 PM, ZZyXX wrote:
On 12/8/17 3:46 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 7:43:37 AM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/snow_louisiana_north_shore_nol.html#incart_std

Schools closing and all that.Â*Â*Â* The most likely snow fall total
is about 2".

It's easy for us who are farther north to get a chuckle out of
this.Â* But Nebraska drivers go through the annual reeducation about
driving on slick roads. People here should know how to drive on
slick stuff.Â*Â*Â* We don't have it all that bad compared to someplace
like Buffalo,Â* NY.

Snow shut down Birmingham, Al today with some places in the area
measuring 8 inches deep. It will freeze up on the streets tonight but
it will all be gone by tomorrow afternoon. We usually get hit and run
snow storms but sometimes it will stick around like The Blizzard Of
1993 when the whole area was paralyzed by snow for days. There were
shops selling "I Survived The Blizzard Of 93" T-shirts and I wish I
had bought a few. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Snow Monster

Gods way of showing how he feels about Roy Moore

Good grief. Could one discuss, let's say, shingles or floor
tile without
someone dragging politics into it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2017 06:54 PM, ZZyXX wrote:
[...]

Yup -- pure as the driven snow. All Alabama is white for a change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 20:14:16 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote in

Gods way of showing how he feels about Roy Moore

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be voting for Moore again next week..
Maybe Uncle Moore Monster will do that too.

Vinny In Alabama.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2017 7:18 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/09/2017 02:52 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
rbowman posted for all of us...

Only kidding -- you can keep the snow as far as I'm concerned.

+1000 on that! If never snowed here again I would be fine. I can
understand
skiers would be unhappy. The roads are starting to refreeze here.

After my brother moved to the coast of California north of Santa Barbara
he said he thought he would really miss the seasons. Then he realized it
was less than a three hour drive if he wanted to go skiing.

Well, at least they have 2 seasons, nice and fires! When I lived in the
Chicago area, we used to kid about the 2 season thing: Winter and Road
Construction. And, even though my road has been cleared (western NC),
there is some re-freezing going on. I don't think that the plow guy
dropped any salt. Last night I had a terrible time going up the
mountain ... only about 500'. BTW, last year we had our share of fires,
but that was very unusual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2017 9:38 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Wondered how Mobile looked. Only place I ever visited there. Oh, the
horror!

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....ec_8_poss.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 7:05:41 AM UTC-6, VinnyB wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 20:14:16 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote in

Gods way of showing how he feels about Roy Moore

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be voting for Moore again next week..
Maybe Uncle Moore Monster will do that too.

Vinny In Alabama.

I can't stand Moore but I absolutely can't tolerate Jones. I'm not a Republican, Republicans disgust me but DemCommiecrats are special, they horrify me. Perhaps Moore can hold the seat long enough for a tolerable Republican to be appointed by Governor Ivey. But I do like giving the middle finger to Washington D.C., that's why I voted for Donald Trump. I would have voted for George Wallace for President, not because I was a fan but because he was a disruptive figure and it would have driven the Progressive Liberal Leftists Commiecrat Moonbat Freak Politically Correct Trans Intellectual Washington D.C. Swamp Creatures bonkers. It's fun if not a bit cruel to poke a stick into an anthill every now and then to watch the insects scatter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Disruptive Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2017 06:33 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Vermont's claim is 'nine months of winter and three months of damn poor
sledding.' There's some truth to that. I've lived within a couple of
hundred miles of the Canadian border for most of my life but the year I
spent in Vermont was the longest winter of my life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 11:14:31 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 14:21:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Vermont's claim is 'nine months of winter and three months of damn poor
sledding.' There's some truth to that. I've lived within a couple of
hundred miles of the Canadian border for most of my life but the year I
spent in Vermont was the longest winter of my life.

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I had to work the day it "snowed in Miami" Florida.

