Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric cord repair

I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 20:14:55 -0800 (PST), Ed60062
wrote:

I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

Most definitely NOT. Buy a replacement cord (the right one, not an
extention cord) and have it replaced properly. What make and model is
the vacuum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 11:14 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could
cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering
if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt
connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape.
I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I'd consider cutting the cord short and put a new end if it would not
cause a lot of problems in use.

How bad is the cut? If minor just on one side I'd tape it up, but only
if it can be done safely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 23:51:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/31/2017 11:14 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could
cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering
if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt
connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape.
I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I'd consider cutting the cord short and put a new end if it would not
cause a lot of problems in use.

How bad is the cut? If minor just on one side I'd tape it up, but only
if it can be done safely.

As long as it's not a retractable cord putting on a new end would work
- if it's done right. Vacuum cords take one heck of a beating - and
short ones even more because you are always at the end of the cord,
putting stress on the plug.. I've always been of the opinion that a
$20 OEM replacement cord is cheap insurance. I've occaisionally fitted
a cord from something else depending on the machine and how it is
fastened to the machine - but often the McGyvering required makes the
original cord a bargain - assuming it is available. I've done some old
retractors where the original part was not available, and it took some
searching to find a flexible enough cord that would handle the current
and still retract smoothly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 11:06:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

It isn't retractable. In the past, I've cut the cord, put on a new plug and used an extension. That works, but having a connector and plug is kind of bulky; that's why I was thinking of butt connectors. I'm curious as to why that is not acceptable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:14:58 PM UTC-6, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I've used liquid electrical tape to seal cuts in insulation on cords. I've also used self fusing electrical tape. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

https://www.amazon.com/self-fusing-e...ctrical%20tape

[8~{} Uncle Tape Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed60062 wrote:
[...]

Just think about "what could go wrong". It's not an idiot-proof connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:23:17 -0800 (PST), Ed60062
wrote:

I'm curious as to why that is not acceptable?

Cuz no one will be getting any of your money....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 12:23 AM, Ed60062 wrote:

It isn't retractable. In the past, I've cut the cord, put on a new plug and used an extension.

That works, but having a connector and plug is kind of bulky; that's why
I was thinking of butt connectors.

I'm curious as to why that is not acceptable?

Because there's the possibility you will not produce a safe repair. It
is always advisable for others to suggest the safest repair method since
asking a "how to" question in this group implies the assumption one
doesn't have the proper knowledge to ensure proper repairs.

As for me, without knowing the extent of the damage and assuming it's an
exposed wire, I'd repair it because I know how and have done so often.
Though, that's irrelevant since you've already made the repair.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 11:23 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
[...]

Other than for underground wiring connections, which are about like a
skinny cigar tube and have clamping screws and silicone gel to
weatherproof them, I don't recall seeing butt connectors rated for
household voltages. All that I have or have seen were for low voltage use.

Just replace the cord. BTW, if you look for it, you can find bulk
electrical cord made for vacuum cleaners (obviously flexible for the
retractable units). I once bought some for one of those older
Cord-O-Matic extension cord reels.

Heck, even Amazon.com has generic 30' replacement cords with molded
plugs for around $14

Posted to alt.home.repair

Other than for underground wiring connections, which are about like a
skinny cigar tube and have clamping screws and silicone gel to
weatherproof them, I don't recall seeing butt connectors rated for
household voltages. All that I have or have seen were for low voltage use.

You have seen very many then. The common vinyl insulated butt splices
are 600V rated. Some of the nylon type are 300V, some 600V.
non-insulated butt splices are just a copper tube. Do your own insulating.

Or the OP could use a Western Union splice and shrink tubing. That would
hold up better if you drag the vacuum around by the cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...

Other than for underground wiring connections, which are about like a
skinny cigar tube and have clamping screws and silicone gel to
weatherproof them, I don't recall seeing butt connectors rated for
household voltages. All that I have or have seen were for low voltage use.

I have used many of them on 120 volt AC circuits where I worked. They
were rated for 600 volts. Even Lowes has them at thie voltage rating.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...t-Splice-Wire-
Connectors/999952958

If it was my vacuum I would probably cut the wires in a staggered
lengths and solder them together and use some heat srink tubing as I
have this equipment in my house.
If only butt splices and tape were around I would use it. However for
those that have to ask, I would go with a new cord.

Guess the main questionfor me is how did the cord get cut in the first
place ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric cord repair (about spam)

On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter. That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Heck, even Amazon.com has generic 30' replacement cords with molded
plugs for around $14

Its only $14, but it's not here now. That gives the electrical tape a
BIG advantage.

