Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT, T-Shirt Transfers.

I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by
printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper. Then,
you'd mix 2 things together, paint it onto the paper and iron onto the
T-shirt. I can't for the life of me remember what the two things
were....

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by
printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper.

When I was young, all TV's were in Black and White. I am not sure,
"computer" was in my vocabulary.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Nope. When I was young, computers were the things of the military and they
took up rooms.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by
printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper. Then,
you'd mix 2 things together, paint it onto the paper and iron onto the
T-shirt. I can't for the life of me remember what the two things
were....

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

When I was young, all TV's were in Black and White. I am not sure,
"computer" was in my vocabulary.

When I was about 11 or 12 (1955 or so) my Dad, who was in graduate school at
the time, brought home an analog computer to do computations for his thesis.

About as big as footlocker, it was the first one I ever saw, and the first
time I ever heard the word applied to a machine.

I was familiar with the word because prior to that my Dad had been a
"computer" (one of the math whizzes who slipped a slide rule all day) on a
seismograph crew when I was younger.

I remember being real interested in seeing who this "analog" guy was that
Dad was bringing home.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I was familiar with the word because prior to that my Dad had been a
"computer" (one of the math whizzes who slipped a slide rule all

day) on a
seismograph crew when I was younger.

I still have my log, log, deci-trig complete with leather case.

Still know how to use.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:03:22 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by
printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper.

When I was young, all TV's were in Black and White. I am not sure,
"computer" was in my vocabulary.

When I was young I remember UHF being new. Some rich people had color
a few years later. My Dad got one of those high tech calculators. A
TI50 maybe. Heck it has been so long ago. One of those calculators
with the red numbers he used for work as an engineer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

I was familiar with the word because prior to that my Dad had been a
"computer" (one of the math whizzes who slipped a slide rule all

day) on a
seismograph crew when I was younger.

I still have my log, log, deci-trig complete with leather case.

Still know how to use.

Although it's been years, most likely I could also. I used one exclusively
all through HS/college, and then again in the Army.

Just about any decent FDC (Fire Direction Center) guy (mostly math majors
and engineers during the draft years of the 60's)) could easily beat the
"FADAC" (Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer), aka "Freddie", hands
down with a slide rule.

It wasn't even close.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Behning" wrote in message

When I was young I remember UHF being new. Some rich people had color
a few years later. My Dad got one of those high tech calculators. A
TI50 maybe. Heck it has been so long ago. One of those calculators
with the red numbers he used for work as an engineer.

I bought one of those 4 function TI calculators with the tiny red numbers in
1972. That calculator helped me fly through Physics in college. I recall
the calculator costing me 30% more than my tuition that semester.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

When I was about 11 or 12 (1955 or so) my Dad, who was in graduate school
at
the time, brought home an analog computer to do computations for his
thesis.

My first introduction was when my father started working for Coastal States
gas Producing Co. in 1962. I was 7 or 8 when he took me down to the
computer room with the floors that had removable tiles for cables. The
computers filled the large A/C room and had those big spinning wheels like
reel to reels. It was not too many years after that in the 60's that he
showed me their rather crude but fast ink jet style printer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "
wrote:

I remember when I was young, you could put a transfer on a T-shirt by
printing from the computer onto Ordinary, bog standard paper. Then,
you'd mix 2 things together, paint it onto the paper and iron onto the
T-shirt. I can't for the life of me remember what the two things
were....

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Never heard of what you're describing, but they do make paper that is
coated in wax that you can print and transfer onto cloth with an iron.
Called wax-transfer paper at the store.

Are you sure the homemade version wasn't done in a different order-
like rubbing it with parafin wax, printing, and then ironing it on? I
would imagine that any household chemical that will dissolve the ink
out of the paper would cause the the colors and lines to bleed
together before you could get it on the t-shirt. I know the wax works
because the ink is on that, and it melts away when heated, releasing
the ink into the cloth- it's not actually printed on the paper, just
on the wax. Takes a trip through the washer before all the wax is
completely gone, but it works fine.

The second thing you're thinking of might be a solvent you can mix
with wax to get it soft enough to paint on that will evaporate
afterwards so that it will reharden, and that's what you're
remembering- but I would guess vigorously rubbing a sheet of paper
with a hunk of wax might do the job. Or even just printing on wax
paper from the store.

It's all speculation, though. The one time I did that for some reason
or another, I just bought the special paper from the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We still use rotary slide rules (E6B) today when flying small
airplanes. It works so well, it's a waste to pay $70 for an
electronic version.

Speak for yourself. ;-) I use an electronic E6B when I need something
for FAA tests. In real life, I use an Excel spreadsheet for flight
planning that calculates fuel burn and ground speed; I provide this
spreadsheet to my students as well.

I hate the mechanical E6B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Jim Behning" wrote in

message

When I was young I remember UHF being new. Some rich people had color
a few years later. My Dad got one of those high tech calculators. A
TI50 maybe. Heck it has been so long ago. One of those calculators
with the red numbers he used for work as an engineer.