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article1931272.html

In Saranac Lake my bride got "cabin fever" the year we were there.
Doors on my truck froze shut. Had to get in through the back lift
window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ZZyXX wrote:

Gods way of showing how he feels about Roy Moore

He must really hate Jerry Brown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vermont's claim is 'nine months of winter and three months of damn poor
sledding.' There's some truth to that. I've lived within a couple of
hundred miles of the Canadian border for most of my life but the year I
spent in Vermont was the longest winter of my life.

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I had to work the day it "snowed in Miami" Florida.

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article1931272.html

In Saranac Lake my bride got "cabin fever" the year we were there.
Doors on my truck froze shut. Had to get in through the back lift
window.

A lot of relationships don't survive a winter in a romantic cabin in the
woods

I talked to my cousin today. She's in Atlanta and said she had an
overwhelming desire to go out and make snow angels. Then she realized
she would probably need to call 911 to send an EMT to get her up off the
ground again She's not as spry as she was 80 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2017 01:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I once heard that Texas has four seasons: almost summer, summer, still
summer, and "I can't believe it's not summer".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2017 10:08 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 12/10/2017 01:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I once heard that Texas has four seasons: almost summer, summer, still
summer, and "I can't believe it's not summer".

Must be southern Texas. Amarillo definitely has a "Son of a bitch, it's
cold!" season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vermont's claim is 'nine months of winter and three months of damn poor
sledding.' There's some truth to that. I've lived within a couple of
hundred miles of the Canadian border for most of my life but the year I
spent in Vermont was the longest winter of my life.

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I had to work the day it "snowed in Miami" Florida.

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article1931272.html

In Saranac Lake my bride got "cabin fever" the year we were there.
Doors on my truck froze shut. Had to get in through the back lift
window.

A lot of relationships don't survive a winter in a romantic cabin in the
woods

But there are plenty of babies being made. Pregnancy rates go up :-)

I talked to my cousin today. She's in Atlanta and said she had an
overwhelming desire to go out and make snow angels. Then she realized
she would probably need to call 911 to send an EMT to get her up off the
ground again She's not as spry as she was 80 years ago.

I'm not eighteen anymore, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 11:37:41 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/11/2017 10:08 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 12/10/2017 01:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I once heard that Texas has four seasons: almost summer, summer, still
summer, and "I can't believe it's not summer".

Must be southern Texas. Amarillo definitely has a "Son of a bitch, it's
cold!" season.

Here in the Mohave Desert, when temps reach 110° F we just "damn it's
hot." It snowed ~ 8 inches twice since I moved here. It was mostly
melted the next day. Cars crashing every where.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That happens. My cousin isn't computer literate and apparently neither
is her daughter. She'd been trying to contact another cousin but about
30 seconds with Google showed she was almost two years too late to send
flowers. Not many cousins left...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/11/2017 10:08 AM, Sam E wrote:
On 12/10/2017 01:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

"I spent a year in Vermont one February"

I once heard that Texas has four seasons: almost summer, summer, still
summer, and "I can't believe it's not summer".

Must be southern Texas. Amarillo definitely has a "Son of a bitch, it's
cold!" season.

Here in the Mohave Desert, when temps reach 110° F we just "damn it's
hot." It snowed ~ 8 inches twice since I moved here. It was mostly
melted the next day. Cars crashing every where.

I remember a few decades back when it snowed in San Antonio. Those
carports built out of 2x2s, corrugated fiberglass panels, and spit
didn't do well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2017 02:27 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Here in the Mohave Desert, when temps reach 110° F we just "damn it's
hot." It snowed ~ 8 inches twice since I moved here. It was mostly
melted the next day. Cars crashing every where.

Here (east Texas), we have significant snow about once every 9 or 10
years. The temperature is not as high as 110° but the humidity is bad in
the summer, so it's worse.

--
13 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The existence of God is inconsistent with the classical big bang
theory." Quentin Smith, "Atheism, Theism and Big Bang Cosmology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Bad side: More kids in schools so taxes go up.

Good side: More people paying into SS (if working)

--
Tekkie