Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Huge foundry from 100 years ago

On 03/20/2017 06:09 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

For my job I often went to foundries...really enjoyed seeing how real
work was done...but glad I did not work there

There is a viaduct that crosses over train tracks right next to the old factory and I remember passing through Birmingham in the 1960's when Sloss Furnaces was still in operation and I would see flames shooting up out of stacks and the steam from the boilers. It was quite a sight at night. It was like passing over Dante's Inferno after dark. There must be a lot of places like that all over the country. It's interesting that iron ore was mined out of Red Mountain which is less than a mile from downtown to feed the steel mills back in the 19th century. I'm not sure when the mines in Red Mountain shut down without some research(the last mine closed in 1962) but there is a park and museum with the statue of Vulcan that sits atop Red Mountain where the radio and TV stations are. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_statue

http://visitvulcan.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mountain_(Birmingham)

[8~{} Uncle Iron Monster

Yep, some of the foundries and drop-forges I went to reminded me of Hell