Posted to alt.home.repair

Default W/7 -8 Network password question

OK so I am running 7 or 8. Is there a way to disable that network
password deal so my XP machines or presumably other w/7 machines can
see it without jumping through those hoops?
I know 7 has serious problems seeing a W/98 machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 23:46:09 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Sat,
08 Apr 2017 04:31:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

OK so I am running 7 or 8. Is there a way to disable that network
password deal so my XP machines or presumably other w/7 machines can
see it without jumping through those hoops?

I don't want to make assumptions concerning your issue, so, can you
elaborate a bit more on the issue you're having?

I know 7 has serious problems seeing a W/98 machine.

That it does.

The 7 machine has no problem using my XP shares but it looks like I
need some kind of password to get from the XP machine to the 7
machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 20:27:29 -0500, philo wrote:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...295d514?auth=1
I will give it a shot

OK.
I used to have my machines networked but no longer bother.

If I need to transfer something I'll just use a USB stick.

I do have a network printer however and all machines can print to it.
Really simplifies things and saves a lot of money.

I have an XP file server, mostly just for music and video and I have a
W/98 laptop that runs a network printer and a big SCSI scanner. If I
ever make the switch to 7 or 8 I will lose that laptop I suppose. I do
have an XP "thin client" machine that will do the job but the laptop
is nice because it has the monitor and keyboard right there in a very
small package.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 01:08:10 -0400, wrote:

I have an XP file server, mostly just for music and video and I have a
W/98 laptop that runs a network printer and a big SCSI scanner. If I
ever make the switch to 7 or 8 I will lose that laptop I suppose. I do
have an XP "thin client" machine that will do the job but the laptop
is nice because it has the monitor and keyboard right there in a very
small package.

With a few tweaks, it is possible to network the systems via Windows
networking. See below for doing it with Win 3x/DOS network client. Note
that this is also the so-called "Share Level" security that can be
specified vs "User Level" on Win 9x systems.

Note that this will seriously degrade the security of your Vista/ 7/8/10
systems, and might cause access to "stock"-configured 7&+ systems to be
problematic.

If you need networking of specific directories, it will be easier to use
NFS instead. There are free NFS clients and servers for various versions of
Windows. Post a follow-up here or send email to my address in the headers
if you want to know how to find them. I have some that I have used to share
files between Win7 and Win 3.11 both ways, so anything in between should
work as well.

To share Win 3.1 files using SMB protocol:

Shares
======

On the Win2K/XP/7 directories to be shared, user "Guest"
give full access & control under "Security" tab.
(Recursively all the way down.)

For Read-only shares, under "Sharing" tab [Advanced] button,
to user "Guest" give permission: Read[x].

For Read-write shares, under "Sharing" tab [Advanced] button,
to user "Guest" give permissions:
Full Control [x], Change [x], Read [x].

The "Guest" account does NOT need to be "On".

XP/2K & 7&Up
============

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Dword DisableLoopbackCheck = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)
Dword LimitBlankPasswordUse = 0 (Default 1)
Dword LmCompatibilityLevel = 0 (Default No Key Present or 5)
Dword NoLmHash = 0 (Default 1)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
Dword RestrictReceivingNTLMTraffic = 0 (Default No Key Present or 2)
Dword RestrictSendingNTLMTraffic = 0 (Default No Key Present or 2)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser
Dword Start = 2 (Default 0)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters
Dword DisableStrictNameChecking = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)
Dword LmAnnounce = 1 (Default 0)
Dword RestrictNullSessAccess = 0 (Default 1)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorks tation\Parameters
Dword EnablePlainTextPassword = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Param eters
Dword AllowNBToInternet = 1 (Default No Key Present or 0)

Windows 7&Up

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Dword EveryoneIncludesAnonymous = 1 (Default 0)
Dword ForceGuest = 1 (Default 0)
Dword RestrictAnonymousSAM = 0 (Default 1)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
Dword NtlmMinClientSec = 0 (Default 0x2000000)
Dword NtlmMinServerSec = 0 (Default 0x2000000)