Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default File transfers

On 4/10/2017 6:51 PM, Snag in the Shop wrote:
Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has
a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just
ain't ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and
I don't want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on
moving all that data from one comp to another , and the only question
I have is whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff
from OE on the old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff
won't be a problem , I'm using Opera on both . -- Snag Lookin' for
the knee of the learning curve ...

I waited until 1 week before the expiration of MS's free upgrade from
Win 7 to Win 10 to do the upgrade on my Dell PC. Your experience may
differ, but my upgrade was almost trouble free. My 2 biggest problems
were that (1) there was no product specific driver for my 10 year old
monochrome laser printer. I was able to use the printer but lost the
capacity to produce automatic duplex print outs. (2) the Win 10 driver
for my built-in wifi card reduced the send/receive speed to about 20% of
what it used to be despite trying several other drivers and adjusting
the settings. Problem solved by using an old external (USB) plug and
play wifi dongle from my junk box. Win 10 recognized it immediately,
installed it with the appropriate Win 10 driver, and I regained full
throughput speed. As far as Thunderbird is concerned, I've used it for
many years. When Win 10 finished installing and booted up, T-Bird was
there, just as I had left it before the upgrade. I recommend doing a
full backup of all critical data and non-OS application installation
files prior to the upgrade, but more likely than not, it will go well.
Good luck!