Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_7_] TomR[_7_] is offline

Default Finding handyman?

"KenK" wrote in message ...

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior
door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close
properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory
in the past. Another couldn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get
Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried
unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions?

I guess you mean that you own the rental property. If so, that's going to
be an ongoing problem since you health is causing you problems and you will
certainly need to have other work done when tenants call about more issues.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find a local real
estate investor group to join in your area. I belong to two of them in my
area. Most of them have online discussion forums where the members can
share ideas and share who they use for various kinds of construction,
repairs, maintenance issues etc. You can try searching here for a group:

https://www.creonline.com/Real-Estat...ubs/index.html

Also, doors can be tricky -- sometimes an easy fix and sometimes they can be
a pain, especially old doors. So, the fact that one of the people you tried
couldn't fix it makes me think it may be one of the situations that is not
easily solved (or at least not for a very low price).

The person that I use for work like that works for himself and I pay him $30
per hour plus materials. That's not a high rate, but it is also not
ridiculously low like some people want to pay. For a small job, I assume
that I will be paying for his time on site as well as time needed to go buy
parts etc, and maybe even time to get to the job. I do it by the hour
because that seems the most fair to both of us, and he is always honest
about his hours. And, by doing it by the hour, he knows that when I have
other jobs, he will get paid for his time.

Good luck.

P.S. If you are willing to give a town and state location, someone here may
actually know someone in that area who can help.

--
I found this free and safe Windows Live Mail Newsreader QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/