Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! my goodman central air quit working today:(

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 10:27:21 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

The condenser fan motor capacitor may have failed or the condenser fan motor itself may have failed. Poke a stick through the grill and see if the fan spins freely. If it will not spin freely, it's an indication that the sleeve bearings have seized and the motor will need to be replaced. If you can spin it by hand, turn the power back on to the unit and spin the fan blade. If the motor then runs with your help starting it, it's an indication that the fan motor capacitor is bad.

On a 10 year old Goodman, it's usually the condenser fan motor or the capacitors on the fan or the compressor that fail first. When I was still working, me and the guys would always replace capacitors with a higher voltage rating than the factory installed units. When we started installing hard wired surge arresters on the condensing units for rural customers, the capacitors and circuit boards never failed again. The rural areas seemed to suffer from more frequent power surges. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster