Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding handyman?

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Feb 2017 18:11:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.
Any suggestions?
TIA

Is the tenant on death's door also ?
Perhaps, with your friendly supervision and encouragement -
- the two of you can get 'er done ? It takes about 5 minutes
to remove / install the door ; and maybe 10 minutes to
sand down the high spot ..
A professional will not get into his truck for this job.
... beware of the guy who will !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Feb 2017 18:11:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Ken,

Check this URL. Some are rated 5 stars in Yuma, AZ.

http://www.yellowpages.com/yuma-az/door-installers

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Presuming you did this work before and purchased doors or other services I
would reach out to those contacts and ask. Maybe at this stage in life it's
time to find a property management co.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message ...

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another couldn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

I guess you mean that you own the rental property. If so, that's going to
be an ongoing problem since you health is causing you problems and you will
certainly need to have other work done when tenants call about more issues.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find a local real
estate investor group to join in your area. I belong to two of them in my
area. Most of them have online discussion forums where the members can
share ideas and share who they use for various kinds of construction,
repairs, maintenance issues etc. You can try searching here for a group:

https://www.creonline.com/Real-Estat...ubs/index.html

Also, doors can be tricky -- sometimes an easy fix and sometimes they can be
a pain, especially old doors. So, the fact that one of the people you tried
couldn't fix it makes me think it may be one of the situations that is not
easily solved (or at least not for a very low price).

The person that I use for work like that works for himself and I pay him $30
per hour plus materials. That's not a high rate, but it is also not
ridiculously low like some people want to pay. For a small job, I assume
that I will be paying for his time on site as well as time needed to go buy
parts etc, and maybe even time to get to the job. I do it by the hour
because that seems the most fair to both of us, and he is always honest
about his hours. And, by doing it by the hour, he knows that when I have
other jobs, he will get paid for his time.

Good luck.

P.S. If you are willing to give a town and state location, someone here may
actually know someone in that area who can help.

--
I found this free and safe Windows Live Mail Newsreader QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:41:15 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Presuming you did this work before and purchased doors or other services I
would reach out to those contacts and ask. Maybe at this stage in life it's
time to find a property management co.

Finding a local real estate agent is a choice. "Who do the use" when
putting a house on the market? They have contacts they use for work to
be done. Cheaper than a property manager. The contacts get work via
the RE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:41:15 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Presuming you did this work before and purchased doors or other services I
would reach out to those contacts and ask. Maybe at this stage in life
it's
time to find a property management co.

Finding a local real estate agent is a choice. "Who do the use" when
putting a house on the market? They have contacts they use for work to
be done. Cheaper than a property manager. The contacts get work via
the RE.

Good point and a good idea. Local real estate agencies always need people
who can correct minor issues and do repairs that are cited in inspection
reports so their clients can close on the property they are selling. They
all have "go to" people that they can use and that they can suggest to their
clients.

--
I found this free and safe Windows Live Mail Newsreader QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 16:44:47 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

Finding a local real estate agent is a choice. "Who do the use" when
putting a house on the market? They have contacts they use for work to
be done. Cheaper than a property manager. The contacts get work via
the RE.

Good point and a good idea. Local real estate agencies always need people
who can correct minor issues and do repairs that are cited in inspection
reports so their clients can close on the property they are selling. They
all have "go to" people that they can use and that they can suggest to their
clients.

Right. When we both retired we bought rental homes for investment.
Intending the flip them. We held off for a couple of years, Later
sold them for double or more than we paid. Cash money and closed in 30
days.

Did our own work for fixes but moved into detailing homes for sale.
Small fixes, etc. We had a good team; a RE, insurance person, money
person, and some more, like Bibba

Like the OP age stopped that. An RE will be happy to offer a name of
someone that they prefer. Part of their "team".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2017 1:11 PM, KenK wrote:
My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Most professional tradesmen have a shared list of miserly cheapskates. If you're on the list, don't expect a call back. Are you a niggard?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:35:53 -0500, Clay wrote:

Most professional tradesmen have a shared list of miserly cheapskates. If you're on the list, don't expect a call back. Are you a niggard?

Why are you acting niggardly; instead of offering the OP some help?

....because you are a niggardly troll, that's why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I
need an
interior door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price,
so it will
close properly. The only two local handymen that advertise
were not
satisfactory in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another
never
called back. Can't get Angie's list to work - keeps
putting me on a
non-free list. Tried unsuccessfully searching Google for
handyman
reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Do you have www.nextdoor.com on your area?
If so, try asking there

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:15:13 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Do you have www.nextdoor.com on your area?
If so, try asking there

+1

Found a local plumber that way. Lives in our community area just a few
miles away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do you have www.nextdoor.com on your area?
If so, try asking there

+1

Found a local plumber that way. Lives in our community
area just a few
miles away.

Yup, found many a husband/small business guys that are more
than willing and able to make few bucks on the side

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/09/2017 06:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:35:53 -0500, Clay wrote:

Most professional tradesmen have a shared list of miserly cheapskates. If you're on the list, don't expect a call back. Are you a niggard?

Why are you acting niggardly; instead of offering the OP some help?

...because you are a niggardly troll, that's why.

We got too many lazy democrat niggards around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

TIA

I have a local community group on Facebook, with posts, refferels, comments
from locals. A great asset.

Greg

Handyman Special Just Wondering Woodworking Plans and Photos 35 June 23rd 08 04:27 AM
Gr8 Handyman TV DisTV Home Repair 0 May 1st 08 01:59 PM
The Handyman Tim Daneliuk Woodworking 3 October 25th 07 02:20 AM
Handyman David Lang UK diy 92 July 6th 05 09:36 PM
HandyMan No More Andrew McKay UK diy 16 March 21st 05 03:35 PM