Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Huge foundry from 100 years ago

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:31:00 -0500, philo wrote:

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Thanks for posting. It was a good read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Cool story! That's part of the amazing history of America. We have something similar in downtown Birmingham called Sloss Furnaces. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

[8~{} Uncle History Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Thanks for posting - I like the chimney demolition story.
The factory-on-the-river photo reminded me of where I grew up -
- in a southern Ontario textile region - where the rivers were used
for power - and for industrial waste disposal ..
Can we expect a return to that under The Scary Clown ?
... I sure hope not.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:31:00 -0500, philo wrote:

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Good read Philo. Interesting is the two feet of fill dirt to cover
the chemicals left. Over the years, how did they affect the river and
environment.... Today it would be on a super fund clean-up site,
maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 06:58 AM, wrote:

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Thanks for posting - I like the chimney demolition story.
The factory-on-the-river photo reminded me of where I grew up -
- in a southern Ontario textile region - where the rivers were used
for power - and for industrial waste disposal ..
Can we expect a return to that under The Scary Clown ?
... I sure hope not.
John T.

To me it was an amazing find....

Just before I moved in just a few blocks away, it had been a warehouse
that had burned down. Never even knew that it was a factory.

They spent 40 years removing the bricks for re-use...still a few left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:31:00 -0500, philo wrote:

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Good read Philo. Interesting is the two feet of fill dirt to cover
the chemicals left. Over the years, how did they affect the river and
environment.... Today it would be on a super fund clean-up site,
maybe?

I thought it odd that they just covered over the chemicals.

For sure I'd have thought the land would have been excavated and re-filled.

The river had been polluted from various sources for many years but
today is reasonably clean.

A bit downstream were a few very smell tanneries which are long gone.

So odd to see expensive condos and apartments where it used to be the
worst part of the city.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 03:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Cool story! That's part of the amazing history of America. We have something similar in downtown Birmingham called Sloss Furnaces. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

[8~{} Uncle History Monster

Neat!

For my job I often went to foundries...really enjoyed seeing how real
work was done...but glad I did not work there
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 4:55:40 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 03/20/2017 03:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Cool story! That's part of the amazing history of America. We have something similar in downtown Birmingham called Sloss Furnaces. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

[8~{} Uncle History Monster

Neat!

For my job I often went to foundries...really enjoyed seeing how real
work was done...but glad I did not work there

There is a viaduct that crosses over train tracks right next to the old factory and I remember passing through Birmingham in the 1960's when Sloss Furnaces was still in operation and I would see flames shooting up out of stacks and the steam from the boilers. It was quite a sight at night. It was like passing over Dante's Inferno after dark. There must be a lot of places like that all over the country. It's interesting that iron ore was mined out of Red Mountain which is less than a mile from downtown to feed the steel mills back in the 19th century. I'm not sure when the mines in Red Mountain shut down without some research(the last mine closed in 1962) but there is a park and museum with the statue of Vulcan that sits atop Red Mountain where the radio and TV stations are. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_statue

http://visitvulcan.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mountain_(Birmingham)

[8~{} Uncle Iron Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 06:09 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 03:55 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/20/2017 03:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Cool story! That's part of the amazing history of America. We have
something similar in downtown Birmingham called Sloss Furnaces. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

[8~{} Uncle History Monster

Neat!

For my job I often went to foundries...really enjoyed seeing how real
work was done...but glad I did not work there

I drove for a steel supply company and would deliver fasteners and stuff
to Adirondack Steel. It always looked like photos from the '30s.

Now it looks like a state superfund site.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...te-6076155.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 7:01:41 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

I wish more people were aware of the history of The United States plus the people who worked so hard to build the country and the tragic loss of a lot of our heavy industry. We used to make things here and I really hope manufacturing is coming home to us. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Manufactured Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 06:01 PM, philo wrote:
Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

"Well my daddy worked the furnaces
Kept 'em hotter than hell
I come home from 'Nam worked my way to scarfer
A job that'd suit the devil as well
Taconite, coke and limestone
Fed my children and made my pay"

"From the Monongahela valley
To the Mesabi iron range
To the coal mines of Appalachia
The story's always the same
Seven hundred tons of metal a day
Now sir you tell me the world's changed
Once I made you rich enough
Rich enough to forget my name"

'Youngstown' Bruce Springsteen

For a guy that jumped on the Clinton bandwagon, he writes pretty good
songs. I don't know if he ever listens to them though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:01:38 -0500, philo wrote:

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR FUTURE AFTERLIFE WILL LOOK LIKE....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 08:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

I wish more people were aware of the history of The United States plus the people who worked so hard to build the country and the tragic loss of a lot of our heavy industry. We used to make things here and I really hope manufacturing is coming home to us. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Manufactured Monster

Milwaukee lost a lot of foundries and tanneries but the city really stank.

I like it better now where I don't have to drive miles out of my way to
avoid areas that used to make me gag.

Of course when I was younger those areas were were I lived because the
rent was so cheap.

We still have jobs here though but more in the service industries.

Times change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:52:52 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 03/20/2017 08:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

I wish more people were aware of the history of The United States plus the people who worked so hard to build the country and the tragic loss of a lot of our heavy industry. We used to make things here and I really hope manufacturing is coming home to us. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Manufactured Monster

Milwaukee lost a lot of foundries and tanneries but the city really stank..

I like it better now where I don't have to drive miles out of my way to
avoid areas that used to make me gag.

Of course when I was younger those areas were were I lived because the
rent was so cheap.

We still have jobs here though but more in the service industries.

Times change.

Birmingham switched from steel production to medical research and hospitals.. It's amazing what's going on at UAB Medical Center, other labs around the city and metro area. There are a lot of hospitals in the area too. I should know, I've been in a lot of them as either a patient or doing some work in them.

Manufacturing is making a comeback in the area after a lot of it went away in years past and it should make unemployment drop to lower levels. There is a revival of downtown living going on that should bring the city center back to life. Downtown was once a destination where everyone went for shopping and entertainment then it faded away. I used to go to the big Sears store that was downtown for many years until it closed. I haven't driven in several years so I haven't been able to travel around the city to see all the new stuff that been built like the baseball stadium and the new additions to the Interstate Highway ramps and interchanges. There is a lot of building going on especially on The South Side where UAB is eating the neighborhood to expand the medical complex. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Downtown Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 08:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Looks a bit run down!

One of my customers was a tannery and I got used to the smell so liked
going there. Little had changed in 100 years.

The machine shop had all the equipment such as lathes and drill presses
running off one large motor which had a huge leather drive belt,

Their intercom system used crank-stlye phones.

After it closed the plan was to turn it into condos but I was
skeptical...even if they could clean it up I don't think the smell ever
would have gone away.

Eventually it was partially blown down by a huge wind storm so the
structure was completely removed and the land cleaned up...and it is now
condos

Foundry Auction et al Frank Egan Metalworking 0 July 26th 07 06:21 AM
Foundry Fuel Wilson Metalworking 11 May 26th 05 11:12 PM
Propane foundry Gilbert Metalworking 5 April 19th 05 04:13 PM
Yet Another Foundry - Web Update Frank Metalworking 0 January 18th 05 07:13 PM
Foundry Web-Update Frank Metalworking 0 January 14th 05 04:38 AM