Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My air compressor quit working

My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2013 04:47 AM, wrote:
How likely is it that the cap is bad?

3:1
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.

Could be a bad capacitor. My well pump quit a couple of weeks ago. An
above ground pump. It would just hum. I took off a cover and there was a
capacitor and a set of contacts that put the capacitor in the circuit on
startup. A piece of the contact block was broken and would not allow the
contacts to close. Replaced that and all was fine.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.
Does the electric motor output shaft turn.

If it doesn't, and the motor just hums, then my guess would be a bad starting capacitor. You don't have to buy a new capacitor from the company that made the motor or the compressor; any motor rewinding shop will have them for sale.

In a capacitor start motor, it's the capacitor that causes the magnetic field of the start winding to be offset by 90 degrees from the magnetic field of the run winding. It's that difference in timing of the magnetic fields that provides the torque to get the motor to turn. Without a working start capacitor, what the motor's rotor is seeing is an OSCILLATING magnetic field which doesn't provide the torque necessary to get the motor turning.

I'd definitely replace the start capacitor.

Last edited by nestork : November 21st 13 at 05:32 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.

It looks like everyone else pretty much nailed everything. Cap or contacts
on centrifugal cut-out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have a motor repair shop within a 10-mile radius? If so, take the compressor with the capacitor hanging on but mechanically loose to the repair shop. They can test the capacitor in about 10 seconds, and if it is bad they can hook up a replacement and you can see that it does work while you are there.

Alternative is to find someone with a multitester to test the capacitor. To do that, you will have to remove at least one lead from the capacitor so that it is connected on only one terminal. You then put a multitester set to ohms across the capacitor and connect it. The ohms will show a very low value and quickly rise to show an open circuit if the capacitor is good. Then if you reverse the leads and reconnect, the same thing should happen as your multitester reverses the voltage on the capacitor. If you don't get any indication that the capacitor is charging from the multitester, it may be open which would explain the non-starting.