Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - for computer guys

http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-class...ccess-browser/

you can run the OS itself
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 07:11 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.

Yeah, I have been doing a lot of pointless stuff lately.

The weather was nice over the weekend so did a lot of long-needed minor
repairs to the house.

Then the weather got bad again and I got roped into chauffeuring around
some down-on-their-their luck friends.

My wife warned me not to get involved.
It was no big deal but man can some folks ever screw up their lives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:38:34 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.

I used to have a "Siren" file. Put it into the .bat file. Changing
shifts I waited for my relief to touch a key. The siren went off and
he panicked. LMAO. He thought he broke the world. "You messed up, the
boss will be mad at you!"

Had fun doing a screen capture shot of the Win98 desktop. Made it the
background. Staff would click the "icon" and nothing happened. It
was a hoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 08:38 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.

never heard of that one

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 08:24 PM, Oren wrote:
I used to have a "Siren" file. Put it into the .bat file. Changing
shifts I waited for my relief to touch a key. The siren went off and
he panicked. LMAO. He thought he broke the world. "You messed up, the
boss will be mad at you!"

You could do some interesting stuff with the 8253/8255 combo and the
speaker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQhf17i33g

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...lassical-music

Nothing like a little Ludwig Van to inform you your CPU is melting down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:43:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

I was testing some shareware apps back then (maybe before) for
possible purchase. From one of the major shareware sites at the time.
Downloaded a number of them serving the same basic functions.
One of them was by far the best of the lot until I navigated to one of
the most obscure functions. It led me to a dead end with a button
saying "Delete C:" with no way to back out. A very bad "joke."
Had to power off.
I emailed the site telling them about it, and had to respond to
whoever took care of such things, giving him the exact instructions
how to get there.
Then he emailed back and said "Thanks. It's gone."
And it was. Sometimes "jokes" send you backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news 2017 22:57:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane. Sadly, I actually have seen
ALL of those in real life. ROFL. I need a hobby. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news 2017 00:11:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.

bookmarked. Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a
simple utility to improve your computer performance. When you
clicked it "said" deleting all files. That never happened but
people panicked. It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the
power off switch. The file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and
it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c:
Drive in a fake windows explorer screen.

Haha.. That was actually ported from the original DOS one that did
the same thing using your PC speaker, not your sound card. Yes, the
PC speaker can do more than beep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren

wrote:

[...]

ROFL. One of my less harmful viruses had that for a payload. [g]

Had fun doing a screen capture shot of the Win98 desktop. Made it
the background. Staff would click the "icon" and nothing
happened. It was a hoot.

HAHAHA! Damn, we did this very same thing to a co worker on the NT
small business server. He was about to hit the damn reset button so
we told him what was really up. We uhh, didn't wanna **** the big
chief off by the co worker downing the file server while we had
workstations working off of it. IE: open copies of Quickbooks. That
could have gotten real messy, real fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Wed, 12 Apr 2017 03:25:35 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/11/2017 08:24 PM, Oren wrote:
I used to have a "Siren" file. Put it into the .bat file.
Changing shifts I waited for my relief to touch a key. The siren
went off and he panicked. LMAO. He thought he broke the world.
"You messed up, the boss will be mad at you!"

You could do some interesting stuff with the 8253/8255 combo and
the speaker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQhf17i33g

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ter-randomly-p
lays-classical-music

Nothing like a little Ludwig Van to inform you your CPU is melting
down.

you can even play a .wav file thru that speaker. [g] It sounds
terrible, but, you can do it. heh heh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith

wrote:

[...]

Yea, I know. I put an easter egg like that in one program of mine,
many moons ago. The joke went south, my program got toasted. They
refused to host it, ever again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 17:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane.

All I get (IE 11 & FF 52) is a grey background with 8 thin horizontal
rectangles of various greyscales about half the width of the page stacked
on each other and topped with the text:

THE RESTART PAGE IS NOW LOADING .....

