Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steak cookin'

From the Daily Beast:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-perfect-steak.
OR http://alturl.com/yc837
Get the pans and paper towels out to do it best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2017 8:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the Daily Beast:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-perfect-steak.

OR http://alturl.com/yc837
Get the pans and paper towels out to do it best.

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/24/2017 8:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the Daily Beast:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-perfect-steak.

OR http://alturl.com/yc837
Get the pans and paper towels out to do it best.

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.

I disagree with his aging method. 21-28 days in a vac-sealed Umai bag
allows air out and keep cooties off the meat.

Greg does this 28 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMuWEhAWTc

Then he cooks them. (reverse sear method)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62EhKyq6aSg

Umai bags

https://umaidry.com/?rfsn=225932.2807b
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.

I got tired of fooling around with wimpy grills. I put an adjustable
regulator on mine so I can go all the way down to "smoker" heat or
crank it up to Ruth's Chris.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 11:31:40 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.

I got tired of fooling around with wimpy grills. I put an adjustable
regulator on mine so I can go all the way down to "smoker" heat or
crank it up to Ruth's Chris.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

(For the home (outside)

https://www.ottowildegrillers.com/?ref=11

Video:

https://www.ottowildegrillers.com/en/ottos-o-f-b-en/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:13:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 11:31:40 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.

I got tired of fooling around with wimpy grills. I put an adjustable
regulator on mine so I can go all the way down to "smoker" heat or
crank it up to Ruth's Chris.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

I can make the grates glow red. (not on purpose)
Normal grills run 11 inches of water. This regulator will go up to 20
PSI. In real life the range between 4 in/h2o and 16 in/h2o is plenty
to do anything from slow cooked chicken to a seared steak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:24:02 -0400, wrote:

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

I can make the grates glow red. (not on purpose)
Normal grills run 11 inches of water. This regulator will go up to 20
PSI. In real life the range between 4 in/h2o and 16 in/h2o is plenty
to do anything from slow cooked chicken to a seared steak.

Got a link to the regulator? I presume this is a modified propane gas
grill. My outdoor griddle has a higher PSI regulator. I like one for
the burner on my tripod type burner, which is 10 PSI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:04:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:24:02 -0400, wrote:

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

I can make the grates glow red. (not on purpose)
Normal grills run 11 inches of water. This regulator will go up to 20
PSI. In real life the range between 4 in/h2o and 16 in/h2o is plenty
to do anything from slow cooked chicken to a seared steak.

Got a link to the regulator? I presume this is a modified propane gas
grill. My outdoor griddle has a higher PSI regulator. I like one for
the burner on my tripod type burner, which is 10 PSI.

I got it on Ebay. It is the same kind you use on a turkey cooker but
cranked way down, hence the gauge..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:53:44 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 09:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/24/2017 8:25 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
From the Daily Beast:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-perfect-steak.

OR http://alturl.com/yc837
Get the pans and paper towels out to do it best.

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak in a
pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though. Wimpy
grills don't cut it.

I disagree with his aging method. 21-28 days in a vac-sealed Umai bag
allows air out and keep cooties off the meat.

Greg does this 28 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMuWEhAWTc

Then he cooks them. (reverse sear method)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62EhKyq6aSg

Umai bags

https://umaidry.com/?rfsn=225932.2807b

Interesting product, hadn't heard of them. But then steak houses
and meat suppliers all age beef open air. In NYC you can see it
hanging in the windows of the cooler. People don't seem to be
getting sick from any of that. I've done the dry aging thing in
my fridge, just put the meat on a cooling rack for a couple weeks.
I couldn't say it was worth it in the difference in taste though.
But then I only tried it once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Umai bags

https://umaidry.com/?rfsn=225932.2807b

Interesting product, hadn't heard of them. But then steak houses
and meat suppliers all age beef open air. In NYC you can see it
hanging in the windows of the cooler. People don't seem to be
getting sick from any of that. I've done the dry aging thing in
my fridge, just put the meat on a cooling rack for a couple weeks.
I couldn't say it was worth it in the difference in taste though.
But then I only tried it once.

Check out http://www.lobels.com/ in NYC. You can get Prime dry aged
meat, never frozen for a hefty price delivered to your door. Rich for
me but I will try one day. This is meat you don't cook "well done" :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Umai bags

https://umaidry.com/?rfsn=225932.2807b

Interesting product, hadn't heard of them. But then steak houses
and meat suppliers all age beef open air. In NYC you can see it
hanging in the windows of the cooler. People don't seem to be
getting sick from any of that. I've done the dry aging thing in
my fridge, just put the meat on a cooling rack for a couple weeks.
I couldn't say it was worth it in the difference in taste though.
But then I only tried it once.

Check out http://www.lobels.com/ in NYC. You can get Prime dry aged
meat, never frozen for a hefty price delivered to your door. Rich for
me but I will try one day. This is meat you don't cook "well done" :-)

I've had meat from Lobels, mainly their rib eye sandwichs at Yankee
Stadium. It's $15, but considering what typical crap stadium food
costs, IMO it's the best deal there. I've had some of their sausages
to. It's all been very good stuff, but you pay for it, those
sandwiches are quite a deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak
in a pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though.
Wimpy grills don't cut it.

I got tired of fooling around with wimpy grills. I put an
adjustable regulator on mine so I can go all the way down to
"smoker" heat or crank it up to Ruth's Chris.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

I can make the grates glow red. (not on purpose)
Normal grills run 11 inches of water. This regulator will go up to
20 PSI. In real life the range between 4 in/h2o and 16 in/h2o is
plenty to do anything from slow cooked chicken to a seared steak.

Dayum. add a forced air system and you've got yourself a mini kiln
Likely a one time use as things melt down kiln, but, a kiln for a
short period of time.

--
Nope, I can't go to hell.
Satan still has a restraining order against me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He's right, you can age meat a bit and you can get a good steak
in a pan. I still like the grill at 900 degrees to sear though.
Wimpy grills don't cut it.

I got tired of fooling around with wimpy grills. I put an
adjustable regulator on mine so I can go all the way down to
"smoker" heat or crank it up to Ruth's Chris.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grill%20regulator.jpg

Will it get to 1500º F (grin)

I can make the grates glow red. (not on purpose)
Normal grills run 11 inches of water. This regulator will go up to
20 PSI. In real life the range between 4 in/h2o and 16 in/h2o is
plenty to do anything from slow cooked chicken to a seared steak.

Dayum. add a forced air system and you've got yourself a mini kiln
Likely a one time use as things melt down kiln, but, a kiln for a
short period of time.

The only time I ever turn it up more than 14" or so of water is when I
am deep frying on the side burner and I am heating up a pot of oil.
There is far more pressure available than I would ever use but being
able to fine tune the heat is great. I am traveling and the house we
rented has a wimpy Charbroil gas grill that just ages steaks with all
3 burners on high and foil on the 2 side grates to send the heat to
the center one.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Mash%20stom...py%20grill.jpg