Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Huge foundry from 100 years ago

On 03/20/2017 08:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/20/2017 03:55 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/20/2017 03:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
I live just a few blocks from here but only recently found the history

https://milwaukeenotebook.com/2016/0...ational-brake/

Cool story! That's part of the amazing history of America. We have
something similar in downtown Birmingham called Sloss Furnaces. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloss_Furnaces

http://www.slossfurnaces.com/

[8~{} Uncle History Monster

Neat!

For my job I often went to foundries...really enjoyed seeing how real
work was done...but glad I did not work there

I drove for a steel supply company and would deliver fasteners and stuff
to Adirondack Steel. It always looked like photos from the '30s.

Now it looks like a state superfund site.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...te-6076155.php

Looks a bit run down!

One of my customers was a tannery and I got used to the smell so liked
going there. Little had changed in 100 years.

The machine shop had all the equipment such as lathes and drill presses
running off one large motor which had a huge leather drive belt,

Their intercom system used crank-stlye phones.

After it closed the plan was to turn it into condos but I was
skeptical...even if they could clean it up I don't think the smell ever
would have gone away.

Eventually it was partially blown down by a huge wind storm so the
structure was completely removed and the land cleaned up...and it is now
condos