Posted to alt.home.repair

Default File transfers

Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just ain't
ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and I don't
want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on moving all
that data from one comp to another , and the only question I have is
whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff from OE on the
old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff won't be a problem ,
I'm using Opera on both .
--
Snag
Lookin' for the knee of the learning curve ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:51:51 -0500, Snag in the Shop
wrote:

Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just ain't
ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and I don't
want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on moving all
that data from one comp to another , and the only question I have is
whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff from OE on the
old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff won't be a problem ,
I'm using Opera on both .
--
Snag
Lookin' for the knee of the learning curve ...

Never ran OE (or Tbird) but my question would be if Tbird could import
the files. Look for an import function and see if it can happen and
convert the files for Tbird.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just ain't
ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and I don't
want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on moving all
that data from one comp to another , and the only question I have is
whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff from OE on the
old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff won't be a problem ,
I'm using Opera on both .
--
Snag
Lookin' for the knee of the learning curve ...

Never ran OE (or Tbird) but my question would be if Tbird could import
the files. Look for an import function and see if it can happen and
convert the files for Tbird.

I found the info shortly after posting ... now I gotta figger out how
to get the posts threaded again . Oops , pushed the wrong button .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag in the Shop news Tue, 11 Apr 2017 00:02:39 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I found the info shortly after posting ... now I gotta figger
out how to get the posts threaded again . Oops , pushed the wrong
button .

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2017 6:51 PM, Snag in the Shop wrote:
Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just
ain't ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and
I don't want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on
moving all that data from one comp to another , and the only question
I have is whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff
from OE on the old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff
won't be a problem , I'm using Opera on both . -- Snag Lookin' for
the knee of the learning curve ...

I waited until 1 week before the expiration of MS's free upgrade from
Win 7 to Win 10 to do the upgrade on my Dell PC. Your experience may
differ, but my upgrade was almost trouble free. My 2 biggest problems
were that (1) there was no product specific driver for my 10 year old
monochrome laser printer. I was able to use the printer but lost the
capacity to produce automatic duplex print outs. (2) the Win 10 driver
for my built-in wifi card reduced the send/receive speed to about 20% of
what it used to be despite trying several other drivers and adjusting
the settings. Problem solved by using an old external (USB) plug and
play wifi dongle from my junk box. Win 10 recognized it immediately,
installed it with the appropriate Win 10 driver, and I regained full
throughput speed. As far as Thunderbird is concerned, I've used it for
many years. When Win 10 finished installing and booted up, T-Bird was
there, just as I had left it before the upgrade. I recommend doing a
full backup of all critical data and non-OS application installation
files prior to the upgrade, but more likely than not, it will go well.
Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 5:51:28 PM UTC-5, Snag in the Shop wrote:
Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just ain't
ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and I don't
want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on moving all
that data from one comp to another , and the only question I have is
whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff from OE on the
old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff won't be a problem ,
I'm using Opera on both .
--
Snag
Lookin' for the knee of the learning curve ...

You can always back everything up to the free cloud storage included with Gmail or Hotmail. I have 114GB of unused storage on my Google Drive and 5GB on my Hotmail One Drive. Even an Amazon Prime membership includes unlimited photo storage. I've had a Gmail account for more than a decade which is why I have so much storage. A new Gmail account gives you 15GB Google Drive space. Anyway it's something to consider for saving your important files. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Saved Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2017 7:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

So? Depends on your needs. We have an XP system at work that runs two
programs to monitor a process. Works great, is not connected to the
internet, never needed support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:22:12 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

Do expect Win 10 to be supported for ever? Didn't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

Do expect Win 10 to be supported for ever? Didn't think so.

I thought that was the plan. Fukuyama's end of history applied to
Windows. It will just evolve with the DevOps continuous release scheme.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 7:27:08 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/11/2017 7:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

So? Depends on your needs. We have an XP system at work that runs two
programs to monitor a process. Works great, is not connected to the
internet, never needed support.

You just stated why it is a good idea to go ahead and download
W-10. He IS connected to the internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/2017 06:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going
to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as
XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

If it's like Win2000, it was almost 3 years between "end of life" and
when I found the OS unusable. For web access, I use Firefox, which was
still being updated. Maybe it'll be time to stop using Win7 in 2023.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If the Bible is telling the truth, then God is either untruthful or
incompetent. If God is truthful, then the Bible is either untruthful or
erroneous." [Rev. Donald Morgan, Atheologian]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski Wed,
12 Apr 2017 00:27:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 4/11/2017 7:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't
going to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same
boat as XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Exactly.

So? Depends on your needs. We have an XP system at work that
runs two programs to monitor a process. Works great, is not
connected to the internet, never needed support.

I covered that too. Dedicated machine, dedicated purpose.
The OP doesn't appear to qualify under those conditions...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd Wed,

Careful Mark, you might **** Trader off.