Sadly, I actually have seen ALL of those in real life.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Does it need Flash or Java or
something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Dang! I had a collection of DOS programs that used the PC speaker to make sounds including "The Three Stooges" and one that cried,"Help! Don't touch me!" The last one was good to leave active on a computer at a secretary's desk while I was there working on systems. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Mischievous Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
news 01:40:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 17:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane.

All I get (IE 11 & FF 52) is a grey background with 8 thin
horizontal rectangles of various greyscales about half the width
of the page stacked on each other and topped with the text:

Hmm...I remember running across a wierd issue on a friends FF52 the
other day with wimp.com; it wouldn't load any of the graphics. I
double checked the site with another computer at his place and it was
fine. It was running FF52 plain, and his laptop was running FF52
funnelcake.

I'm using FF45.0.8 on this XP box, but, I doubt that is your issue.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Does it need Flash or
Java or something?

It is using a little bit of java script....and some jpgs...

Noscript is allowing the initial on site scripting to function, but,
blocked everything else. The images are jpgs... no flash that I see
in the source code.

From the site:

ul class="set"

li
!-- Windows 98 START --
div id="windows-98-container"
section id="windows_98" class="os m-active"

ul id="windows_98_checkboxes"

li
div id="win98_sb"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div
div class="radio-label"
img id="win98_standby" src="images/windows_98/stand-by.jpg"
alt="Windows 98 Stand by"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_sh"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div
div class="radio-label"
img id="win98_shutdown" src="images/windows_98/shut-down.jpg"
alt="Windows 98 Shut Down"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_re"
class="win98-radio os-radio win98-radio-accept"/div
div class="radio-label
radio-label-curr"img id="win98_restart" src="images/windows_
98/restart.jpg" alt="Windows 98 Restart"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_re_dos"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div

Do you have script blockers running?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:41:46 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Do you have script blockers running?

Good idea! FF52 only had 2 extensions, Google Secure Storage (disabled
because it is interminably slow) and the CryptoKey gizmo a few of us were
playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD. I uninstalled both, and the
web site is okay now. I should have removed them one at a time. If you
really want, I'll try to re-install them one at a time and see which causes
problems. I'm not even sure where I got them from.

NB: The only enabled FF Plugin is Flash, which is set "Ask to Activate".
There are also 2 disabled Plugins, but I cannot see how to remove them
completely. (OpenH264 Video COdec and Widevine ... Google)

IE11 still does not work; the only extension installed (but disabled) is
the Office Document Cache Handler. I cannot see how to uninstall it though.
When I click on it and select "More Information", the [Remove] button is
greyed-out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Fri, 14 Apr 2017
02:09:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:41:46 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Do you have script blockers running?

Good idea! FF52 only had 2 extensions, Google Secure Storage
(disabled because it is interminably slow) and the CryptoKey gizmo
a few of us were playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD. I
uninstalled both, and the web site is okay now. I should have
removed them one at a time. If you really want, I'll try to
re-install them one at a time and see which causes problems. I'm
not even sure where I got them from.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know which one is causing the
problem. Sure.

NB: The only enabled FF Plugin is Flash, which is set "Ask to
Activate". There are also 2 disabled Plugins, but I cannot see how
to remove them completely. (OpenH264 Video COdec and Widevine ...
Google)

Hmm...Give this a try:

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Probl...heme/ta-p/1235

IE11 still does not work; the only extension installed (but
disabled) is the Office Document Cache Handler. I cannot see how
to uninstall it though. When I click on it and select "More
Information", the [Remove] button is greyed-out.

Try this:

1. Run Registry Editor

2. Goto the following paths which contain all your IE Add-ons:

"Browser Extension" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Extensions"

"Browser Helper Object" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects
(this key may not exist on your machine. but, it's worth checking!)

3. Copy the Class ID of the Add-ons that you wish to remove, eg: {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} then delete it

4. Find the Class ID you copied in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" and delete it too.

Lemme know your results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14/04/17 03:09, Mike Duffy wrote:
the CryptoKey gizmo a few of us were
playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD.