I bought one of those 4 function TI calculators with the tiny red numbers

in
1972. That calculator helped me fly through Physics in college. I recall
the calculator costing me 30% more than my tuition that semester.

I'm from the same era, and calculators were actually banned at NJIT (then
known as NCE - Newark College of Engineering) because only the wealthier
students could afford them, giving them an unfair advantage. Most classrooms
were equipped with giant working models of slide rules, 6-8 feet long and
mounted on a wheeled wooden frame, to demonstrate basic through complex
calculations in math, physics, and chemistry.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message

students could afford them, giving them an unfair advantage. Most

classrooms
were equipped with giant working models of slide rules, 6-8 feet long and
mounted on a wheeled wooden frame, to demonstrate basic through complex
calculations in math, physics, and chemistry.

IIRC, they were the forerunners of "product placement", as they were
supplied by the manufacturers, complete with logo.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Jim Behning" wrote in
message ...

When I was young I remember UHF being new. Some rich people had color
a few years later. My Dad got one of those high tech calculators. A
TI50 maybe. Heck it has been so long ago. One of those calculators
with the red numbers he used for work as an engineer.

I bought one of those 4 function TI calculators with the tiny red
numbers in 1972. That calculator helped me fly through Physics in
college. I recall the calculator costing me 30% more than my tuition
that semester.

Fall of 1973 I sent a month's salary on an HP pocket calculator - one of
the earliest of HP's business lines. That thing lasted for 8 years or so,
until graduate school. It may still be hanging around in a box somewhere
in the attic. The one I bought in grad school, or it's replacement, is on
the desk next to my computer now. It's still the fastest way to do first
cut calculations on time and money flows. And they don't wear out, really.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "barry wrote:

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that
you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on
.... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch said:

Fall of 1973 I sent a month's salary on an HP pocket calculator - one of
the earliest of HP's business lines. That thing lasted for 8 years or so,
until graduate school. It may still be hanging around in a box somewhere
in the attic. The one I bought in grad school, or it's replacement, is on
the desk next to my computer now. It's still the fastest way to do first
cut calculations on time and money flows. And they don't wear out, really.

Patriarch

And as proof, here is the one I bought in high school with the hard
earned money from repairing teacher's 8 track tape players.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/TI1250a.jpg

It currently lives in the shop, for when my brain is dead.
It has out-lived many newer, fancier import models.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "barry wrote:

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that
you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on
... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.

Should be able to with a laser as they print on on the surface using a
heat-set plastic matrix, but I'd be very surprised if that worked with an
ink-jet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 03:07:54 -0500, Greg wrote:

Patriarch said:

Fall of 1973 I sent a month's salary on an HP pocket calculator - one of
the earliest of HP's business lines. That thing lasted for 8 years or so,
until graduate school. It may still be hanging around in a box somewhere
in the attic. The one I bought in grad school, or it's replacement, is on
the desk next to my computer now. It's still the fastest way to do first
cut calculations on time and money flows. And they don't wear out, really.

Patriarch

And as proof, here is the one I bought in high school with the hard
earned money from repairing teacher's 8 track tape players.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/TI1250a.jpg

It currently lives in the shop, for when my brain is dead.
It has out-lived many newer, fancier import models.

Oh, I don't know... I've got a TI-92 (much newer, though a little
rare) that has survived for many years. I got one of the prototypes
in exchange for developing some educational software for it for one of
my math professors, and it has recently been granted a new lease on
life by becoming my wife's college calculator.

It's fancy, to be sure- the only calculator I've ever seen with
drop-down menus, 3D graphing, CAD (a light version of it, anyhow), the
ability to solve complex calculus equations and a full QWERTY
keyboard. But it's built like a truck, and has a hard cover that
clips over it. Could be it's not an import, but I don't see that
sucker ever getting wrecked by anything short of a house fire or a
bullet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch said:

And they don't wear out, really.

And as proof, here is the one I bought in high school with the hard
earned money from repairing teacher's 8 track tape players.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...es/TI1250a.jpg

It currently lives in the shop, for when my brain is dead.
It has out-lived many newer, fancier import models.

Oh, I don't know... I've got a TI-92 (much newer, though a little
rare) that has survived for many years. I got one of the prototypes
in exchange for developing some educational software for it for one of
my math professors, and it has recently been granted a new lease on
life by becoming my wife's college calculator.

I guess my reply was a bit vague. I didn't mean to imply that the
newer TI models, import or otherwise, wouldn't last as long as the old
basic TI calculator. I was speaking primarily of the Casio/RS/etc.
import brands which became mainstream competitors.

Since computers were coming into vogue, I never bothered with buying
any more calculators, especially since portability for field work or
classes weren't a factor in my usage of a calculating device.

It's fancy, to be sure- the only calculator I've ever seen with
drop-down menus, 3D graphing, CAD (a light version of it, anyhow), the
ability to solve complex calculus equations and a full QWERTY
keyboard. But it's built like a truck, and has a hard cover that
clips over it. Could be it's not an import, but I don't see that
sucker ever getting wrecked by anything short of a house fire or a
bullet.

Sounds like an on-site engineers dream come true.

