Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub feet

I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910) clawfoot tub
, and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to force them , wouldn't
want to crack this thing ... I figger I need to get after either the feet or
the sides of the slot in the tub with a grinder , but which is not critical
.. My question is how loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light
interference fit or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them
in place while I roll the tub upright ?
Got all the bits and pieces ($$!) now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

BQ340 wrote:
On 2/10/2017 7:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910)
clawfoot tub , and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to
force them , wouldn't want to crack this thing ... I figger I need
to get after either the feet or the sides of the slot in the tub
with a grinder , but which is not critical . My question is how
loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light interference fit
or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them in place
while I roll the tub upright ? Got all the bits and pieces ($$!)
now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...

I recall them being a loose fit & they had a slot in them for a cut
nail to wedge them on place, but it has been a few years.......

MikeB

Hmm , I'll look tomorrow , there is one that will fit on one corner .
These slide onto a ledge kinda like a french cleat , I never looked at the
other end . Would make sense to use a wedge to lock them in place .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 2/10/2017 6:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910)
clawfoot tub , and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to
force them , wouldn't want to crack this thing ... I figger I need
to get after either the feet or the sides of the slot in the tub
with a grinder , but which is not critical . My question is how
loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light interference fit
or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them in place
while I roll the tub upright ? Got all the bits and pieces ($$!)
now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...

Maybe each foot only fits one specific slot?

Maybe , but I don't think so . Could not get eny of them to fit the one
corner . This tub has been refinished , could be that they just toss 'em all
in a pile and grab 4 when they send one out . Not a big deal , I have what I
need to modify them . My loving wife has always indulged my toolwhoredom ,
sure in the knowledge that the tools cost less than the repairs I do with
them would have cost ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 18:11:02 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910) clawfoot tub
, and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to force them , wouldn't
want to crack this thing ... I figger I need to get after either the feet or
the sides of the slot in the tub with a grinder , but which is not critical
. My question is how loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light
interference fit or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them
in place while I roll the tub upright ?
Got all the bits and pieces ($$!) now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...

I had a 1910 clawfoot tub, bought in upstate NY. Feet were loose. You
might check the screws in the feet. If the screws are bent they might
not tighten down correctly. I was able to get mine snugged up using
new screws,

Later sold the tub in NV after, a refinish of the tub (PA) and a
talon/ball claw feet.

Check if the screws are bent, if so, replace them. Finishing the feet
will not cause a problem for them being tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I tried the other day to mount the feet on our "new" (mfd 1910) clawfoot tub
, and they won't fit into the slot . I didn't try to force them , wouldn't
want to crack this thing ... I figger I need to get after either the feet or
the sides of the slot in the tub with a grinder , but which is not critical
. My question is how loose/tight do I want to fit these things ? Light
interference fit or a little loose and shim them with cardboard to keep them
in place while I roll the tub upright ?
Got all the bits and pieces ($$!) now and the Mrs. wants to soak ...

You want them as snug as possible without requiring excessive force
to install. Looseness allows movement, which can cause breakage.. If
you get too much clearance, use urethane to bond them in place (the
stuff they mount windshields with on late model vehicles)

Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet? [email protected] Home Repair 40 October 5th 17 10:08 AM
Nearly three feet Daniel Prince Home Repair 83 November 16th 13 12:18 AM
2 FEET shock current UK diy 2 August 9th 09 01:39 PM
Feet or No Feet watchec Woodworking 0 April 26th 08 07:49 AM
Put up your feet George Max Woodworking 2 October 25th 06 01:30 PM