Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spray container problems

I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray the
contents.

On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the trigger
has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start working again.
Then the process repeats.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it
just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying to only
buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at all.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2017 9:24 AM, KenK wrote:
I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray the
contents.

On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the trigger
has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start working again.
Then the process repeats.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it
just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying to only
buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at all.

TIA

do you mean it fails while you are using it? Or you put it away for a
few days and fails?

If the latter, it may have lost its prime. You might try: squeezing the
trigger and holding it squeezed, put your finger over the spray tip to
block it, releasing the trigger. this will create a vacuum and cause it
to prime. At least that has worked for me in the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent wrote in
news
On 4/13/2017 9:24 AM, KenK wrote:
I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray
the contents.

On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the
trigger has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start
working again. Then the process repeats.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is
it just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying
to only buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at
all.

TIA

do you mean it fails while you are using it? Or you put it away for a
few days and fails?

The former.

If the latter, it may have lost its prime. You might try: squeezing
the trigger and holding it squeezed, put your finger over the spray
tip to block it, releasing the trigger. this will create a vacuum and
cause it to prime. At least that has worked for me in the past.

I suspect that might also work when you're using it. I'd try it but the
bottle of weed killer is now empty and in the trash. I'm getting a new
bottle Saturday and will likly use it Monday. Of it fails as usual I'll
try your suggestion then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:24:18 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it
just me and my product choices?

Be certain the hose is in the liquid and not in too far where it curls back up from the bottom into the air on top. If it is not a clear container I can see that being a possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray the
contents.

On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the trigger
has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start working again.
Then the process repeats.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it
just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying to only
buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at all.

TIA

This is a common problem with trigger sprayers. When working correctly the
pistons return spring will reload the piston cavity with a new volume of
fluid. If the chemical is not slippery enough the spring will not have
enough force to reload the piston quickly. If you waited long enough
between trigger pulls the piston will return, but who wants to wait. These
pumps work well with water, but other chemicals not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Apr 2017 16:24:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.

Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray the
contents.

On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the trigger
has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start working again.
Then the process repeats.

Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it
just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying to only
buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at all.

TIA

You are using re-purposed bottles? Find one (HD) that is intended for
multiple chemicals. If the plastic hose is turning up, put a metal nut
on the tube end to hold it down. Not all plastic spray bottles are
equal. Chemicals can damage the operation of them.

There is always the option of a propane torch to kill weeds.