Both HP and TI seem to be able to make assorted plastic parts fit
together with more durability and longevity than competitors - albeit
for a price. ;-) Probably due to the intended market audience.
(Which I am not a part of...)

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg wrote in
:

I guess my reply was a bit vague. I didn't mean to imply that the
newer TI models, import or otherwise, wouldn't last as long as the old
basic TI calculator. I was speaking primarily of the Casio/RS/etc.
import brands which became mainstream competitors.

Since computers were coming into vogue, I never bothered with buying
any more calculators, especially since portability for field work or
classes weren't a factor in my usage of a calculating device.

My last calculator purchase (TI-89 Titanium) was a computer... At least
by definition. I'm very careful about mentioning that fact to my
teachers, as I sometimes smell fear of powerful calculators.

*trim*

Sounds like an on-site engineers dream come true.

Both HP and TI seem to be able to make assorted plastic parts fit
together with more durability and longevity than competitors - albeit
for a price. ;-) Probably due to the intended market audience.
(Which I am not a part of...)

Greg G.

I'd have to say the school calculator environment (TI's market) is one of
the most hostile that you'll ever have a device in. You've got lots of
kids who have nothing better to do there than mess with and abuse things.
Most TI calculators survive, but not all do.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 03:22:12 -0500, Greg wrote:

Oh, I don't know... I've got a TI-92 (much newer, though a little
rare) that has survived for many years. I got one of the prototypes
in exchange for developing some educational software for it for one of
my math professors, and it has recently been granted a new lease on
life by becoming my wife's college calculator.

I guess my reply was a bit vague. I didn't mean to imply that the
newer TI models, import or otherwise, wouldn't last as long as the old
basic TI calculator. I was speaking primarily of the Casio/RS/etc.
import brands which became mainstream competitors.

Ah yes. The Casios are kind of junky when you put them next to a TI.
Same deal as the tool industry, I'd guess- they're almost 1/2 the
price in a lot of cases, so they get sold. I'd wager TI owes a lot to
the school system- most of which is still suggesting their products,
and using them almost exclusively. My wife bought a cheap one, and
then took mine after she realized that all of the buttons had
different labels than the teacher's.

Since computers were coming into vogue, I never bothered with buying
any more calculators, especially since portability for field work or
classes weren't a factor in my usage of a calculating device.

I've always had a strong attraction/repulsion to calculators. I like
the built-in programming capabilities many of them have, but actually
feel like using a calculator for simple math is too much of a crutch.
Mine usually do duty as handheld units for collecting and interpreting
SPC data, or less useful things like playing old side scrolling video
games I putz around with programming from time to time.

It's fancy, to be sure- the only calculator I've ever seen with
drop-down menus, 3D graphing, CAD (a light version of it, anyhow), the
ability to solve complex calculus equations and a full QWERTY
keyboard. But it's built like a truck, and has a hard cover that
clips over it. Could be it's not an import, but I don't see that
sucker ever getting wrecked by anything short of a house fire or a
bullet.

Sounds like an on-site engineers dream come true.

Oh yeah- or even just a regular geek's. After the wife gets done with
her math class, it's going back to work with me. I don't actually
*need* it, it's just a useful toy for tracking SPC data that I'm not
actually required to worry about. (The boss doesn't seem to think
it's necessary, I just do it because I can.)

Both HP and TI seem to be able to make assorted plastic parts fit
together with more durability and longevity than competitors - albeit
for a price. ;-) Probably due to the intended market audience.
(Which I am not a part of...)

Most likely due to the target market, sure. The things have to hold
up to teenagers dropping them in a bag with a half-dozen huge, heavy
books with hard covers. If they couldn't take a beating, they'd be
useless to a lot of kids.

Never saw the HPs, but like you, I'm not part of the target market
anymore. Even if I head back to school one of these days, I can't
imagine *outgrowing* the one I've got, even if I majored in advanced
math or theoretical physics, which is pretty unlikely at my age. (I'm
not really "old" by most anyone's standards, but it's been long enough
that I imagine it'd be about as pleasant as a visit to the dentist
trying to get my semi-rusty brain to work that way again.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:23:37 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "barry wrote:

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that
you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on
... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.

Should be able to with a laser as they print on on the surface using a
heat-set plastic matrix, but I'd be very surprised if that worked with an
ink-jet.

Nah, my wife has done it with a HP Deskjet. That would be an inkjet
printer. Google search for Inkjet tshirt paper shows a bunch of
answers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:37:48 -0800, "barry wrote:

I do know they were common household things, but my mind is blank.

Any one know?

Barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Barry ... don't know about that concoction, but it's my information that
you can reverse print with an inkjet or a laser and iron the pattern on
... supposedly works well enough for scroll-sawing.

Should be able to with a laser as they print on on the surface using a
heat-set plastic matrix, but I'd be very surprised if that worked with an
ink-jet.

Nah, my wife has done it with a HP Deskjet. That would be an inkjet
printer. Google search for Inkjet tshirt paper shows a bunch of
answers.

I wasn't talking about using T-shirt paper, I was talking about printing
something on ordinary paper then ironing to transfer the image.