Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Machinist's tools?

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 14:46:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 08/01/2017 07:47 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:52:58 -0500, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The Screwdriver looks like an old fashion Irwin wood handle
screwdriver. I actually have a complete set of them. They are
virtually indestructible. Take a look at this:

http://www.garrettwade.com/extra-hea...er-set-gp.html

The wrench, looks like an old fashion bicycle cone wrench, used for
adjusting wheel hubs. How thick is the wrench? If it is thinner than
your average wrench, it is possible this is the case.

Didn't take me long...I already used the screw driver today...it's damn
solid.

As to the wrench , it's made from 7/32" stock, the edges are ground
slightly crudely making me think that it /could/ be ""home made."

I love those screw drivers, they are made specifically so you can
pound on the metal part of the tang with a hammer and not damage them.
only problem is, slotted screws are going the way of the dodo,
thankfully.