Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - for computer guys

http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 07:11 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.

Yeah, I have been doing a lot of pointless stuff lately.

The weather was nice over the weekend so did a lot of long-needed minor
repairs to the house.

Then the weather got bad again and I got roped into chauffeuring around
some down-on-their-their luck friends.

My wife warned me not to get involved.
It was no big deal but man can some folks ever screw up their lives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news 2017 00:11:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 4/11/2017 8:03 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Got it from this site:

http://www.pointlesssites.com/

which posts a lot of simple and quirky stuff.

bookmarked. Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:38:34 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.

I used to have a "Siren" file. Put it into the .bat file. Changing
shifts I waited for my relief to touch a key. The siren went off and
he panicked. LMAO. He thought he broke the world. "You messed up, the
boss will be mad at you!"

Had fun doing a screen capture shot of the Win98 desktop. Made it the
background. Staff would click the "icon" and nothing happened. It
was a hoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 08:38 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:50:55 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/11/2017 07:43 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c: Drive in
a fake windows explorer screen.

never heard of that one

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a
simple utility to improve your computer performance. When you
clicked it "said" deleting all files. That never happened but
people panicked. It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the
power off switch. The file was harmless.

Yes, I recall stuff like that.

I remeber one that made a sound like a centriguge spinning up and
it
said it was "drying out the hard drive" When it finished it made a
gurgling sound and If I remember correctly, showed a blank c:
Drive in a fake windows explorer screen.

Haha.. That was actually ported from the original DOS one that did
the same thing using your PC speaker, not your sound card. Yes, the
PC speaker can do more than beep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:43:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:03:17 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Best post I've ever seen here!!!

Back in the days of Win98 a small file was out. Looked like a simple
utility to improve your computer performance. When you clicked it
"said" deleting all files. That never happened but people panicked.
It was a joke. People freaked out hitting the power off switch. The
file was harmless.

I was testing some shareware apps back then (maybe before) for
possible purchase. From one of the major shareware sites at the time.
Downloaded a number of them serving the same basic functions.
One of them was by far the best of the lot until I navigated to one of
the most obscure functions. It led me to a dead end with a button
saying "Delete C:" with no way to back out. A very bad "joke."
Had to power off.
I emailed the site telling them about it, and had to respond to
whoever took care of such things, giving him the exact instructions
how to get there.
Then he emailed back and said "Thanks. It's gone."
And it was. Sometimes "jokes" send you backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith

wrote:

[...]

Yea, I know. I put an easter egg like that in one program of mine,
many moons ago. The joke went south, my program got toasted. They
refused to host it, ever again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/10/2017 05:57 PM, Frank wrote:
http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-class...ccess-browser/

you can run the OS itself
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank news 2017 22:57:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

http://www.therestartpage.com/#

Push the buttons for each system if you like.

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane. Sadly, I actually have seen
ALL of those in real life. ROFL. I need a hobby. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 17:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane.

All I get (IE 11 & FF 52) is a grey background with 8 thin horizontal
rectangles of various greyscales about half the width of the page stacked
on each other and topped with the text:

THE RESTART PAGE IS NOW LOADING .....

Sadly, I actually have seen ALL of those in real life.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Does it need Flash or Java or
something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
news 01:40:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 17:28:59 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Hah! Thanks man. A trip down memory lane.

All I get (IE 11 & FF 52) is a grey background with 8 thin
horizontal rectangles of various greyscales about half the width
of the page stacked on each other and topped with the text:

Hmm...I remember running across a wierd issue on a friends FF52 the
other day with wimp.com; it wouldn't load any of the graphics. I
double checked the site with another computer at his place and it was
fine. It was running FF52 plain, and his laptop was running FF52
funnelcake.

I'm using FF45.0.8 on this XP box, but, I doubt that is your issue.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Does it need Flash or
Java or something?

It is using a little bit of java script....and some jpgs...

Noscript is allowing the initial on site scripting to function, but,
blocked everything else. The images are jpgs... no flash that I see
in the source code.

From the site:

ul class="set"

li
!-- Windows 98 START --
div id="windows-98-container"
section id="windows_98" class="os m-active"

ul id="windows_98_checkboxes"

li
div id="win98_sb"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div
div class="radio-label"
img id="win98_standby" src="images/windows_98/stand-by.jpg"
alt="Windows 98 Stand by"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_sh"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div
div class="radio-label"
img id="win98_shutdown" src="images/windows_98/shut-down.jpg"
alt="Windows 98 Shut Down"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_re"
class="win98-radio os-radio win98-radio-accept"/div
div class="radio-label
radio-label-curr"img id="win98_restart" src="images/windows_
98/restart.jpg" alt="Windows 98 Restart"//div
/li
li
div id="win98_re_dos"
class="win98-radio os-radio"/div

Do you have script blockers running?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:41:46 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Do you have script blockers running?

Good idea! FF52 only had 2 extensions, Google Secure Storage (disabled
because it is interminably slow) and the CryptoKey gizmo a few of us were
playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD. I uninstalled both, and the
web site is okay now. I should have removed them one at a time. If you
really want, I'll try to re-install them one at a time and see which causes
problems. I'm not even sure where I got them from.

NB: The only enabled FF Plugin is Flash, which is set "Ask to Activate".
There are also 2 disabled Plugins, but I cannot see how to remove them
completely. (OpenH264 Video COdec and Widevine ... Google)

IE11 still does not work; the only extension installed (but disabled) is
the Office Document Cache Handler. I cannot see how to uninstall it though.
When I click on it and select "More Information", the [Remove] button is
greyed-out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Duffy
Fri, 14 Apr 2017
02:09:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:41:46 -0000 (UTC), Diesel wrote:

Do you have script blockers running?

Good idea! FF52 only had 2 extensions, Google Secure Storage
(disabled because it is interminably slow) and the CryptoKey gizmo
a few of us were playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD. I
uninstalled both, and the web site is okay now. I should have
removed them one at a time. If you really want, I'll try to
re-install them one at a time and see which causes problems. I'm
not even sure where I got them from.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know which one is causing the
problem. Sure.

NB: The only enabled FF Plugin is Flash, which is set "Ask to
Activate". There are also 2 disabled Plugins, but I cannot see how
to remove them completely. (OpenH264 Video COdec and Widevine ...
Google)

Hmm...Give this a try:

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Probl...heme/ta-p/1235

IE11 still does not work; the only extension installed (but
disabled) is the Office Document Cache Handler. I cannot see how
to uninstall it though. When I click on it and select "More
Information", the [Remove] button is greyed-out.

Try this:

1. Run Registry Editor

2. Goto the following paths which contain all your IE Add-ons:

"Browser Extension" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Extensions"

"Browser Helper Object" in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects
(this key may not exist on your machine. but, it's worth checking!)

3. Copy the Class ID of the Add-ons that you wish to remove, eg: {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} then delete it

4. Find the Class ID you copied in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" and delete it too.

Lemme know your results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14/04/17 03:09, Mike Duffy wrote:
the CryptoKey gizmo a few of us were
playing with a year or two ago to **** off BD.

What did BD do to **** YOU off Mike?

Computer Accessories | Computer Stores Samuel Charles UK diy 1 July 2nd 16 01:13 PM
(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input [email protected] Home Repair 30 February 3rd 15 05:27 PM
hey guys Srilankanet Home Repair 0 January 1st 08 06:51 AM
hi help me out guys [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 March 19th 06 10:05 PM
you guys pay too much Rwalling Woodturning 1 March 5th 05 07:39 PM