Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Machinist's tools?

On 07/31/2017 02:00 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 12:49:36 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 11:52 AM, philo wrote:

Probably not true anymore but at one time, if one wanted to become a
machinist the very first project was to make your own tools. A few days
ago I was given these...they certainly do not look commercially
manufactured. Just wondering if any knowledgeable person here would know
if these might have been made by a machinist.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2ahqff6nh...tools.jpg?dl=0

The screwdriver is a commercial made one. I've seen a couple of them
over the years and I'd guess at the date pre 1960.

The wrench does not look as finished as a commercial made too. The
shape is a common one and I had wrenches like that, inherited from my
grandfather.

I've bought equipment that came with an inexpensive stamped metal wrench supplied to adjust a tool head. It could be what's in the picture. The screwdriver is a common design with the shank going all the way through so the end can be hammered on. Some lock-nuts on machine tools need such a screwdriver to tighten or loosen them by being tapped on with a hammer. Sort of like using a chisel. I've worn out Klein electricians screwdrivers on conduit lock-nuts by whacking on the end of the handle with my Klein linemans pliers. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Whacked Monster

At any rate, the tools are interesting, I still have some of my
grandfather's hammers too.