Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Help! my goodman central air quit working today:(

On 7/12/2017 11:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

I had same problem first time I turned mine on but it was just a broken
wire from the thermostat not sending signal and it sounds like something
is wrong with your compressor.

We have whole HVAC system on service contract although this time of year
it might take a day or two to get out tech.

To be on the safe side I ran to Lowes and got a portable unit so at
least I can keep bedroom cool.

I've heard of an unscrupulous outfit around here that offers round the
clock service at same price but is trained to tell homeowner that an
expensive replacement is necessary. You have to watch out for these.