Posted to alt.home.repair

Default container insulation

I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically either
frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has anyone done
this type of project? Would I do better using foam? Fiberglass? Whatever?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 6:19*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. *Basically either
frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. *Has anyone done
this type of project? *Would I do better using foam? *Fiberglass? *Whatever?

Steve

A guy & I turned a mini-storage container into a temperature
controlled room for test specimens (mostly for anchors in concrete or
concrete cylinders).

We figured that a closed cell foam was the best bet. ....... not
susceptible to moisture absorption.
We framed it out using treated timber, foam insulation and green
board.

It worked out fine.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but insulator
is not one of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2011 8:19 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically either
frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has anyone done
this type of project? Would I do better using foam? Fiberglass? Whatever?

Steve

Steve, I would glue 2" or more extruded foam (pink or blue) directly to
the container. If you need sanitation, glue FRP to the foam. If you
plan on being able to hang things on the wall(s), this will not be a
good solution.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to alt.home.repair

Need more information. You want to brew beer in a steel
shipping container? Really?

Years before I joined the Mormons, I used to brew beer. In
the cellar, near the laundry sink. Running water was needed,
to clean bottles and the 5 gal carboy. Do you have running
water and sink in your beer making area?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer.
Basically either
frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done
this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:22:52 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but insulator
is not one of them.

Put an ohmmeter across it. What does it read? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but
insulator is not one of them.

I'm sorry. Would you please explain what it is that you are talking about?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but insulator
is not one of them.

Actually it DOES have insulation value. Not MUCH. but 0.9 per inch -
better than any partical board, and about the same as hardwood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but

insulator
is not one of them.

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of them . .
.. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been resisting that idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire
retardant, but insulator
is not one of them.

Put an ohmmeter across it. What does it read? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but
insulator is not one of them.

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of
them . . . (-:

Oh, I've been called many things, including the Best Lover in Texas. I don't
mind.

The OP was asking about insulation. He suggested he was going to use
sheetrock. The insulation value of sheetrock is pretty near zero (1`/2" = R
0.45). He could get three times the insulation of sheetrock by using 1/2"
fiberboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but
insulator is not one of them.

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of
them . . . (-:

Oh, I've been called many things, including the Best Lover in Texas. I
don't mind.

The OP was asking about insulation. He suggested he was going to use
sheetrock. The insulation value of sheetrock is pretty near zero (1`/2" =
R 0.45). He could get three times the insulation of sheetrock by using
1/2" fiberboard.

If that's the way it came across, then I miswrote it. I ASS-U-MEd that this
being a home repair newsgroup that most people would recognize the time
honored tradition of the sequence of framing, insulating, then sheetrocking.
Apparently, some insist of everyone stating things PRECISELY EXACTLY right
in every manner, although most of them do no such thing or even close in
their own posts. Apparently, some do not recognize or know the sequence of
such a project. And some are just spoiling for a fight over any nit they
can pick.

And some are just stupid.

You can't fix stupid.

I talked to my resident contractor today, and he told me to furr out the
walls with 2 x 4, then insulate with fiberglass, then sheetrock. (That
includes mudding and taping for the clueless.) Then paint.

I was wondering if anyone had done this, and used foam. He said he had seen
it done with foam, and that the foam turned black, almost to the point that
it looked like it caught fire. I guess the foam gets pretty hot sitting
right next to the metal.

So, thanks to all who had anything pertinent to contribute. And for the
others, LOOK OUT, THERE'S A NIT ON YOUR CHIN!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:40:53 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but
insulator is not one of them.

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of
them . . . (-:

Oh, I've been called many things, including the Best Lover in Texas. I don't
mind.

The OP was asking about insulation. He suggested he was going to use
sheetrock. The insulation value of sheetrock is pretty near zero (1`/2" = R
0.45). He could get three times the insulation of sheetrock by using 1/2"
fiberboard.

No, the OP was NOT thinking of insulating with sheetrock - he was
going to frame and insulate and cover with sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:34:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've been resisting that idea.

You aren't willing to conduct an experiment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:41:51 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I talked to my resident contractor today, and he told me to furr out the
walls with 2 x 4, then insulate with fiberglass, then sheetrock. (That
includes mudding and taping for the clueless.) Then paint.

Speaking for myself, I would use urethane adhesive caulk to attach the
wood onto the metal, better than liquid nails, IMO.

This stuff will stick to a ball of lard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've got a lot of brass. I think you need to consider the
case of the copper clapper collusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlg31-1MRk
I could conduct a copper clapper caper, with Johny Carson.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I've been resisting that idea.

You aren't willing to conduct an experiment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 23:00:56 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You've got a lot of brass. I think you need to consider the
case of the copper clapper collusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlg31-1MRk
I could conduct a copper clapper caper, with Johny Carson.

Too funny! (but I really don't think you could)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message newsa-dnTDiO-
Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically
either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has
anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam?
Fiberglass? Whatever?

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but
insulator is not one of them.

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of
them . . . (-:

Oh, I've been called many things, including the Best Lover in Texas. I

don't
mind.

The OP was asking about insulation. He suggested he was going to use
sheetrock.

No, you misinterpreted him. He clearly said he was going to "either frame
it in wood or metal framing" then "insulate" and then "sheetrock." (I used
"then" instead of a comma delimited list to make it more clear to you since
you're still not "getting it.") You might have a case if he had written
"insulate WITH sheetrock" but he didn't.

The insulation value of sheetrock is pretty near zero (1`/2" = R
0.45). He could get three times the insulation of sheetrock by using 1/2"
fiberboard.

Doesn't matter what its R value is if he's not using it as a insulator.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Oh. Okay. I did misinterpret. I thought sheetrock was part of his insulation
plan. I'm sorry I got everybody so exercised and upset.

As an act of contrition, I will contribute one KFC lunch deal to the local
Salvation Army mission in my town. I'm sure they'll put it to good use,
possibly as insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Doesn't matter what its R value is if he's not using it as a
insulator.

Oh. Okay. I did misinterpret. I thought sheetrock was part of his

insulation
plan. I'm sorry I got everybody so exercised and upset.

This is Usenet where no nit goes unpicked. It's kinda like chimps grooming
each other. Eeiiiwu!

As an act of contrition, I will contribute one KFC lunch deal to the local
Salvation Army mission in my town. I'm sure they'll put it to good use,
possibly as insulation.

Possibly giving a homeless man a heart attack from KFC chicken isn't much of
a mitzvah. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Container cooling Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 22 July 26th 11 01:10 AM
Container for mercury Matty F UK diy 77 May 10th 11 09:55 PM
Container heating and cooling SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 0 September 16th 09 12:39 AM
Container hardware SteveB Metalworking 8 June 22nd 08 09:17 PM
Using used plastic container for oil Ted Bennett Metalworking 18 October 26th 05 04:04 PM