View Single Post
  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Huge foundry from 100 years ago

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 7:52:52 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 03/20/2017 08:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell

I wish more people were aware of the history of The United States plus the people who worked so hard to build the country and the tragic loss of a lot of our heavy industry. We used to make things here and I really hope manufacturing is coming home to us. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Manufactured Monster

Milwaukee lost a lot of foundries and tanneries but the city really stank..

I like it better now where I don't have to drive miles out of my way to
avoid areas that used to make me gag.

Of course when I was younger those areas were were I lived because the
rent was so cheap.

We still have jobs here though but more in the service industries.

Times change.

Birmingham switched from steel production to medical research and hospitals.. It's amazing what's going on at UAB Medical Center, other labs around the city and metro area. There are a lot of hospitals in the area too. I should know, I've been in a lot of them as either a patient or doing some work in them.

Manufacturing is making a comeback in the area after a lot of it went away in years past and it should make unemployment drop to lower levels. There is a revival of downtown living going on that should bring the city center back to life. Downtown was once a destination where everyone went for shopping and entertainment then it faded away. I used to go to the big Sears store that was downtown for many years until it closed. I haven't driven in several years so I haven't been able to travel around the city to see all the new stuff that been built like the baseball stadium and the new additions to the Interstate Highway ramps and interchanges. There is a lot of building going on especially on The South Side where UAB is eating the neighborhood to expand the medical complex. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Downtown Monster