Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cord difficult to advance on electric weed trimmer.

I have a Weedeater brand and a Black and Decker brand electric weed
trimmer.

These have some kind of a centrifugal mechanism to advance the cord
but the cord seems jam up VERY frequently on BOTH machines.

Is there some particular trick to winding the cord onto the spool?

It is .080" round cord, just in case that might make a difference.

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Weedeater brand and a Black and Decker brand electric weed
trimmer.

These have some kind of a centrifugal mechanism to advance the cord
but the cord seems jam up VERY frequently on BOTH machines.

Is there some particular trick to winding the cord onto the spool?

It is .080" round cord, just in case that might make a difference.

About all I can tell you is to make sure the weedeater is running at full
speed when you bump the head on the ground.

When winding the string, hold the two lines parallel with each other and
try not to let them cross each other as you rewind them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 1:26*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
wrote in message

I have a Weedeater brand and a Black and Decker brand electric weed
trimmer.

These have some kind of a centrifugal mechanism to advance the cord
but the cord seems jam up VERY frequently on BOTH machines.

Is there some particular trick to winding the cord onto the spool?

It is .080" round cord, just in case that might make a difference.

About all I can tell you is to make sure the weedeater is running at full
speed when you bump the head on the ground.

When winding the string, hold the two lines parallel *with each other and
try not to let them cross each other as you rewind them.

Sorry I didn't explain more clearly but this is the type that you do
NOT bump on the ground.

It has a centrifugal advance.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a Weedeater brand and a Black and Decker brand electric weed
trimmer.

These have some kind of a centrifugal mechanism to advance the cord
but the cord seems jam up VERY frequently on BOTH machines.

Is there some particular trick to winding the cord onto the spool?

It is .080" round cord, just in case that might make a difference.

TIA

Lewis.

*****

Get rid of it and get one that you put the trim line on manually. Once you
learn how to operate them w/o breaking them it is MUCH better. The trick is
to angle the line away from the concrete or rocks. Then you can buy the line
in bulk and it is exponentially cheaper. I've never seen a pro landscaper
using a auto line feeder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 8:08*am, Bill Gill wrote:
On 8/2/2010 1:05 PM, wrote: I have a Weedeater brand and a Black and Decker brand electric weed
trimmer.

These have some kind of a centrifugal mechanism to advance the cord
but the cord seems jam up VERY frequently on BOTH machines.

Is there some particular trick to winding the cord onto the spool?

It is .080" round cord, just in case that might make a difference.

TIA

Lewis.

*****

I have had the same problem occasionally. *I really don't know
what causes it. *I was about ready to give up and buy prewound
spools, but couldn't fine any. *So I tried rewinding it again,
starting with fresh cord and after that it worked fine. *It
still tangles occasionally, but not nearly as badly as it was
for a while. *The best I can say is to rewind it carefully. *Try
not to force the spool completely full. *Mine uses a smaller
cord than that. *Something like a .064 if I recall correctly,
but I wouldn't want to bet on that, since I would have to get
up and go out and look to make sure.

And for the people who say that he just isn't bumping it right.
No you don't have to bump it, it is automatic. *I'm not quite
sure how it works, but it does. *And mostly it does it just
fine.

Bill

Thanks for your reply.

I sat down and re-wound the spool today, making sure to leave it
looser than previously.

It worked a LOT better, so I am a happy camper.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****