BTW, tape does lose its stickiness with age, then you can use more tape.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"An idea is an eye given by God for the seeing of God. Some of these
eyes we cannot bear to look out of, we blind them as quickly as
possible." [Russell Hoban, "Pilgermann"]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 09:31 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Guess the main questionfor me is how did the cord get cut in the first
place ?

My parents had just bought a good vacuum cleaner with a long cord. Then
the dog shortened the cord.

BTW, it wasn't plugged in at the time.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"An idea is an eye given by God for the seeing of God. Some of these
eyes we cannot bear to look out of, we blind them as quickly as
possible." [Russell Hoban, "Pilgermann"]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-01 2:56 PM, Alan R wrote:
On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
software.
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter. That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

I use Avast too, it is easy to kill that signature.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 11:56 AM, Alan R wrote:
On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
software.
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter. That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

He is either a willing spammer or he is too lazy or stupid to remove it,
and since there is no benefit to responding to spammers, idiots, or lazy
people, it is a clear invitation to disregard anything preceding it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For a hundred reasons - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:44:32 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:14:58 PM UTC-6, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I've used liquid electrical tape to seal cuts in insulation on cords. I've also used self fusing electrical tape. ?(?)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

https://www.amazon.com/self-fusing-e...ctrical%20tape

[8~{} Uncle Tape Monster

As long as the insulation of the inner conductors isn't affected - -
-
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:14:58 PM UTC-6, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I've used liquid electrical tape to seal cuts in insulation on cords. I've also used self fusing electrical tape. ?(?)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

https://www.amazon.com/self-fusing-e...ctrical%20tape

[8~{} Uncle Tape Monster

As long as the insulation of the inner conductors isn't affected - -
-

If the wire strands aren't cut and it's just insulation damage, even if the wire is exposed, the liquid electrical tape will flow in and seal it up. I used to put self fusing tape over such a cut but if I was out of it, I'd wrap it with 3M 33+ tape then coat that with liquid electrical tape for a more durable repair. I have used heat shrink that had hot melt sealant inside but the problem is finding the right size that will slip over the plug. If not, the cord can be disconnected from the appliance and the heat shrink can be slipped over the pigtail if there isn't a big molded-on strain relief.. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Corded Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2017 5:32 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 02/01/2017 11:56 AM, Alan R wrote:
On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
software.
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter. That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

He is either a willing spammer or he is too lazy or stupid to remove it,
and since there is no benefit to responding to spammers, idiots, or lazy
people, it is a clear invitation to disregard anything preceding it.

Jon

Yep, that must be it, I work for Avast.....no wait! That's a lie.....I'm
too ****ing lazy....oh ****, that's not true cause it requires more time
to reply to you. I'm too ****ing stupid.....wait, that can't be true
cause I've identified your whiny character. You actually forgot an
option, I like to **** off the little bitches like you who's panties
bind over a little trivial signature. Thus, I don't give a ****. How's
that one?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 5:06:01 PM UTC-6, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Now I know where you got your nym. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Mean Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 14:01:11 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 02/01/2017 09:31 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Guess the main questionfor me is how did the cord get cut in the first
place ?

My parents had just bought a good vacuum cleaner with a long cord. Then
the dog shortened the cord.

BTW, it wasn't plugged in at the time.

Would have taught the dog a lesson if it was - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 11:14 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

Yes but you must have the completed repair inspected and approved by your homeowner's association chief electrical safety inspector before returning the vacuum to service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2017 05:23 PM, Bill wrote:
On 1/31/2017 11:14 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut
the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if
it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt
connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape.
I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

Yes but you must have the completed repair inspected and approved by
your homeowner's association chief electrical safety inspector before
returning the vacuum to service.

The poor ******* didn't say he lived in California... The solution is to
buy a new, CARB certified vacuum cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alan R" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
software.
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter.
What in the world is "Delimiter"

That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:54:08 PM UTC-5, Tony944 wrote:
"Alan R" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2017 07:43 AM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

---
software.
[spam URL snipped]

I suspect the writer of this spam knows he's using an invalid sig
delimiter.
What in the world is "Delimiter"

"A delimiter is a sequence of one or more characters used to specify the
boundary between separate, independent regions in plain text or other data
streams. An example of a delimiter is the comma character, which acts as a
field delimiter in a sequence of comma-separated values."

That way, unthinking posters become spammers too when they
quote the post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 02/01/2017 05:23 PM, Bill wrote:
On 1/31/2017 11:14 PM, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut
the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if
it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt
connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape.
I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

Yes but you must have the completed repair inspected and approved by
your homeowner's association chief electrical safety inspector before
returning the vacuum to service.

The poor ******* didn't say he lived in California... The solution is to
buy a new, CARB certified vacuum cleaner.

Does he have CARB certified undies?

--
Tekkie