Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Machinist's tools?

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-31, philo wrote:

if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

As a jr college trained machinist (I made a hardened adj surface gauge and
a non-hardened screw jack), I cannot say fer certain about the wrench,
but the screwdriver looks like a commercially available model, the
likes of which I've seen before. They even make reproductions:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-31, philo wrote:

if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

As a jr college trained machinist (I made a hardened adj surface gauge and
a non-hardened screw jack), I cannot say fer certain about the wrench,
but the screwdriver looks like a commercially available model, the
likes of which I've seen before. They even make reproductions:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

nb

Thank you.

So, the screw driver probably is commercial but the wrench might
possibly be "home made." I figured if it were a commercially made wrench
the sizes would be marked but this one has no markings on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2017 11:52 AM, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The screwdriver is a commercial made one. I've seen a couple of them
over the years and I'd guess at the date pre 1960.

The wrench does not look as finished as a commercial made too. The
shape is a common one and I had wrenches like that, inherited from my
grandfather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 12:49:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 11:52 AM, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The screwdriver is a commercial made one. I've seen a couple of them
over the years and I'd guess at the date pre 1960.

The wrench does not look as finished as a commercial made too. The
shape is a common one and I had wrenches like that, inherited from my
grandfather.

I've bought equipment that came with an inexpensive stamped metal wrench supplied to adjust a tool head. It could be what's in the picture. The screwdriver is a common design with the shank going all the way through so the end can be hammered on. Some lock-nuts on machine tools need such a screwdriver to tighten or loosen them by being tapped on with a hammer. Sort of like using a chisel. I've worn out Klein electricians screwdrivers on conduit lock-nuts by whacking on the end of the handle with my Klein linemans pliers.. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Whacked Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 12:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 11:52 AM, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few
days ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would
know if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The screwdriver is a commercial made one. I've seen a couple of them
over the years and I'd guess at the date pre 1960.

The wrench does not look as finished as a commercial made too. The
shape is a common one and I had wrenches like that, inherited from my
grandfather.

I got the tools from my step-dad and I suspect they might have been his
father's. I will have to ask him when I see him next week.

The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part
of a US Army tank took kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 02:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

At any rate, the tools are interesting, I still have some of my
grandfather's hammers too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
news
The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part of
a US Army tank took kit.

No, it said that screw drivers LIKE it were. We had its twin in our kitchen
drawer prior to WW2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 03:17 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
news
The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part of
a US Army tank took kit.

No, it said that screw drivers LIKE it were. We had its twin in our kitchen
drawer prior to WW2.

Maybe they said that so they could get sales for their Chinese knock
offs...at any rate I like the screw driver and still have some very old
wooden-handled hammers and hatchets etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:12:47 -0500, philo wrote:

The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part
of a US Army tank took kit.

I was Army Artillery. Self propelled, pull howitzers smaller. Never
saw these tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/31/2017 04:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:12:47 -0500, philo wrote:

The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part
of a US Army tank took kit.

I was Army Artillery. Self propelled, pull howitzers smaller. Never
saw these tools.

I was lead to believe it was WW-II.

You and I were in the Army at about the same time IIRC.

I was in '69 -'71 Air Defense artillery (Chaparral) and indeed we did
not have any wooden handled tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:52:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

They MAY have been, but they look early commercially made to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-31, philo wrote:

if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

As a jr college trained machinist (I made a hardened adj surface gauge and
a non-hardened screw jack), I cannot say fer certain about the wrench,
but the screwdriver looks like a commercially available model, the
likes of which I've seen before. They even make reproductions:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

nb

Thank you.

So, the screw driver probably is commercial but the wrench might
possibly be "home made." I figured if it were a commercially made wrench
the sizes would be marked but this one has no markings on it.

It lkooks loke a specialty wrench supploed woth some piece of
machinery - no sizes needed - just big and small ends.O.ve seen LOTS
of wrenches just like it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:30:59 -0500, philo wrote:

On 07/31/2017 04:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:12:47 -0500, philo wrote:

The link that "not bob" posted suggested that the screw drive was part
of a US Army tank took kit.

I was Army Artillery. Self propelled, pull howitzers smaller. Never
saw these tools.

I was lead to believe it was WW-II.

You and I were in the Army at about the same time IIRC.

I was in '69 -'71 Air Defense artillery (Chaparral) and indeed we did
not have any wooden handled tools.

No, just $600 allen wrenches masquerading as "azimuth adjusters"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:52:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The Screwdriver looks like an old fashion Irwin wood handle
screwdriver. I actually have a complete set of them. They are
virtually indestructible. Take a look at this:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

The wrench, looks like an old fashion bicycle cone wrench, used for
adjusting wheel hubs. How thick is the wrench? If it is thinner than
your average wrench, it is possible this is the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2017 07:47 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:52:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The Screwdriver looks like an old fashion Irwin wood handle
screwdriver. I actually have a complete set of them. They are
virtually indestructible. Take a look at this:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

The wrench, looks like an old fashion bicycle cone wrench, used for
adjusting wheel hubs. How thick is the wrench? If it is thinner than
your average wrench, it is possible this is the case.

Didn't take me long...I already used the screw driver today...it's damn
solid.

As to the wrench , it's made from 7/32" stock, the edges are ground
slightly crudely making me think that it /could/ be ""home made."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:46:17 -0500, philo wrote:

[...]

I love those screw drivers, they are made specifically so you can
pound on the metal part of the tang with a hammer and not damage them.
only problem is, slotted screws are going the way of the dodo,
thankfully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2017 03:34 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
[...]

Yes, I usually use Phillip's head so I can use my drill