Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric cord repair

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 4:38:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:44:32 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:14:58 PM UTC-6, Ed60062 wrote:
I have a vacuum cleaner cord with a cut in the insulation. I could cut the cord short and use with an extension cord but I was wondering if it is acceptable to cut out the bad part and use insulated butt connectors to join the ends and wrap the joint with electrical tape. I've never seen it done so maybe it's unsafe?

I've used liquid electrical tape to seal cuts in insulation on cords. I've also used self fusing electrical tape. ?(?)?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178

https://www.amazon.com/self-fusing-e...ctrical%20tape

[8~{} Uncle Tape Monster

As long as the insulation of the inner conductors isn't affected - -
-

If the wire strands aren't cut and it's just insulation damage, even if the wire is exposed, the liquid electrical tape will flow in and seal it up. I used to put self fusing tape over such a cut but if I was out of it, I'd wrap it with 3M 33+ tape then coat that with liquid electrical tape for a more durable repair. I have used heat shrink that had hot melt sealant inside but the problem is finding the right size that will slip over the plug. If not, the cord can be disconnected from the appliance and the heat shrink can be slipped over the pigtail if there isn't a big molded-on strain relief.. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Corded Monster