What did BD do to **** YOU off Mike?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:35:09 +0100, David B. wrote:

On 14/04/17 03:09, Mike Duffy wrote:

What did BD do to **** YOU off Mike?

For one, pretentiously referring to himself using third person grammar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:49:52 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know which one is causing the
problem. Sure.

Do you recall the exact name? It was probably the symettric key text
encryption/decryption extension. I just checked, and there are over 1900
security-related extensions. The icon was always up top, but I don't think
anyone used it in the past year or so I did not pat much attention to it. I
think it looked like a stylized padlock.

In the meantime, I'll re-install access to my google drive. I do not think
this was the problem though. I had apparently disabled it after seeing how
slow it was.

As for IE11, I'd prefer to leave the office doc cache thing installed,
because I am almost certain that MS installs it by default and I want to
keep IE as 'stock' as possible. I only use it when I have problems with FF.

Currently, (sfter 52), FF support for google 'hangout' video-conferencing
is broken, and I do use IE for that sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Fri, 14 Apr 2017
23:48:34 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:49:52 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know which one is causing the
problem. Sure.

Do you recall the exact name? It was probably the symettric key
text encryption/decryption extension. I just checked, and there
are over 1900 security-related extensions. The icon was always up
top, but I don't think anyone used it in the past year or so I did
not pat much attention to it. I think it looked like a stylized
padlock.

CryptoData

http://www.s3blog.org/crypto-data

Currently, (sfter 52), FF support for google 'hangout'
video-conferencing is broken, and I do use IE for that sometimes.

FF does sometimes, break things when they do an update.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:25:36 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

CryptoData
http://www.s3blog.org/crypto-data

That did it! I installed the latest CryptoData from the above address, and
now http://www.therestartpage.com/# just gives me the stack of flat grey
rectangles topped with "THE RESTART PAGE IS NOW LOADING ...". (The cursor
is also stuck as a static non-revolving 'hourglass'.) FF 52.0.2 32 bit.

NB: The problem persists even after disabling the extension (& restarting
FF). It is now the *only* extension, and the only plug-ins are the "Ask to
activate" Flash 25.0 r0 and the two disabled ("Never Activate"):

OpenH264 (... automatically installed by Mozilla to comply with the WebRTC
specification)

WideVine ... Google

I cannot see how to uninstall either.

FF does sometimes, break things when they do an update.

The error message we get says that they are working to fix the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Sat, 15 Apr 2017
01:17:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 00:25:36 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

CryptoData
http://www.s3blog.org/crypto-data

That did it! I installed the latest CryptoData from the above
address, and now http://www.therestartpage.com/# just gives me the
stack of flat grey rectangles topped with "THE RESTART PAGE IS NOW
'hourglass'.) FF 52.0.2 32 bit.

Very odd. I'll check this a bit later on one of my FF52 series
machines. It works fine for me on 45.0.8...

NB: The problem persists even after disabling the extension (&
restarting FF). It is now the *only* extension, and the only
plug-ins are the "Ask to activate" Flash 25.0 r0 and the two
disabled ("Never Activate"):

OpenH264 (... automatically installed by Mozilla to comply with
the WebRTC specification)

WideVine ... Google

I cannot see how to uninstall either.

Did you try the instructions I provided previously?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:30:05 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Did you try the instructions I provided previously?

Those were for IE11, not FF. I want to leave IE as close as possible to
what Windows expects. Otherwise I suspect I may have problems with web
pages that embed Office docs.

The link to mozilla you gave (on removing extensions & themes) suggests
instead to simply disable problematic plugins, and they were already
disabled.

I did notice two dlls (npgoogletalk.dll & npo1d.dll) in directory

C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\plugins

Maybe they relate to the two a/n plugins, but should there not be one for
Flash (Ask To Activate) as well? If I'm not sure what they do, I am a bit
'hinky' about just removing them. The plugin entries would probably still
remain, but fail if I ever tried to activate them.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14/04/2017 14:35, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:35:09 +0100, David B. wrote:

On 14/04/17 03:09, Mike Duffy wrote:

What did BD do to **** YOU off Mike?

