Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! my goodman central air quit working today:(

its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/2017 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

Starting Capacitor in the compressor died?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 10:27:21 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

The condenser fan motor capacitor may have failed or the condenser fan motor itself may have failed. Poke a stick through the grill and see if the fan spins freely. If it will not spin freely, it's an indication that the sleeve bearings have seized and the motor will need to be replaced. If you can spin it by hand, turn the power back on to the unit and spin the fan blade. If the motor then runs with your help starting it, it's an indication that the fan motor capacitor is bad.

On a 10 year old Goodman, it's usually the condenser fan motor or the capacitors on the fan or the compressor that fail first. When I was still working, me and the guys would always replace capacitors with a higher voltage rating than the factory installed units. When we started installing hard wired surge arresters on the condensing units for rural customers, the capacitors and circuit boards never failed again. The rural areas seemed to suffer from more frequent power surges. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/2017 10:32 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 7/12/2017 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt
running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i
pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

Starting Capacitor in the compressor died?

That'd be my guess . We have a Goodman unit at our house in Memphis , it
seems to blow the cap about every other year . Uncle Monster suggested a
surge protector , that might help .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/2017 11:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

I had same problem first time I turned mine on but it was just a broken
wire from the thermostat not sending signal and it sounds like something
is wrong with your compressor.

We have whole HVAC system on service contract although this time of year
it might take a day or two to get out tech.

To be on the safe side I ran to Lowes and got a portable unit so at
least I can keep bedroom cool.

I've heard of an unscrupulous outfit around here that offers round the
clock service at same price but is trained to tell homeowner that an
expensive replacement is necessary. You have to watch out for these.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:27:21 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

The weird sound may just be the contactor (relay). Is there voltage
at the contactor on the house side? Contactor closed, voltage on
the load side? Breaker been checked, recycled? What happens after
it's off for an hour, then you try to start it? Could be something
simple like a bad cap for the compressor or fan or it could be toast.