Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Help! my goodman central air quit working today:(

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:27:21 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

The weird sound may just be the contactor (relay). Is there voltage
at the contactor on the house side? Contactor closed, voltage on
the load side? Breaker been checked, recycled? What happens after
it's off for an hour, then you try to start it? Could be something
simple like a bad cap for the compressor or fan or it could be toast.