For one, pretentiously referring to himself using third person grammar.

Ah! You should have checked the message header! ;-)

--
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 23:45:38 +0100, David B. wrote:

Ah! You should have checked the message header! ;-)

Using multiple aliases is no excuse. Or are you trying to make it look it
look like someone else is forging you?

Or are you just so psychologically ****ed-up that you cannot keep track of
what the other identities in your mental disorder have posted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Sat, 15 Apr 2017
23:20:47 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 23:45:38 +0100, David B. wrote:

Ah! You should have checked the message header! ;-)

Using multiple aliases is no excuse. Or are you trying to make it
look it look like someone else is forging you?

Or are you just so psychologically ****ed-up that you cannot keep
track of what the other identities in your mental disorder have
posted?

****. Multiple choice. Is there an option for all of the above?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Sat, 15 Apr 2017
14:58:30 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:30:05 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Did you try the instructions I provided previously?

Those were for IE11, not FF. I want to leave IE as close as
possible to what Windows expects. Otherwise I suspect I may have
problems with web pages that embed Office docs.

Well, I provided two sets, actually. One for FF, one for IE. The FF
one was a link...

Btw, I tested the site using FF52.0.2 using the same plugins I have
on the Windows FF, the site loads fine. They are both using the same
version of CryptoData, too. I'm starting to wonder if you have
something borked in your profile configuration now...

The link to mozilla you gave (on removing extensions & themes)
suggests instead to simply disable problematic plugins, and they
were already disabled.

Actually, it goes a bit further than that. Provides instructions for
whacking the associated XPI files...but, the following is the nitty
gritty for doing it all by hand.

Anyhow. If you're using XP...

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox

You'll see a 'profiles' folder. Inside of this (back this entire
folder up, including the profiles.ini file in the firefox folder);
You can easily migrate your entire 'firefox' to another machine,
different, OS, whatever you like with that...

Head into your profile folder, you'll see some wonky generated folder
name. Enter it. Inside, is an extensions folder. This is where all of
your 3rd party firefox plugins live.

prefs.js is in the folder prior to the extensions. open it in
notepad. You can find most of the plugins you have by name and their
associated 'filename' in the extensions folder. Er, don't edit this
file in notepad.. it's very picky. just use it to help you determine
which is which in the extensions folder, and, whack the *******
accordingly.

Of course, you don't want to do any of this while firefox is running,
AND, backup your profile folder including the profiles.ini file
before you touch a damn thing.

You might not want to kill widevine though...It's a useful plugin.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Widevine_CDM

And if this doesn't work for you, post back and we'll go another
route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 00:36:38 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if you have something
borked in your profile configuration now...

This might have happened in the past. At one time I used 'Mozbackup' to
back up my profile and I did use it to restore everything the last time I
performed an image restore on C: to get out of a haranguing problem which
turned out to be hardware-related (*). The version of FF was not the same
as the one backed-up and I got one of those pointless unknown Windows
errors. (You know, "The system has encountered an unknown error . . .").

And if this doesn't work for you, post back and we'll go another
route.

Thanks for all your help, but since I don't use CrytoData anymore, and
removing it fixes the original problem (the 'restart' web-page not
working), I think I'll just leave things as they are (i.e. I will not try
to remove the diabled plugins). It is a bit strange that disabling
CryptoData was not enough, (i.e. the extension needed to be removed) but
I'm not really curious enough to dig deeper to find out why.

(*) When I boot, I need to leave the monitor powered off and wait until I
am sure it is at the main login screen. Powering it on before that will
leave the screen black. If I do a logoff or 'switch user', I also get the
black screen. I'm not certain if the problem is with the monitor itself or
the mainboard video card. Things work perfect if I fix my resolution to
640x480, but that gets really bothersome really fast.

