Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Huge foundry from 100 years ago

On 03/20/2017 11:58 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:31:00 -0500, philo wrote:

I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Good read Philo. Interesting is the two feet of fill dirt to cover
the chemicals left. Over the years, how did they affect the river and
environment.... Today it would be on a super fund clean-up site,
maybe?

I thought it odd that they just covered over the chemicals.

For sure I'd have thought the land would have been excavated and re-filled.

The river had been polluted from various sources for many years but
today is reasonably clean.

A bit downstream were a few very smell tanneries which are long gone.

So odd to see expensive condos and apartments where it used to be the
worst part of the city.