I do not have another monitor, and I cannot see paying for another one
unless I get one bigger, which would require a better video card than the
built-in, which would cost a sizeable fraction of a newer & faster PC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Sun, 16 Apr 2017
05:14:42 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 00:36:38 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if you have something
borked in your profile configuration now...

This might have happened in the past. At one time I used
'Mozbackup' to back up my profile and I did use it to restore
everything the last time I performed an image restore on C: to get
out of a haranguing problem which turned out to be
hardware-related (*). The version of FF was not the same as the
one backed-up and I got one of those pointless unknown Windows
errors. (You know, "The system has encountered an unknown error .
. .").

ROFL. My favorite kind. "You little ****er, you know something went
south, but you can't even give me an idea what?" What it actually
means is the error isn't 'defined'. I suspect you know that though.

And if this doesn't work for you, post back and we'll go another
route.

Thanks for all your help, but since I don't use CrytoData anymore,
and removing it fixes the original problem (the 'restart' web-page
not working), I think I'll just leave things as they are (i.e. I
will not try to remove the diabled plugins). It is a bit strange
that disabling CryptoData was not enough, (i.e. the extension
needed to be removed) but I'm not really curious enough to dig
deeper to find out why.

Okay. If you happen to change your mind later, you can post here or
email me. You know (or should anyhow) how to reach me via email.

(*) When I boot, I need to leave the monitor powered off and wait
until I am sure it is at the main login screen. Powering it on
before that will leave the screen black. If I do a logoff or
'switch user', I also get the black screen. I'm not certain if the
problem is with the monitor itself or the mainboard video card.
Things work perfect if I fix my resolution to 640x480, but that
gets really bothersome really fast.

When you say powered off until you get to the login prompt, Do you mean
you can't have the monitor on to see post status? Does the monitor
remain black during post as well? If not, you might actually have a
driver issue with your video card.

I do not have another monitor, and I cannot see paying for another
one unless I get one bigger, which would require a better video
card than the built-in, which would cost a sizeable fraction of a
newer & faster PC.

I'm running a 20" widescreen (Acer x203h) on a riva tnt2 with
resolution setting at 1280x800. (yes, this box is that old). Runs
well, considering. I can't actually upgrade the video card too much
beyond this. The tyan tiger 230 board has a problem with wattage and
voltage on the AGP port. Exceed it and it'll hard lock once you get
into Windows.

Is your system even worse?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 10:48:44 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

When you say powered off until you get to the login prompt, Do you mean
you can't have the monitor on to see post status? Does the monitor
remain black during post as well? If not, you might actually have a
driver issue with your video card.

I did restore from an image backup and the problem persisted.

The POST (BIOS) screen (and safe mode and the Windows 'splash' screen)
display okay. But very soon after that, windows does some sort of query or
scan rate setting that makes it go black. (Also, the LED behind the power
button starts flashing.)

If I set the scan rate to 75Hz, it will similarly fail (75Hz used to work
before the problem manifested itself.) So I just set it at 1280x1024 60Hz,
and leave it powered off until I hear the login chime. I used "safe mode"
and gradually increased settings until I found what works.

I don't know why 'switch user' and 'log off' cause the black screen,
because Windows should not change video settings for these fucntions. When
I first had the problem, I was able to power of the monitor before either
and wait until I was sure that the login screen was displayed, but after a
few months this no longer works and I now need to reboot to switch users.

Is your system even worse?

It is a Compaq 7700 (Intel Q965 chipset) and the monitor is a Viewsonic
VA903. (4x3 aspect ratio 1280x1024 max).

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I still have the sprdrv.exe file somewhere to do that.

Computer Accessories | Computer Stores Samuel Charles UK diy 1 July 2nd 16 01:13 PM
(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input [email protected] Home Repair 30 February 3rd 15 05:27 PM
hey guys Srilankanet Home Repair 0 January 1st 08 06:51 AM
hi help me out guys [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 March 19th 06 10:05 PM
you guys pay too much Rwalling Woodturning 1 March 5th 05 07:39 PM